Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need Tire Opinions

Barrier

Corvette
1993 Convertible 1999 FRC Pewter sold
I am about to purchase new tires for my '99 FRC currently with original runflats. I was leaning toward the Kumho Ecsta SPTs, non runflats.
There has been discussion about the EMTs providing better mileage 3-4 mpg and better handling due to stiffer sidewalls in a Corvette Magazine.
I believe that the choice of Runflats on the C5 were based on lack of space for a spare and the room to put the Flat full size when it's changed, problems with spacesavers and limited slip differential, convienience and sexiness.
I have no problems with the usual arguments of Runflats vs Nonrunflats. I simply want to know if anybody has documentation (actual experience) with mileage and handling differences.
thanks in advance
Barrier

I just installed Bridgestone Pole Positions (non run-flat) on my 98. WOW!! It's been raining here last couple days but I haven't slipped once on take off or turning. My GYs always caused me to act very cautiously in the rain. Also, when dry the new tires don't break traction when I floor it from 20 where the GYs broke loose and kicked in the traction control - these tires just bite the pavement and take off.

Oh yeah, and the ride is much quieter and smoother:upthumbs.

I'm getting rid of the run flats in favor of the Goodyear D3's for my 99 FRC.

:w
Guy

I am about to purchase new tires for my '99 FRC currently with original runflats. I was leaning toward the Kumho Ecsta SPTs, non runflats.
There has been discussion about the EMTs providing better mileage 3-4 mpg and better handling due to stiffer sidewalls in a Corvette Magazine.
I believe that the choice of Runflats on the C5 were based on lack of space for a spare and the room to put the Flat full size when it's changed, problems with spacesavers and limited slip differential, convienience and sexiness.
I have no problems with the usual arguments of Runflats vs Nonrunflats. I simply want to know if anybody has documentation (actual experience) with mileage and handling differences.
thanks in advance
Barrier

Barrier - the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2's
pictured below are (pardon the pun) getting some
traction with the C5 guys. Very few long term reviews
about them at this point but you can read buyer
reactions on the Tire Rack website. These will be my
next purchase.

Remo:cool
bfg_gforce_ta_kdw2_ci2_l.jpg

I went with the Goodyear D3's this summer. I didn't see any change in mpg and the car still handles great, just like it should.

I put Kumho Ecsta AXS All Season on mine Last Dec.28 18,000+ miles on them Wearing Beautifully!!! I'll easily get 40,000+ out of them!! They are Quiet,Smooth,Great Dry Traction,Great Wet Traction,Great Snow Traction, Car Hangs these Mountain Roads Like a Go Kart,and my car don't Hydro-Plain Now!!! The Goodyears were Noisey and Ruff as a Corn Cob!! The Kuhmo's are better in the Curves than the Goodyears ever were!! If any thing my gas mileage got a little better!!:upthumbs

junk!!

I have Avons on mine, great all weather tires got them from tire rack.

Pirelli P ZERO-NERO

Quiet, very quiet, handle great, rated for mud and snow, high tread wear #, look expensive, (but aren't that bad), and the last time I had a real flat was 21 years ago after a hurricaine. Just in case, I travel with a little compressor, a plug kit and a light.

You should check out the "Big" mailorder/internet tire website where they compare performance for all the tires for our cars, and I mean compare!

Of all the things I've done to my car, this was the single biggest improvement. Those old runflats were so howling noisy, and stiff feeling.
NO change in fuel economy detected, but I'd guess slighlty better because of less rolling resistance with the new tires. If they are good enough for Ferrari they probably are good enough for the Vette.

Enjoy!

Actually, the mileage claim might be correct. The stiffer sidewalls DO NOT contribute to better handling. When a sidewall has room to compress the vehicle will handle better. A stiff sidewall will cause the tire to lose traction sooner.

I run the GY F1 GS D3s. They are a great tire and handle unbelieveably in the rain!

SAVE THE :w

Well the Bridgestone Pole Positions just got the ultimate endorsement, my wife's! She hated driving the vette because of the harshness and excessive road noise from the run-flats. She drove it yesterday and lets just say I think I've created a monster.:eek

Goodyear Runflats

I think that the concensus is that everybody likes the NEW tires they put on to replace their Noisy Runflats! Go Pirelli!

I replaced my factory Good-Year EMT's with Kumho ECSTA MX's (run flats) after 20,000 miles. The Kumho tires perform and ride equally as well as the Good-Year tires at less the cost. The Kumho tires do seem a bit more noisy. I prefer EMT's because I like to find out of the way open roads where readily available service is more than a few hours away. At times, more than a day away. Using your imagination a bit, you can afford one flat tire using a spare tire. However, you can afford all four flat tires using EMTs. Highly unlikely? You bet. But, I have personally experienced two flat tires on the same outing. A spare tire would have done little to get me back to a service center. If you always drive around metro areas you're relatively safe. A service center is close by.

It's all about where and how you drive coupled with the tire your comfortable driving on.

BTW, for those of you who have the Good-Year EMT's, you can actually go 200 miles on a flat tire.

I went with the Goodyear D3's this summer. I didn't see any change in mpg and the car still handles great, just like it should.

I've had the Goodyear F1 GS-D3s (non-runflat) on for close to three years now. Transformed the ride from boy racer to gentlemanly GT without any loss of performance. Carry a repair kit with patches, compressor, etc.

I'm sticking with the stock GY run-flats. GM is smarter than me !!!!;)

That may be true - but have you checked their stock lately?:L

That may be true - but have you checked their stock lately?:L

Actually I did/do check the their stock but not so often since I sold most of it off......I can't wait until Nissan or some other asian Corp takes over GM......"Corvette By Nissan". Then maybe it won't look like a European sports car:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom