Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

never liked the C4 all that much, so what happened to me?

I too love the L98, it really was built for me... I hate to rev an engine and the L98 lives in the low rpms. I love the stars wars dash of the early C4s, and the saw blade rims of the later years. The convertable C4s are the some of best looking cars in the world. I like my C4s, although I am thinking about a C6 coupe for traveling..

corvetteDan said:
Personally I think the used C4 are perhaps the best fun per dollar spent that can be had today. They are fast enough, handle like a race car if a little care is taken in the set up, and from what I can tell can take some harsh driving, gear jamming, and high revs with the best of them.

:beer :w

hAZcAT said:
I too love the L98, it really was built for me... I hate to rev an engine and the L98 lives in the low rpms. I love the stars wars dash of the early C4s, and the saw blade rims of the later years. The convertable C4s are the some of best looking cars in the world. I like my C4s, although I am thinking about a C6 coupe for traveling..

:upthumbs I love the low end torque of the L98 just as I love it on my Yamaharley; there’s nothing like feeling of being pulling hard from a corner, low in the revs, with the rumble of the exhaust building.

I do have to admit that I like the looks of the C6 better than the C5, but I would never trade my C4 in for one; I'll have to get a bigger garage. :D

A lot of autocrossers switched back to the earlier C4s when they tried the new C5 on the track. :v

That great C4.

The newer cars are very, very good. But I too love the C4. When I was shopping for my car in 2003, I found a guy that was selling a C4 and a C5, so I had the chance to compare these cars side by side. Let me tell you, I got in the C5 first and it just did not give me the feel of an outright sports car. But when I got in the C4, in spite of it's high sills, I imediatly felt as if I entered a full fledged racer. Even looking at the cars side by side, I felt the styling of the cars were equal. Every time I enter my C4, it's a great feeling. I did not mind giving up a few ponies to the C5 because of the feel that the car imparts. :upthumbs

ZRXMAX said:
As many have said over the years "Jerry Palmer" ( the designer ) got it right... The C4 started with a clean sheet... and cleaned up a little more over the years... I am on my 5th & 6th C4s... Started with a 84 4+3... 88 35th... 2 - 1990 ZR-1s... currently a 1991 ZR-1 and a 89 6 speed coupe... don't really see a good reason to step up to a C5 or C6... unless large funds fall into my lap... Those newer vettes are good cars... but I am stuck on the 4th generation for now... BTW.... IMHO... A nice C4 I would love to have would be a 35th Anniversay TT Callaway... white 5 spokes with tinted windows... I hear they only made 2 of em... that is / was not enough... Maybe it is time for a clone ?

I really like my C4's - all three of them and would never sell for a "newer one" :eyerole

I like the features they have and think in many respects, they have a timeless look to them :cool

Maybe a Callaway TT 1988 35th could be in your future :confused they did make 7 of them, helping your odds considerably :v :beer

That C4 you bought?... It give ya FEV-VAH!!!! Plain and simple! :w

Rookie C4 owner

Hi All, being late to the table as usual for me I have to agree about the C4's looks when it first came out. Luke warm in my book as a 72 LT-1 A/C t-top owner. I still say my 72 had "vette" lines but if you think about it the designers of vettes had the looks so far out ahead it took awhile for everyone to catch on to the design. I agree about being able to work on your "baby", ya know rub some here & there and massage it & hone it to a fine point. That's fun! I'm a little intimidated by my C4, a 90 ZR-1. So I must get to know the car's systems over time.

One thing I will say as a former LT-1 owner. The ZR-1 will kick my LT-1's butt every day of the week and twice on Sunday. My LT-1 was a used & raced car when I bought it so it needed alot. It wasn't NCRS material back in 77 when I got it & I was too dumb to know anything about that stuff. So over two winters I fixed what was wrong. I rebuilt a 71 LT-1 motor I bought out of a wreck, used 70 LT-1 heads on it with a cam closer to 70 specs than 72 specs, re-built the M-22, re-built the rear 3.55's stock, re-built the F-41 suspension and replaced the factory side pipes that were on the car & used the early 70 LT-1 oil pan & modified it to clear the steering gear. Even kept the A/C & it worked. I thought I had a fairly nice vette. I put some Pirelli CN-36's on it & it did okay on the twisties. The car was rude & crude(which was okay cause I was young ) but when I got my C4 this past December I found out the difference between a rude car & a sophisticated sports car. The difference is astounding to me already & I had my LT-1 for 9 years so I learned it fairly well. I have never driven a C5 or a C6, & never driven a C1 or C2 so I can only compare my LT-1 to my ZR-1. There is no contest from an engineering point of view, and I don't even know how to drive my Z yet! The people who own C4's drive the best value in vettes in the aspect of technology per dollar invested. I know that is a biased & subjective opinion but the newer generations cost so much more and the limits are so high one might never see them, I'm guessing. I know I don't think I'll ever have the nerve or skill required to test my Z's limits Heck the car is laughing at me I think! Just my humble observations, Tom.

C4

My first Vette is a 91 convert. It was in the right price range and I have grown to love the car. More fun to drive and so far no problems with anything except the Bose Radio. I love to just get in and drive to nowhere in particular. I use it as an everyday driver, except with snow on the ground and love it. My other car is a 1951 supercharged MGTD. big difference in the two I can safely say.

Nope, when the C4s came out they lost me. The lines I said were too boring. No sexy curves, no class, just too simple. I had a few older vettes in my time, 1958 (x2) and a 1965 roadster. (in the 70’s and 90’s). In my books the true vette was in and around the years of 1957 - 1968. The 70’s never looked right to me either. Later the C5s looked better, and for the record I am one that likes the C5 more than the C6. I had a number of cars along the way, even some AC Cobra remakes (Superformance , Shelby) etc. Loved em, but something was missing… them being a true 100% old car and not a remake… sold em. Bought and played with a few 60’s muscle cars, Camaro, GTO, etc. The sold them too. ( profits on all).

Then a few years ago when searching for another car to play with a friend of mine found a 1988 C4 roadster. It was nothing special, but had a neat 4 +3 stick. And to boot it was a one owner with 26,000 miles. I bought it for less than I thought possible and started replacing this and that. The engine while had few miles on it had been sitting. We replaced the fuel filters, changed out all the service fluid ( engine oit, trans ( and filter) rear end, cooling, breaks etc. Popped the fuel injectors out and made sure they were not gummed up. Placed a KN filter on the car, and installed a new exhaust system. Along the way I bought some new tires, rims (always liked the Z06 look). Replaced the weather stripping, and replaced the aging vinyl top with a new black cloth top. The radio was a mess and I replaced it with a nice AM FM CD combination. Planned soon is a new clutch, aluminum flywheel, a chip, and a ram air from Mid America.

Somehow along the way the car started to grow on me. I noticed one day that the lines of the car were not all that bad, and in fact were rather sexy with the top down. The darn thing runs like hell ( I don’t know why but I can often pull ahead of a C5 to the wonder of my buddies that own them). ( perhaps this is due to the 4+3 and keeping it in low range in town from stop light to stop light. ) The car as thus far been extremely reliable. I’ve taken long trips in it, joined a local vette club, taken her on the local road racing course. Taken short day trips now and then down local winding roads for "therapy". Oh, some day I’ll sell it. But for the time being you would have a hell of a time prying the car from my grasp.

So, what is it then about a C4? Could it be the simple lines, the reliable, steadfast the way the car can be a daily driver and at the same time a graceful track beast! I’ve come to love the car. True, I may buy a used C5 in the future, ( the C6 will take years to grow on me), I’ve toyed with buying a used Viper, but for the time being I simply don’t need a newer C5, C6, or a Viper. While I can afford them I simply see no need to buy one as I have the same level of fun fixing an older car and seeing just how nice I can make it. In fact it’s rather nice to invest time and money on an older car and make it as good or in some cases even better than new.

I think perhaps in many ways the C4 was ahead of its time. Perhaps it is just now coming into its own…. As I drive the car here and there I often get looks and a nod from what I suppose are car crazies, or perhaps people that just like to see a middle aged man in a convertible with top down on a sunny day and a smile on his face. Personally I think the used C4 are perhaps the best fun per dollar spent that can be had today. They are fast enough, handle like a race car if a little care is taken in the set up, and from what I can tell can take some harsh driving, gear jamming, and high revs with the best of them.

Hats off to you guys that caught the C4 bug sooner than I did. But as you can see, I am a late bloomer where vettes are concerned……….

Very eloquent.

You got the C4 bug?

To me the C3s got that nice muscular look, and it wasn't until the C4 did they start having that modern exotic look to them. I prefer the 91-98 body styles because to me it's more rounded and clean looking. But all in all I like all C4s. So I agree, it all boils down to a matter of taste. Plus C4s are highly affordable and highly reliable, so it's tough not to like them. Yah, I own a 91 L98 torque monster, and love surprising people off the line from a stop light...those moments are priceless and often brings tears to my eye :wtcslap . Rock on bud :Steer

I also loved the C-2's, didnt like the C-3's much and as you did, thought the
C-4 was too plain.....It has all changed for me also, I think my 86 is great, I enjoy going out and spending quality time working on it, and think it is a great handling sports car. I also like the C-5's but it doesnt look as "user friendly' to work on like the C-4
Tom

The C4 is a real neat vette!

From the 88 model year until 91 it was a keeper and from 92-96 in my eyes was a super car. That was until the C5 came out! When l sold my 96 l was going to get a C6 but l just hated the nose. So l went back to the C5 and now l'm thrilled.

And even better putting aside that the C4 is the best bang for the buck today the C5 is holding it's value better then the C6 so that say's something. Under the hood the C6 rules but skin deep is another thing.

Alan:beer

C4

I also did not like the C4 when it came out. Looked to much like a firebird.
I had a 77 C3 which I bought new and loved the lines of the C3.
Well a few years ago I traded a Harley for a 90 C4 and cash and well
I now really like the C4.
Car grows on you, so know I have the two vettes (77 and 90).
Next purchase will be a C5 (have to buy another lift).
:)

I've owned an 81 and an 82. Loved the way they looked but, at 6'3", I just couldn't get comfortable driving it. Never liked the c4, untill I bought my 86. Lots of room inside, fast as hell, sport seats are a blast and the original Bose radio kicks! I still like the way c3's look, but it's all c-4 for this boy!!!!

THis is my 3rd C4, all red. I love em'. Although Id love to have a black C5 or a black C6, what they heck, another C4 thats black would work to. Red in the sun is hard to beat though, this one has grey interior and sometimes I think it gives it a pink cast.... if I could get that thought out of my head and just keep my sunglasses on I could live with it.

Red in the sun is hard to beat though, this one has grey interior and sometimes I think it gives it a pink cast.... if I could get that thought out of my head and just keep my sunglasses on I could live with it.

;LOL :rotfl :boogie ;LOL :rotfl

That cracked me up!
B17Crew
:w

Yeah it really cracks me up to, things you never notice till you get home :eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom