Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Need immediate advice: buying a 2008 coupe with 5 scratches....

AV8R

Corvette
1974, 1990, 2008 Coupes
Fellow vette owners, I need you advice....

i own two vettes:
  • 74 black coupe (80k miles), garage queen, my first car
  • 90 white coupe (88k miles), daily driver, my second car

Now I'm considering to buy a 2008 black coupe with 26k that has all the hard to get features I've been looking for, but it has 5 scratches on it that have been just paint chip paint covered up. My questions to you are:

1. How much does this devalue an otherwise very well cared for and precertified one owner vette?
  2. what is a rough estimate to get these fixed by a proper shop?
  3. Would these stop you from buying this vette?

here's two of them:
photoapr15173334.jpg

photoapr15173316.jpg

photoapr15173407.jpg

It would not stop me from buying it.....but.....I would take it to a top notch painter and get a, I want it perfect paint job fix quote and after you find out what that is, start the negotiations......nice looking car.......good luck on it.

Figure several hundred bucks to blend the paint by a real pro. I would knock off $500 bucks from what I'd pay for the same car. The repairs and your time are easily worth that. To put your mind at ease, take it to a shop for an estimate before you buy. If the dealer balks, walk away. There are many nice 08s out there.

OK Gentlemen,

So scratches don't make you run from an other wise good vette. I still don't have a feel for what this does to the car's value, but I do have a rough feel that proper paint blending is in the order of $500 - $1000, for all these or each?

Both fortunately and unfortunately for me, this is CarMax I'm dealing with. The good news is that I can return it in 3 days and walk away minus my transfer fee (its in another state). Plus I have 30 days to have them fix anything serious as their expense. I went through this a year ago buying a 2009 GMC Arcadia for my wife. Went back 10 times and they fixed everything except for the paint chips and scratches (they have a policy of what is acceptable or not, including what you see in these pictures). So they did take care of the Arcadia and its a very good and clean vehicle. I hate, did I say hate, car salesman haggling; so the CarMax no haggle policy works both ways for me. Usually the cars/trucks CarMax get are in better shape than the average at a car dealership or private sale, AFAIK. Being able to return a vehicle and have it serviced for 30 days is something you won't get most anywhere else.

The bad side of CarMax is that you cannot argue the price with them for scratches or other things. You pay it or forget about it. Ive tried a few times and the Vette just gets sold anyways within a week usually. I will ask the sales manager about these scratches, but do I really want to lose this car after 1 year of trying and seeing 6 or so of these slip by, for what 500 or 1000 buck discount - even if they would do it? The other down side of CarMax is once the 30 days is up, they pretty much do nothing for you there after. You can use them as a mechanics shop or go to the local dealership. Theres no ownership of you once that 30 day warrantee period is up. They do sell 3rd party warrantees, which is good, but it has nothing to do with CarMax after you buy it.

So thats the good/bad/ugly of it. I know the decision comes down to if I can live with and be happy with a good vette with half a dozen scratches on it that not even my 74 or 90 vette have on them combined. Yes Im that particular. I guess if I can get these fixed without a full or major paint job costing 5/10/15/20K; but rather 1k; I can live with it. is that the case here?

Thanks for holding my hand while I flip flop on this decision. I have to get on or off the pot today as you can only hold a car off the market 1 day with CarMax. Look how clean she is inside for a 5 year old C6.
93219173255c17f482.jpg

Last edited:
What does CarMax want for the car and where is it located?

Got off the pot…

Well to my surprise, the "hold" on the car was released this morning. So much for holding it long enough to check back with me if I wanted it or not. Sales…. grrr….

Its going to cost me $550 to transfer the car to my local CarMax. So to not lose this Vette (I've been through this about 3-4 times now), I put down the ante to stay at the poker table. I guess Ive bought time to see and drive the car versus buying it sight unseen except for the usual 10 foot shots online. I did get the manager to give me close ups, which normally they won't do (which is why I didn't transfer the other ones Ive been considering over the past year). I don't want to gamble this kind of money sight unseen. At least this time I have the pictures of the damage as Ive shown you. What makes this car special is that it not only has my must have options/features, it has my full secondary list as well. Even rarer.

So from here, its wait a week or two to get the Vette here so I can inspect and ride it. Anything I should look for that are known problems?
Cost is $34K, which is between the KBB and Edmunds. CarMax is usually higher than buying off private, but like I said they usually are in good condition and covered for 30 days for all repairs and defects (apart from cosmetic).
Air Conditioning, Dual-Zone Automatic FrontLights
Alarm SystemLights, Daytime Running
Alternator, 70-AmpLights, Reading
Antenna, IntegratedMirror, O/S LH & Inside Automatic Day/Night
Axle Ratio, 3.42Mirrors
Axle, Limited Slip RearMirrors, Dual Heated Power
Brakes, Power 4 Wheel Disc with 4 Wheel ABSMirrors, Dual Illuminated Visor Vanity
Clock, Digital (w/Radio)Option Pkg 1LT
Communication System, OnStar w/Emergency & Safety ServicesPower Outlet, (1)
Consoles, Floor & Center w/StorageRadio Equipment, Auxiliary Input
Cup Holders, (2)Radio Equipment, XM Feature w/3-mos of Service
Defroster, Rear WindowRadio, AM/FM Stereo w/CD & MP3
Door Locks, Automatic PowerRestraint System, Dual Front Air Bag
Driver's Information CenterRoof Panel, Removable Solid
Drivetrain, RWDSeat Adjuster, Power Driver's
Emission Equipment, FederalSeat Trim, Leather Surfaced
Engine ImmobilizerSeats, Bucket
Engine Start, Remote ControlSpeed Control
Engine: V8, 6.2 LiterSteering Wheel, Leather-Wrapped Tilt
Entry System, Keyless Remote ControlSteering, Variable Assist Power
Floor MatsTire Pressure Monitor
Fog Lights, FrontTires, P245/40ZR18 Front & P285/35ZR19 Rear Run Flat
Fuel Tank, 18.0 Gal CapTraction Control
Headlamp Control, AutomaticTransmission, 6 Speed Manual
Headlamps, HIDTrunk/Hatch Release, Power
Light, Cargo Comp'tW/S Wipers, Intermittent
Light, Glove BoxWheels, 5-Split-Spoke Silver Painted Aluminum

<tbody>
</tbody>

My must have list was:
1. Black
2. HUD
3. NAV
4. TARGA
5. <$35K
6. <30K miles
7. Not in an accident and passes all the car fax items
8. Not driven in the winter where there is road salt
9. Interior is great shape and not any bright colors
10. Heated seats (hard to find on the West Coast) for my aching back.

Just the first 7 items usually reduces the field to one car per quarter across the country.
Many of the other features are either on my secondary wish list and even more than I had to have.
So you can see why the scratches (something I eschew on my vettes) had to be considered in light of these features.

Last edited:
Low miles and very nice shape - in the photos.

Find a detailer get a quote. Buy the car.

Best of Luck. :w

Well to my surprise, the "hold" on the car was released this morning. So much for holding it long enough to check back with me if I wanted it or not. Sales…. grrr….

Its going to cost me $550 to transfer the car to my local CarMax. So to not lose this Vette (I've been through this about 3-4 times now), I put down the ante to stay at the poker table. I guess Ive bought time to see and drive the car versus buying it sight unseen except for the usual 10 foot shots online. I did get the manager to give me close ups, which normally they won't do (which is why I didn't transfer the other ones Ive been considering over the past year). I don't want to gamble this kind of money sight unseen. At least this time I have the pictures of the damage as Ive shown you. What makes this car special is that it not only has my must have options/features, it has my full secondary list as well. Even rarer.

So from here, its wait a week or two to get the Vette here so I can inspect and ride it. Anything I should look for that are known problems?
Cost is $34K, which is between the KBB and Edmunds. CarMax is usually higher than buying off private, but like I said they usually are in good condition and covered for 30 days for all repairs and defects (apart from cosmetic).
Air Conditioning, Dual-Zone Automatic FrontLights
Alarm SystemLights, Daytime Running
Alternator, 70-AmpLights, Reading
Antenna, IntegratedMirror, O/S LH & Inside Automatic Day/Night
Axle Ratio, 3.42Mirrors
Axle, Limited Slip RearMirrors, Dual Heated Power
Brakes, Power 4 Wheel Disc with 4 Wheel ABSMirrors, Dual Illuminated Visor Vanity
Clock, Digital (w/Radio)Option Pkg 1LT
Communication System, OnStar w/Emergency & Safety ServicesPower Outlet, (1)
Consoles, Floor & Center w/StorageRadio Equipment, Auxiliary Input
Cup Holders, (2)Radio Equipment, XM Feature w/3-mos of Service
Defroster, Rear WindowRadio, AM/FM Stereo w/CD & MP3
Door Locks, Automatic PowerRestraint System, Dual Front Air Bag
Driver's Information CenterRoof Panel, Removable Solid
Drivetrain, RWDSeat Adjuster, Power Driver's
Emission Equipment, FederalSeat Trim, Leather Surfaced
Engine ImmobilizerSeats, Bucket
Engine Start, Remote ControlSpeed Control
Engine: V8, 6.2 LiterSteering Wheel, Leather-Wrapped Tilt
Entry System, Keyless Remote ControlSteering, Variable Assist Power
Floor MatsTire Pressure Monitor
Fog Lights, FrontTires, P245/40ZR18 Front & P285/35ZR19 Rear Run Flat
Fuel Tank, 18.0 Gal CapTraction Control
Headlamp Control, AutomaticTransmission, 6 Speed Manual
Headlamps, HIDTrunk/Hatch Release, Power
Light, Cargo Comp'tW/S Wipers, Intermittent
Light, Glove BoxWheels, 5-Split-Spoke Silver Painted Aluminum

<tbody>
</tbody>

My must have list was:
1. Black
2. HUD
3. NAV
4. TARGA
5. <$35K
6. <30K miles
7. Not in an accident and passes all the car fax items
8. Not driven in the winter where there is road salt
9. Interior is great shape and not any bright colors
10. Heated seats (hard to find on the West Coast) for my aching back.

Just the first 7 items usually reduces the field to one car per quarter across the country.
Many of the other features are either on my secondary wish list and even more than I had to have.
So you can see why the scratches (something I eschew on my vettes) had to be considered in light of these features.

You boiled it down for yourself when you asked yourself if you could live with the scratches. I have to say. looking at them, they are pretty gross on an almost new car. I couldn't live with them, but that's me.

i bought our 03 from carmax last august. it has similar scratches on it. that said i thought about getting them fixed. its a daily driver and i thought it would get scratched again anyways. Carmax was great. i forget about the marks until i wax it. if i get it fixed i know something else is going to happen to it LOL. you know best what you want and can live with.
jeff

Chevrolet : Corvette Base Coupe 2-Door in Chevrolet | eBay Motors

as a comparison data point, here's a currently active EBay listing for a triple black 2008 coupe with 54.5k miles going for $29,888. That's without HUD, NAV. Don't see what else it has. There's no 3day return nor 30 day warrantee on fix or replace. I will for arguments sake assume it doesn't have the level of external cosmetic defects. The interior does show 50k miles worth of wear.

Given the mileage and options differences, I would say both are priced reasonably for nice overall condition. Looking through the closed listings, 50k miles on a 2008 sell for around 27-30k. I have not seen one with these HUD/NAV options and low mileage as a direct comparison. The extra 5k is probably in line with these. No great deal here, just a fair market value it seems, scratches aside. The risk mitigation of going through CarMax exacts a price, which pays their bills and warrantee costs when averaged across all their sales. That's my theory anyways.

Last edited:
Are you sure that car has HUD/NAV......? Nevermind I can see the NAV but was having a hard time seeing the HUD in the pics. I did not see it listed in the list you provided. Is that the 6M shifter in 08? Looks more like an A6.......sorry just being curious.......

Last edited:
The vette has both NAV and HUD…
Look closely at the either 3rd picture from the top of the thread or the one below, then blow it up and look at the dash right before the windshield you'll see the HUD glass well.
9321917-2-3-d5489e76.jpg

Also shown below is the NAV system
9321917-22-3-6f83b47c.jpg

Again, the HUD/NAV combo really throws most of the vettes out of the search. Did another off CarGuru.com and none had both of these options, and their prices were a couple of K less as a result. I didn't expect to get them for nothing… I just didn't expect having to deal with numerous cosmetic issues. Guess it will take seeing it up close to know if Ill go for it.

The feature list above is what showed up when I hit the "Full Package Details" link. So you're right, it was not a complete list nor did it show my primary goal options/features. Here it is before that link was invoked

Equipment

• ABS Brakes
  • Air Conditioning
  • Alloy Wheels
  • AM/FM Stereo
  • Automatic Transmission
  • Auxiliary Audio Input <=== seems odd to be a pay for option, but it was in 2008 and my wife's 2009 Acadia. Without BlueTooth, its how I use my iPhone for music
  • Premium Sound: Bose Sound System
  • CD Audio <==== what is this? Didn't this go out with the 8-Track? Don't think Ive used a music CD in almost 10 years, or since the iPod was invented. ;)
  • Cruise Control
  • Front Seat Heaters
  • Head Up Display
  • Leather Seats
  • Memory Seat(s)
  • Navigation System
  • OnStar Trial Available
  • Power Locks
  • Power Mirrors
  • Power Seat(s)
  • Power Windows
  • Rear Defroster
  • Run Flat Tires
  • Satellite Radio Ready
  • Side Airbags
  • SiriusXM Trial Avail
  • Targa
  • Traction Control

Heres a picture of the steering wheel's paddle shifter for the automatic transmission
9321917-13-3-2083b47c.jpg

Heres the traction and suspension controls
9321917-26-3-3717f482.jpg

Hope that answers the questions.
Are there things about the 2008 I need to look out for mechanically or electrically?

Last edited:
I drove my '08 Vert from late 2007 to summer 2012. There were only 2 things that every came up and one doesn't apply to this car.

1. The clutch pedal went to the floor once and never came back up. Needed new master and slave cylinders and new clutch fluid and a new clutch to fix it.

2. Near total electrical failure once: Car went stupid just a couple of houses from home and did not recover without the dealer pulling and manually testing all the computers and then replacing 3 of them. Codes checks do not work when the system that stores the codes and "talks" to the test equipment is fried. Have no idea why it blew up 3 of the black boxes in the car - it just did.

The rest of the time, it was just about perfect.

I see this car has the MagRide shock system. I really like this system. It was on my '03 Vette, my '06 Vette, my '08 Vette, my '11 CTS V and is on my '13 427. I've never had any problems with the MagRide.

Thanks for that TUNA,

I once blew out a computer in the 90 vette, but it was due to condensation off a cup of water that was in the center console cup holder. Apparently water can run down and reach either a connector or module itself and blow it. What an oversight by system and interior layout designers (not electrical component designers). My 74 never blew out a single electronic thing. Is there anything electronic in it apart from the radio? wink-wink. Being 99% mechanical and analog, it probably will be one of the few vettes that survive an EMP hit.
:cool!:

Last edited:
DDLS3,

Car has that Knight Rider look to it, don't it? I do like the white/grey on black interior, rather than the reverse as in the car Im looking at.
Does have my major feature/options of HUD, NAV and TARGA, and is in the ball park both in mileage, color, and price.
Missing a few options like ride control and paddles (I think this one is a manual, which I like but not good for wife and kid).
Would have to pay shipping from Kentucky to California (probably same transfer fee); but what kind of purchase warrantee?

No cosmetic problems would be a nice offset. Cant tell from these pictures of course.
But another price data point that is almost the same car, apart from being manual vs automatic.
Thanks for taking the time to research and post this data!

:beer

Last edited:
I guess if I can get these fixed without a full or major paint job costing 5/10/15/20K; but rather 1k; I can live with it. is that the case here?

$5/10/15/20k? Kidding right? The guy I use ran the body shop for Rick Hendrick's City Chevrolet for years and would do a full paint very high quality job for the low end of that.

To be honest...
The last time I had a vehicle painted was over 20 years ago. That was my 74 Vette being sprayed with Deltron when it was relatively new. It still looks great on her.

I have no idea what it would cost to professionally "blend" these paint defects, each or together. If anyone has recent knowledge I would appreciate sharing it. I will take the car to a local shop or two, but until then its an unknown for me.

My neighbor has a 2004 competition yellow Z06 which had spun out. The back end had to be replaced then painted. The paint job alone was over 10k to do the tail and blend it to the rest.

Not sure what the status is on this possible purchase, but let me add my two cents. There are thousands of Corvettes for sale out there. Do NOT buy something that you don't really like. Just move on to something else. Those scratches are not just little surface things. They are deep. Plus the car is black so you can see everything on black.

Keep looking!

Elaine

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom