Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need help with codes... please.

jim's82

Corvette
1982 Vette
I looked at the codes & what they mean (interior, exterior colors, etc.). I'm not sure that I'm looking at the right plaque here or not because none of the #'s or letters are making any sense to me. The plaque I'm looking at is located inside the driver door jam. It reads as follows:
C 10A 124915
22I 24L 24U E
CHEVROLET

I'm attaching pic's of the plaque I'm looking at, please advise. Thanks, Jim

Either I'm just pretty thick or my #'s are wrong. I can't find any of these that actually match the #'s on that site. The only # that shows up is the "24" but mine shows a "24L & a 24U". This just isn't making sense to me. I'm mainly wanting to check the original exterior color & the interior color & fabric. My car is Silver/Blue with Dark Blue Leather interior. I only want to know if it is all original. Looking at the codes below Silver/Blue Exterior did not have a Dark Blue interior or were these rules broken from time to time? If I'm reading this correctly, mine should have 24 for ext. color & 292 for DB/L. Please correct me if I've got this all wrong. Thanks for the help, Jim.

RPO Exterior Interior
10 White CH-CM-DB-DR-SGN-SGY
13 Silver Metallic CH-DB-DR-SGY
19 Black CH-CM-DR-SGN-SGY
24 Silver Blue Metallic CH-CM-SGY
26 Dark Blue Metallic CM-DB-SGY
31 Bright Blue CH-CM-DB-SGY
39 Charcoal Metallic CH-DR-SGY
40 Silver Green CH-SGN
56 Gold CH-CM
59 Silver Beige SB
70 Red CH-CM-DR-SGY
99 Dark Claret Metallic CM-DR-SGY
10/13 White/Silver CH-SGY
13/39 Silver/Charcoal CH-DR-SGY
13/99 Silver/Dark Claret DR-SGY
24/26 Silver Blue/Dark Blue DB-SGY

Abbreviations: C=Cloth, CH=Charcoal, CM=Camel, DB=Dark Blue, DR=Dark Red, L=Leather, SB=Silver Beige, SGN=Silver Green, SGY=Silver Gray

RPO Color Production
13C SG/C 992
29C DB/C 451
64C CM/C 350
67C DR/C NA
74C DR/C NA
132 SGY/L 3,083
182 CH/L 2,706
292 DB/L 2,750
402 SGN/L 757
592 SB/L (Collector) 6,759
642 CM/L 1,710
742 DR/L 4,444

jim,
I have a feeling everyone else is as stumped as you are ;) I'll check a few of my books and references tonight when I get home. It would be so much easier for me if you had a 1981 :D

Good Luck,, Don't despair or abandon ship just yet! Get out there and Enjoy the Ride!

Thanks Rare81, please let me know if you run accross anything that can clear my head of this confusion. Is it at all possible that this plaque didn't originate on this car? The VIN checks out as an 82 but I'm beginning to wonder if the plaque is off of a different year.

I seem to remember someone telling me that the "L" and "U" referred to Upper and Lower...as in two-tone, although it sounds like yours is the same color for both.

Maybe that's not right, it just seems to ring a bell.

Bill

jim,
I've looked through the "Corvette Black Book", "The Complete Book of Corvette 1953~1982", "Corvette America's Sports Car" several internet sites, and I come up empty handed. Sorry :(

Maybe if someone out here has a 1982 Corvette Assembly Manual... The assembly Manual has every reference to ALL options some that are not published elsewhere..

I wish you the best in your search, I'll keep an eye open too, I'll check this weekend with a friend of mine that has a 1982, he may have an assembly manual..

Just out of curiosity do the series of numbers 124915 match the S/N in the VIN (the last six digits)? That may explain those numbers :confused (the 1981 didn't do that, but that doesn't mean the 1982 didn't)

BudD
:bu :w

NOTE: If 124915 is your S/N then according to NCRS your car was built October 6, 1982 ;)

U & L do refer to upper and lower colours. Standard terminology for the General, even for one colour cars.

Wow!!! very good call!!!! You guys are right.... the #'s 124915 do match the VIN. And, the 24U & L makes it Silver/blue top & bottom. It's definitely coming together. Now I just can't figure out what the interior code means. Anyone have a clue???? Thanks, you guys are amazing!!

vette.jpg

FROM THE OFFICIAL GM PARTS MANUAL.
C10A REFERS TO DIVISION, BUILD DATE, ASSY PLANT ETC. JUST A GUESS BUT C=CHEVROLET, 10A=BUILD DATE ?? YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO FIGURE OUT THE 10A IF YOU CAN FIND WHAT VIN'S WERE MADE IN WHAT MONTHS. IT MIGHT MAKE SENSE THEN.
TRIM CODES... 221 APPEARS TO BE AN INTERNAL CODE FOR DARK BLUE. BESIDE THE PART DESCRIPTION FOLLOWS, IN BRACKETS, "DK. BLUE 221" WHEN REFERRING TO CARPET, DOOR PANEL AND ARM REST. IF THE DARK BLUE PART IS SPECIFICALLY LEATHER, THE WORDING IS "DK. BLUE 222 LEATHER". SO THE LEATHER OPTION WAS ONLY SEAT MATERIAL AND THE OTHER PARTS WERE COMMON TO ALL DARK BLUE CARS, CLOTH, VINYL OR LEATHER. HOPE WE'RE GETTING CLOSER. REGARDS

MORE....THE "E" AFTER THE 24U IS A PAINT TYPE CODE.

EVEN CLOSER????

Thanks sooooo much!!!! I was hoping that my car was original & now it's starting to look that way. These codes were an absolute mystery to me & you've cracked them!!! Great work & thanks again.

Now you can sleep!! You're welcome, happy to help and now I've learned something too..

Everything checks out fine - the trim codes for leather ended in both "2" and in "I" (not "1") at various times - either one is correct for identifying leather trim. As previously posted, the "U" and "L" refer to "upper" and "lower" body color, following the corporate Fisher Body paint code convention (although Fisher Body wasn't involved with Corvettes). The "E" indicates to the dealer that the car was painted with base/clear.

Thanks to everyone for your help with this. Since the #'s weren't exactly what I thuoght they were supposed to be, I was beginning to worry that I had a pieced together car. Not that piecing one together is bad but that's not what I was led to believe I was buying when I bought it.
Thanks again, Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom