Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need new tires Michelin vs. Goodyear? Thoughts?

Consider going with non-runflats... That gives more options. Anyway, when is the last time you had a tire go flat suddenly and strand you? The quality of tires these days makes that much less common, so runflats are correspondingly less important. I would have gone with Kumhos, but they don't make them sized for the back of the C6Z06, so I got Nittos, and they are quieter and stickier than Goodyears.
Gersh

Hi Gersh. So when did I last have a tire go flat suddenly and strand me....that would be about 4 months ago. My original equipment GY F1's...had a rear one pick up a screw that went into it at just the right angle to ruin the tire. Pancaked on me almost instantly. Hobbled into a station and reinflated... pancaked again....completely ruined. I luckily was across the street from a Goodyear tire place. Next time, I may not be so lucky so even though the Run Flats give you some since of security for flats even they can suffer the perils of screws and nails.

I like both the standard C6 Goodyear F1 GS2 or the Pilot Sport ZP.

I was just reading about the Pilot Sport ZP online. Tire Rack doesn't have them in the sizes needed to replace my original C6 equipment, any idea of where to find them??

Hi, Vette Girl 70:

I emailed the Tire Rack a week or so ago about availability of the new Michelin PS2-ZP's. Michelin is making them as OE on the new ZR1, and will be bringing them out in the other Vette sizes, too. Tire Rack says that they should be available in August. Hope my Supercars last that long!

Rick :w Save the Wave!

Hi, Vette Girl 70:

I emailed the Tire Rack a week or so ago about availability of the new Michelin PS2-ZP's. Michelin is making them as OE on the new ZR1, and will be bringing them out in the other Vette sizes, too. Tire Rack says that they should be available in August. Hope my Supercars last that long!

Rick :w Save the Wave!

Thanks for the info Rick. I know what you mean, my Supercars are just about bald. I've made numerous calls and it's tough to find anyone with a full set in the C6 size...everything is on backorder! Of course, there are still a few that have those horrible Supercars in stock but I refuse to buy another set of those overpriced worthless tires. I've got my eye out for the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval RFTs as well but there again...backorder. Guess that's the price we pay for driving our sweet rides. :) :v

Just remember that marketing flim-flam is persistent in the tires biz. Just because another brand of type of tire is cheaper, doesn't mean it's a better value.

Yes, Firestone makes an RFT but, unlike Goodyear's and Michelin's run-flats, the Firestone has to be scrapped after any run low or run flat incident. Thus, it's a poor value because, the first time you use the run flat feature of the tire, you throw the tire away and buy a new one. It's safe to say that during the life of a set of tires, the risk that you'll have one flat is high, thus, when you buy Firestone's run-flats, factor in eventually buying a fifth tire. Once you do that, they're not as great a deal as four of the run-flats which can be fixed after a run flat incident.

The Goodyear and the Michelin, after certain types of run-flat use, can be repaired and returned to service.

The CAC has a feature article about the C5 RFT issue. Not all of it applies to the C6, but most of it does.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/questions/465/Technical+Article:+Run+Flat+Facts

I have Michelin Pilot Sport ZP's on the front with a still very serviceable pair of EMT's on the rear. I am very happy with the Michelin tire, handles better than the EMT's that were replaced.

Dale

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom