Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need INFO!!!HELP!!

Gadster

Corvette
2003 Electron Blue Coupe with Torch Red Interior
dear vette owners:i purchased a 2003 coupe which is Electron Blue(code 21u) exterior and torch red interior(code 703). unusual, but i have had no success in finding out how many were built with this combo. i called the museum, dealer and chevrolet in michigan,but no one has those stats. do any of you have access or info to answer my question. any help would be greatly appreciated. make it a great day. gadster

Gadster
Welcome to the CAC!

I am not sure that anyone can tell you the exact number that you want. The production statistics can be found here:

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c5/2003/2003prod.html

It says 967 coupes were produced in electron blue. However, red is not listed as a regular production interior color. Are you sure it came from the factory that way? In any case, it would be a rare combination.

dear drth; thanks for the reply.i am afraid you are right about finding the exact count.it is factory built. i am just surprised that with computers that chev. does not have the ability to cross-reference.thanks again for the welcome!!gadster

Can't you tell from the build sheet or some other #'s in the vin to see if it was factory that way? Just a thought.:confused

The factory nor the NCM keep that kind of data. As DRTH VTR mentioned, exterior colors are noted, but not exterior/interior combinations. If you have the original dealer invoice or factory build sheet, it might be worth holding on to, but in the grand scheme of things, the combination really won't make the car any more or less valuable in the future. Interior colors aren't worth much unless they are part of a specific RPO code, such as ordering an anniversary edition option.

Gadster,

First, welcome to the the Corvette Action Center - glad you joined us.

As for the production numbers of 2003 Electron Blue coupes with RED interior, I'm afraid you won't find those exact statistics anywhere. Given all the combinations of options, the record keeping would be a nightmare.

There is a method to estimate that information called "extrapolation." It is discussed in detail in Mike Antonick's book - the "Corvette Black Book." It is simply this... taking what you do know (production numbers) and extrapolating what you don't know (combinations).

In 1989 there were a total of 26,412 Corvettes built. There were 4113 built with manual transmissions. This is 16% of the total. There were 5426 with the White exterior color. So the number of White Corvettes with manual transmission can be calculated as 16% or 868. You did not specify if your interior was red base leather (6714) or red sport leather (425) so I used the total of 7139 with the red interior, which is 27% of total production. So an extrapolated estimate of the number of white 1989 Corvettes with manual transmission and red interior is 27% of 868 or 234.

That quote is from a thread in which another member asked the same questions. Read that thread by clicking HERE!

This link will take you to the CAC Model Center page for the 2003 Corvette. Click HERE! Once armed with the production numbers for your coupe you should be able to extrapolate at least in the ballpark how many Corvettes were produced like yours.

Good luck with it and post questions or figures as you go in this thread and we'll try to help you.

:wJane Ann

Interesting....There were 231 coupes produced with the RED interior - or 2%.
There were 967 coupes produced in Electron Blue.

If you figure that 2% of the EB coupes had the RED interior that's 19 Corvette coupes in Electron Blue Metallic with the red/black interior.

Like I said... that's a guess but it's probably the best you can do.

...torch red interior(code 703)...

This is the part that puzzles me.

Exterior Color Production [21U Electron Blue Metallic B-LG-LO-RB
Abbrv: B=Black, LG=Light Gray, LO=Light Oak, R=Firethorn Red, RB=Red/Black, S=Shale

It does not appear that blue with a red interior was an RPO at all.

It is certainly possible that someone ordered it this way, but it would be pretty uncommon.

This is the part that puzzles me.

Exterior Color Production [21U Electron Blue Metallic B-LG-LO-RB
Abbrv: B=Black, LG=Light Gray, LO=Light Oak, R=Firethorn Red, RB=Red/Black, S=Shale

It does not appear that blue with a red interior was an RPO at all.

It is certainly possible that someone ordered it this way, but it would be pretty uncommon.

Maybe you're onto something, Jim. I missed the 703 and used the stats for 70I. IF it is indeed a special order 703... he may have a 1 of 1. I'd definitely hold on to that build sheet!

JAG

dear owners:first let me say thank you for the welcome. i no longer feel lonely!!!the car was a factory order. i have the order sheet with the msrp prices and the inv. amt prices. is that the build sheet??it definitely lists the car as 21u electron blue exterior and #703 as torch red seating trim.when i called the dealer yesterday he remembers that some of those combos were ordered at kerbeck in atlantic city,nj. he also remembers 2005 vettes in that combo(2 cars). well, i thank you again and i will keep my ears close to the ground as more of you chime in with ideas. best wishes, gad

Hey Gadster...just so you know, we're a pretty relaxed bunch around here. You don't have to be so formal with your posts... ("Dear Owners")
:L
:beer

evo;it reflects my strict upbringing about formality prior to familiarity. thanks!!!gad

Blue with Red

It is a unique color combination. I did see one like that at Cruisefest 2006 in BG. It was parked over at the hotel parking lot next to the Cruisefest hotel.

BTW, Gadster, welcome to the :CAC

You may be interested to know I have a similar situation. My '72 is Targa Blue with a Red Vinyl interior. I have the build sheet (tank sticker) and it specifically states "color over-ride" and then "Red Vinyl Interior". I have not tried the extrapolation thing, but I do know it is pretty rare, indeed. Does it add value? I "extrapolate" that it does...;LOLIt does make it unique...different even...and not in a bad way-because it is a factory special order. My 2% of a dollar. ;)

Rick
:gap

rick;for me its not the dollar thing. i do not think this car will ever make me bill gates, but it is a conversation item and adds interest to my car hobby. thanks,gad

Saw your thread in here and wanted to say welcome to CAC! You might want to introduce yourself in the new members section of the forum too. That color combo you have sounds interesting, do you have any pictures that show off the colors together at all? You'll figure out before long that we love pic's around here!

Welcome again!

Saw your thread in here and wanted to say welcome to CAC! You might want to introduce yourself in the new members section of the forum too. That color combo you have sounds interesting, do you have any pictures that show off the colors together at all? You'll figure out before long that we love pic's around here!

Welcome again!

Gadster, Rascal made a good suggestion. When you have time, start a thread in the New Members Introduction Forum - Click Me to give others a chance to stop in and say hello.

That will give you a good idea of just how informal and friendly our members can be! I think you're going to like it here.

And he's right about the pix too. We love photos of Corvettes almost as much as we love Corvettes. ;)

I also have this color combo on a 2002 convertible 6 speed. I also have been trying to track the numbers down without any luck. I do know my car was built at the factory with torch interior as it is stated on the window sticker. I also have the order form taken from the dealership. I looked at the production numbers for EB paint and convertible in 2002 (1371) then backed out all the optional interior colors for 2002 (4 different colors) and ended up at (ZERO). Torch red interior is not listed in the interior list for my year so best I can figure is the factory may have taken a black interior car and changed the interior out. When ordered, the dealership did'nt want to take the order and the factory did'nt want to build this car. You're in the same boat as me at this point and asking everyone you can. I'm guessing only a handfull of our combos were produced. Best of luck
ElectronBlue1011.jpg

Vettesinthevalley013.jpg

logg;thanks for the reply. your car looks super.i would have loved to have the conv. version. the colors are striking . i thank you for posting the pictures since i am technologically impaired, i would not know how to post pictures. i just got dsl, since i had dial up. thanks again,gad

If that few were produced in EB that year ,I bet you are the only one with the torch red interior in a vert.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom