Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New and strange sound...???

LTVetteVert00

Corvette
2000 Navy Blue Convertible
I drove the Vert to work on Monday (bah humbug!). When I backed out of my parking slot to go home, I had to cut steering wheel all the way to the stops (cut wheels to the left). While rolling backwards, I heard a strange new scrubbing noise? I do not think it was the tires (Front=PZero 275/35/19). It sounded metallic? Once wheel was returned to center, no more noise. Also, I have not noticed this noise when steering is hard over to the left and going forward??:confused:confused

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated. :eek:hnoes I drive a Y2K A4 Vert with 80K on clock.

LT

Could be your brake pad indicators.

You are running a fairly wide tire on the front. I have two questions:
1. Is your car lowered?
2. Was the ground level or the car leaning to one side?

If any of these existed, with the tires you are running, you could have only been rubbing the tire against the fender. There could be a number of reasons why they have not rubbed before, an alignment could make enough difference at the extreme tire position to cause the it to catch the fender. Brake wear indicators usually start sounding when the brakes are applied. That is in the very first stages of warning. Regards, Zig.

You are running a fairly wide tire on the front. I have two questions:
1. Is your car lowered?
2. Was the ground level or the car leaning to one side?

If any of these existed, with the tires you are running, you could have only been rubbing the tire against the fender. There could be a number of reasons why they have not rubbed before, an alignment could make enough difference at the extreme tire position to cause the it to catch the fender. Brake wear indicators usually start sounding when the brakes are applied. That is in the very first stages of warning. Regards, Zig.

Running PZero 275/30/19 up front. Car is lowered on stock bolts, but not all the way. Parking area was flat. I recently put new tires on rear...305/30/19??:confused

I do not think it was the brakes since at the time of the noise, I was backing up and not applying the brakes unless it was very softly. ;help

Any signs of scratches on the inside of the wheels or wheel well?

In order to put the car in gear you have to depress the brake. I believe you herd the wear indicator as mention previously.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom