Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need to break into my own car!

chevyaddict

Corvette
1990 Convertible
I can't believe I couldn't find a thread on this but I locked the keys in my 81 and need to try to slim jim my own car. I know its relatively easy to do this I just need to know how. I live way outside the city so its gonna cost me and arm and a leg to have someone come do it. I've done this before and these people you call do it in like 10 seconds. Does anyone know how to make a slim jim to do this? I bought a 1 inch piece of flat metal, I just need to know how to shape it and which way to hook it to get the door open. Help!

There are a number of instructional videos on YouTube although I didn't see any specific to Corvettes. I've popped a few doors open over the years and the older cars are much easier than the newer ones. If you get frustrated of fishing with a wire hanger, call a tow truck company. They usually carry a variety of lockout tools and have the experience to make 'em work. Good luck!!

-Mac

ps:
www.wilcosupply.com/catalog/prolok_NEWEST.pdf

My locks were out of adjustment right after my car was painted. The FD, I was at a restaurant nest to the station and had come overbto look at the freshly painted car, ran a rod over the top of the window and popped the T-Top latch on the other side. They were in the car in less than 30 seconds.

If the tops are not adjusted really tight or have locks, sometimes you can lean on the top and thump it with your fist and the locks will drop. I've gotten into many a Corvette that way- use CAUTION with glass tops- a little too much and they break.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom