Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need M20 transmission parts HELP!

65stinger

Corvette
1965 Nassau Blue Conv
Hey folks, I'm kinda in a major bind. I'm having my trans rebuilt using a rebuild kit from CC. The problem is where it calls for 4 sets of 20 needles bearings (where their stacked) my needs 24....don't understand why...so I'm approx. 6 short after using some old ones that I had found. Secondly: I have lost the bearing reatainer nut, which uses left hand threads. I've called, but my understanding is they've quit making that part. Can someone help me figure out where I can get these parts? Thanks for your help.....

Hi 65Stinger,

I just finished up rebuilding my M21. I got all the parts I needed from Streetwise Performance in New Jersey. 973-786-7500. The nut came with the rebuild kit I bought. The problem you are experiencing with the bearings may be due to your cluster gear shaft size. If you got a kit for a 7/8" shaft and actually have a 1" shaft, it would take more needles. I'm sure if you give Ken a call at Streetwise he can help you out.

Also. check out 5speeds.com. They have a wealth of information about Muncies on this site too.

Good luck ! :w

Thanks guys, I found them at streetwise, excellent work. Not being familiar with these trans, Can a 1" come in a M20.....I'm just not clear how these things are so different.

Regardless of ratios (M20 or M21), all '63-'65 Muncies had a 7/8" countershaft, and '66-up were 1"; the needle rollers are both different diameter and quantity for each size countershaft.
:beer

OK, someone tell me if this right, The main shaft on a T-10 has a count of 20 inner needle bearings stacked 4 deep and the Muncie has a count of 24. I was looking at the shop manual, and it doesn't specify what trans it is, but looking at the side covers, it seems thats what the difference is........

I see John, thanks for the help. My case numbers are Main: 3851325, ext: 3846429, and side: 3831707. Which are good, but I'm sure the gutts can be interchangable. Due to me being new, I hope everyone is patient with me. I'm trying to learn these vettes as well as understanding what I have....Thanks again.

You have a '64-'65 Muncie case, with a 7/8" countershaft; it takes (20) rollers at each of the four locations. The later Muncies with a 1" shaft take (28) smaller-diameter rollers at each location.
:beer

Thats exactly what's puzzling. In the corvette shop manual, it illustrated 2 4-speed transmissions. One which has the 20 needle stack, and the other which has the 24 needle stack. According to my model year and the numbers, one would say I've got the 20 stack. Thats not the case, I've got the 24 needle stack, which al I can figure out, is at one time or another someone must have changed the gutts out to some extent and kept the casings. I guess that's possible, not sure though. I do know those are my case numbers, and for a fact it took 4 stacks of 24 and it went together flawlessly. It's these small things that drive me crazy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom