Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mystery cable

R

resto75

I was under my car today looking at the emergency brake cable and found that theres another cable there that is not part of the emergency brake and seems to do nothing that I can see.
It is a braded cable that is black plastic coated. It has a ball type end on both ends, and is about a foot long. It connected to two brackets which are bolted to the bottom of the car on each side of the driveshaft tunnel. It is very near the yoke for the emergency brake cable where the adjuster is, but does not connect to the emegency brake cable in any way.
It must be for something but I can't figure out what. Its a heavier cable than the emergency brake cable also.
Anyone know what it's for ???????????????

Roy

Could It Be?

Is there a parachute hidden behind the rear license plate?:confused I have no idea but until I found out, I wouldn't pull on it!!!:nono

:L You must have been hanging around Bud or Tom too long Lou. :eek:

_ken :w

No parachute but maybe it's for a ejection seat. You know there weren't any airbags back then.

Ken,

I resemble that remark.

:L That's funny, Lou said he resembled that "Insanity" post! :L

It's bad when you have kids that are older than your car.

Older than your car

I hope 59Tom doesn't have kids older than his car. If he does theres some of us who would fit the catagory.
Hi Dad !!!

Hey Roy, I apologize. :eek: I shouldn't have let it get out of hand like this. You're right; we're acting like children when you have a serious question. :eek:

I wish I could help you but the SHARKS we have so many of here, haven't bothered to respond yet. :eyerole

Lou and Tom are Solid Axle guys obviously, and I am a C4 owner who knows very little of the Shark make-up.

Somebody will chime in soon.

Ya hear that Yoda? :L

Thats not a problem Ken,,I'm just having fun. If anyone knows what the cable is for thats great,,If not it's not going to bother me. I was just curious as to what it was for.

Answer from a Shark Guy..

Don't pull on it - you'll go blind:Silly . I couldn't resist :J

-Guy

resto75 said:
I was under my car today looking at the emergency brake cable and found that theres another cable there that is not part of the emergency brake and seems to do nothing that I can see.
It is a braded cable that is black plastic coated. It has a ball type end on both ends, and is about a foot long. It connected to two brackets which are bolted to the bottom of the car on each side of the driveshaft tunnel. It is very near the yoke for the emergency brake cable where the adjuster is, but does not connect to the emegency brake cable in any way.
It must be for something but I can't figure out what. Its a heavier cable than the emergency brake cable also.
Anyone know what it's for ???????????????
Roy

I think I'll defer this question to stingray6974 If it isn't the cable going to the ebrakes.. I don't have a clue. :confused maybe the 75 has something I'm not aware of. But you say it is NOT connected to anything other than two brackets on each side of the frame across the driveshaft tunnel near the rear yoke??

Here is my WAG.... Maybe someone TOWED the car and used this set up to keep the driveline up after it was disconnected from the rearend...

BudD (Yoda)
:w

Maybe an aftermarket chassis-stiffener attempt or something like that? :confused

But as Guy said, "Don't pull on it - you'll go blind." :L

this cable may be a support cable for the seat belt underbody brackets:t

Ken said:
I wish I could help you but the SHARKS we have so many of here, haven't bothered to respond yet. :eyerole

I'm chiming and I think I have your answer. Ken's post prompted me to look under mine and I think I know what you're looking at.

It's the seat belt SAFETY cable. It's designed to hold the seat belt in the event that the interior mount breaks in a high speed crash. The two essentially support each other. Whatever you do, don't remove it as the results could be painful :hb.

The ball end of the cable should mount into a bracket that appears to be bolted directly through the fiberglass about two feet in from the outside of the frame rail on either side. You didn't mention this part but at the center of the car the cable should go through another loop bracket that is bolted to the rear cross member. That last part is the most important, if it is missing, replace it. There should be a hole in the rear cross-member for it to mount to. That's the part that keeps your gray matter from meeting the glass matter.

If this doesn't sound like what you're looking at, let me know.

I just found a picture of it on p. 109 of Corvette Central catalog #3B.

- Eric

There ya go Roy, I knew one of these predators would be able to answer your question. ;)

Go Blind?

OOOHHHhhhh....I GET IT!:L How about just until you need glasses?:cool And as for you Ken, I see NO reason why hanging around Bud or Tom could possibly be anything BUT a mind altering experience:crazy..........NO I DON"T wear glasses (except for reading)

Oh . . . I don't wear tri-focals . . . not yet!!

Eric,

Just when I come up with another good smart a** remark you show up with a logical explaination. Oh well. I'll save it for another victem.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom