Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need to open the airbox

92conv

I am sitting here with a dremel in one hand and the airbox in another wondering if there is a better way. What have you guys used when you opened them up? I just want to keep it clean and no one else would do as good of a job.

I am sitting here with a dremel in one hand and the airbox in another wondering if there is a better way. What have you guys used when you opened them up? I just want to keep it clean and no one else would do as good of a job.

This may sound stupid but.... What is an airbox?

This may sound stupid but.... What is an airbox?

the airbox is the piece that your stock air filter goes in. It sits on top of the radiator connected to the throttle body?

Just use the dremel tool to cut it and take your time. Draw a line around the area where you will cut.

Thanks TNT. I guess that's what I figured, just hoping it will come out allright. :eek:hnoes

Why do you want to open it up? Any airflow gain is minimal, plus you increase the possibility of water exposure.

Thanks TNT. I guess that's what I figured, just hoping it will come out allright. :eek:hnoes

No problem, it will come out fine. I cut my air filter lid many years ago. It will be easier to cut if you have a rotating cutting wheel tool (forget exact name) form home depot, but the dremel will do fine. I too used a dremel when I cut my air filter lid.

Why do you want to open it up? Any airflow gain is minimal, plus you increase the possibility of water exposure.

The air filter lid is cut from the top, no chance of water getting in there. The airflow increase is considered a "free mod" and when combined with other changes will add a "noticeable" performance gain.

My 88 had a different exhaust tone after I cut the air box and added airfoil. My poopometer tells me it runs better, but it ran good before, just my 2 cents.....

Just finished modding the airbox. Came out great and made for a good ol' Saturday taking my time with it. You definitely hear the engine breathing now and seems to idle better too.

airbox

If you hav'nt done already,skuff up the paint and match with your body color, also add a K&N filter . I noticed a difference immediatley.:bu

Jamm'in Jeff :w

I'd recommend checking out the many documented tests and reports on the "filtrationally challenged" K&N before considering it's use for an everyday driver. With $8K in my engine, I'll not risk it with a K&N or similar design air filter.

I have been running K&N with a cut lid (now have tpis cold air intake) since '94....never a problem.

I'll second that Notorious....While a K&N does indeed increase airflow, it leaves something to be desired in trapping dirt effectively. As it gets washed and re-oiled over time, it's ability to trap dirt decreases. A single tablespoon of dirt can destroy an engine.

You shouldn't have a problem with the K&N filter. Keep it maintained and it will work to perfection. Buy 2--pricey, but in the long run, it'll also save you $$$ compared to buying/replacing the stock filter. This way, the cleaned one can dry out thoroughly and be ready when its time to clean the one in use. The two I use in my '93 are trouble free, cost effective and a cheapo mod before I tackled the bigger hp gains like the throttle body, exhaust, thermostat and chip. Once I get a few ticky probs outta the way, it'll be supercharger time. :w

Just finished modding the airbox. Came out great and made for a good ol' Saturday taking my time with it. You definitely hear the engine breathing now and seems to idle better too.

Do you or anyone else have any Pictures as to what to cut etc.?

Cajun

Is the '92 the same as the L98 lids?

I'll second that Notorious....While a K&N does indeed increase airflow, it leaves something to be desired in trapping dirt effectively. As it gets washed and re-oiled over time, it's ability to trap dirt decreases. A single tablespoon of dirt can destroy an engine.

I also chose not to go with the K&N. Everyone has their opinion. Does not the airbox have a forced flow from the front of the engine or am I missing something. Will not cutting the airbox change this??? Just asking ;shrug

I also chose not to go with the K&N. Everyone has their opinion. Does not the airbox have a forced flow from the front of the engine or am I missing something. Will not cutting the airbox change this??? Just asking ;shrug

My 96 LT4 draws air in from the back of the Lid.Has to be Hotter than coming in through the hood seam area.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom