Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Need your opinion!

Toms007

Corvette
2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
OK I need your opinions.....here's my dilemma...

I priced new tires for 007 yesterday. Michelin AS4 ZP and non RF Continental DWS06.....still torn between RF and non RF.....leaning toward the non. Still have lots of tread on the Firestones, but they are 11 years old. No weather-checking and look like new yet. One of the folks at the tire shop said they would go ahead and run them, but I'm leery about the age. I would hate to be on a trip and have one blow...at that point, I'm forced to buy whatever is available, possibly very limited choices. I guess that can happen with new tires too. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Keep driving the Firestones? Ditch the Firestones and go RFs? Ditch the Firestones and go non-RFs? Only about $250 difference between the RFs and non-RFs.

Remember guys, I live out in VERY RURAL SW Kansas, not near big cities where tires are readily available.

Opinion? Everybody's got one (or more).
First, ditch the Firestones - they're too old, even if they look great.
If you take road trips regularly, buy the A/S4 ZP and live in peace.

Thank you Tuna for your insight.

I ended up ordering a set of Michelin AS 3+ ZP tires. Mrs. was pushing for the RFs so that decision came into play as well. $1245 delivered to the house...then another $100 to have them mounted and balanced....

OK I need your opinions.....here's my dilemma...

I priced new tires for 007 yesterday. Michelin AS4 ZP and non RF Continental DWS06.....still torn between RF and non RF.....leaning toward the non. Still have lots of tread on the Firestones, but they are 11 years old. No weather-checking and look like new yet. One of the folks at the tire shop said they would go ahead and run them, but I'm leery about the age. I would hate to be on a trip and have one blow...at that point, I'm forced to buy whatever is available, possibly very limited choices. I guess that can happen with new tires too. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Keep driving the Firestones? Ditch the Firestones and go RFs? Ditch the Firestones and go non-RFs? Only about $250 difference between the RFs and non-RFs.

Remember guys, I live out in VERY RURAL SW Kansas, not near big cities where tires are readily available.
I may not know much about the cars condition or the roads and terrain etc. But I would get new ones rather than 11 year old ones. If you do get the 11 year old ones I would still get a spare set of tires, Maybe not a brand new spare tire set but something that will keep it sustainable on the road. If the fire stones are good currently I would ride them out more as much as I can. Like I said idk much.

the tires I had on were 11 years old...I actually bought new Michelin AS 3+ ZP (ZP= zero pressure - run flat).

I ended up ordering a set of Michelin AS 3+ ZP tires. Mrs. was pushing for the RFs so that decision came into play as well. $1245 delivered to the house...then another $100 to have them mounted and balanced....
Hi Toms007,
Thanks for asking my question. :) I'm at the same place with my 2012, original tires, 14,500 miles and like new, but timed out. I'll definitely do the RFs, yet wonder why the Michelins, and where did you buy? I'm just starting to look.
Thanks,
Paul,
2012 Torch Red Base Coupe

Paul, several factors played into my decision.
1. I went with the Michelins for a couple reasons
a. I had the earlier versions of this tire on my C5 and liked them.
b. I wanted an "all Season" tire, and these Michelins were highly rated. Many of the RFs for Corvette
available are summer performance tires. I had Firestone RFs on, but driving them up to the mountains in
the fall got a bit sketchy a few times
2. My local tire place said they couldn't get the rear tires I wanted, so, I ordered them from TireRack (they
were delivered in 3 days) and then had my local place mount and balance them for me.

I will say, that these new tires ride way better, are more quiet and make me feel more confident than the old Firestones. If you have an other questions, just let me know.

Paul, several factors played into my decision.
1. I went with the Michelins for a couple reasons
a. I had the earlier versions of this tire on my C5 and liked them.
b. I wanted an "all Season" tire, and these Michelins were highly rated. Many of the RFs for Corvette
available are summer performance tires. I had Firestone RFs on, but driving them up to the mountains in
the fall got a bit sketchy a few times
2. My local tire place said they couldn't get the rear tires I wanted, so, I ordered them from TireRack (they
were delivered in 3 days) and then had my local place mount and balance them for me.

I will say, that these new tires ride way better, are more quiet and make me feel more confident than the old Firestones. If you have an other questions, just let me know.
Good reasoning. I looked on Tire Rack but couldn't find the correct sizes for my car. It is a 1LT Coupe with the Competition Gray wheels. The tire sizes are front 245/40R18 and rear 285/35R19. Does your car have different size tires or am I missing something? I really like the idea of All Seasons.
Thanks for you help.

Those are the sizes my 007 takes. I looked and they don't show up either. I'd give them a call and find out when they are expecting them to be in stock.

Thanks Tom0007,
I forget to check Discount, I'm keyed to Tire Rack. Discount shows them as "Special Order" 7 day delivery. I'm going to call Tire Rack and see what they say. I was going to wait until next spring but may move that up.
I love this car,
Paul

If Paul lets me drive it again he may need tires before spring.

Tom

Tom got it loose for a brief time and wasted some of my tires. Even with that, I think I can make it to winter. :)

Hi Tom

Ordered my Michelin A/S 4s RFs last June for the 2008 convertible and am still waiting. All three of my Corvettes are in storage for the winter and I expect to get the 14 coupe out next April to go to the Michelin Bash at the NCM. Maybe the 08 tires will come in before that - ha! Fortunately I have three vettes including the03 Z06; both the 03 (Goodyear) and 14 (Michelin A/S RF) have newer tires, less than 3 years old, and good tread. That said, I am concerned that when the 03 tires are replaced, there will be very few choices. I took the 03 to Ambassadors Meeting/Vets 'N' Vettes at the NCM this year and it turned very cold on track day - had to skip it as Goodyears are summer only. The 08 and 14 were already in storage. Am hoping to get all season for the 03 Z06 when I replace them - any suggestions? I put Bridgestones on my 02 Z06, but they were summer only - good tires in the correct size, but couldn't drive on them once the temp reached 40 degees and below, a common temp here in the Colorado mountains in the late fall.

BTW, I assume when you replaced your tires, you had an alignment done.

Barrett

Hey Barrett. :w Long time since I've heard from you. Sounds like you are doing well.

Yes, I did have an alignment done when I put the new tires on. Hard to believe those tires are backordered for that long.

Tom
There are 5 of us that have the tires on back order. Rex Tire in Colorado Springs is a Michelin dealer and he has trouble getting them. Rex does a lot of Corvette tires and has the best alignment tech in the business, Ed Gibson. He is generally booked out for a month or so - he is that good, as is the rest of the staff at Rex. Even some of the members of my other 3 Corvette Clubs in Denver go down to him at my recommendation and they are amazed at the service and care they get.

Hope Rosie and you had a great Thanksgiving. Have you left your teaching duties yet and are fully retired?

Save the wave.
Barrett

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom