Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New: C4 crazy traffic concern

• Thread starter Thread starter ediconu
  • Start date Start date
E

ediconu

new: crazy traffic concern

Hey guys, I've been reading around this site for a while, since I've started my search for a nice C4. I've found the site extremely helpful in almost every area. I've found a few 1995 LT1s in my area, yet the better of the 2 has the stock thermostat and the SLIGHTLY worse one has a 180 degree therm. (By better, I mean less miles and a new clutch)

THIS IS THE CONCERN:

I've read countless threads on this and I don't want to start another, "that's useless," sort of baseless argument. I know that excess heat will wear an engine and make it die earlier. I know that since I drive into washington DC every day, my car's going to be sitting in traffic completely stopped for extended periods of time. I know I don't want it to live at 240 degrees.

Based on this, how do I go about getting a cooler therm and computer chip to match and other things like making the fans come on at 180 instead. I'm not looking to go all out and get a new radiator (yet), I'd just like to alleviate the symptom because on the ride, the time that I drive under 35 MPH isn't more than a couple of minutes at a time.

If anyone feels strongly that I should not change these things, I don't mind if you voice yourself, but please leave a whole ton of references in your wake so that I can follow links to credible sources that back you up. That way I can filter through the... how do you say.... BS.

=====

On a side note, I'd like to be able to plug my laptop into my car's computer and look at all the random stats that the ECM records so I'd like to know exactly what TYPE of thing I need for that. I've looked around and it appears that most of the "Chip reprogrammer" things are like calculators that you hit numbers and it changes things, I want a little more than that.

I didn't mean to sound like a.... sorry 'bout that.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

Welcome ediconu!

Welcome to Corvette Action Center.
I imagine someone will be along shortly that can answer your questions. If not, you could shoot a message to Administrator 69MyWay, who had a C4 and a computer that he could hook up to it while driving for monitoring information...he may have some info for you.
Heidi :w

I'm not in a big hurry, I have no problem letting it simmer for a while :)

I'm glad I know someone had what I want to do, that makes it so easy! :D

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.....I have a 195 in mine and when it kicks in, it will drop to 182........Enjoy

im not sure exactly the question that you are asking... but if you are in this type of traffic everyday i would say get a 160 degree thermostat, program for fans to turn on earlier, new water pump, and a BE Cool radiator (when your ready for it) with that setup you should be running pretty cool...

Here's the software I got for my laptop. I have the OBDI & II '82-03. You might just want the OBDI for your car. Comes with cable and the correct adaptor. Hope this helps..:Steer

http://www.obd2.com/

Hi and welcome-

I have a 95 LT1 A4, and posted many things about how to beat the heat.

I changed the therm to a 160, did the throttle body coolent bypass, installed a fan overide switch for both fans.

I stick a hose between the radiator and condensor after long trips to was out the bugs. My car will run a max of 195 now in extended traffic. On the highway it will go down to 170, on a 90 degree day.

I put on over 8K miles since these slight mods and have experianced no negative effects. Runs a 13.4 et and gets of 25 mpg on the highway.

You dont have to change the chip, and it all cost about 25 bucks.

magmotor: Thanks for the link to the software.

I can see where my question got lost in the noise on that first post. I understand what I want to do, I just don't quite understand where to go to find peices that I can install, and what to do about peices that I don't have the tools/time to put in myself.

I'd rather not go to a random mechanic and ask him to put in a lower thermostat. I'm not EXACTLY sure where that even is on the car, I just know that it restricts the flow of coolant when the engine is cold and then opens up (some of the way) when the engine warms up. What should I expect to pay for that kind of modification if I don't do it myself?

How easy is it to change the fan cut-on temp without using a manual switch?

ediconu, If you are in the DC area, we are fortunate to have one of the best corvette shops in the country. Here is a link to there web site
http://www.tonyscorvetteshop.com/

For $250.00 Tony will evaluate your potential purchase. It is an amazing experience. I have experienced 3 evaluations. One a c2 my dad purchased, another my brother's 68 roadster. We took the 68 in prior to restorattion. Another 67 we passed on. My 87 has been a loyal customer of Tony's for 3 years.
A truly remarkable, passionate shop located in the Montgomery County MD Airpark.

I might also suggest the aftermarket catalogs. You could get a catalog from Ecklers (ecklers.com) or Mid America (madvet.com), Corvette Central, and others. You can order products that you describe from them.

I can see where my question got lost in the noise on that first post. I understand what I want to do, I just don't quite understand where to go to find peices that I can install, and what to do about peices that I don't have the tools/time to put in myself.

Cooler therms are availiable at almost any Corvette catalog place.
TPS sells a 180 for $18

Changing the prom might be easier than changing the therm and adding a manaul switch, but at 10 times the cost.

The therm is very easy to change on the later model C4s. An investment in a manual would be a great idea if you dont even know where the therm is. You may be pleaseantly surprised how easy it is to work on your car.

Are the Chilton's manuals still the best?

I look forward to the pleasant surprise of how easy it'll be to work on my car. (I also believe that statement is fundamentally flawed. :D )

I was looking at the ODBI thing and it just reads data out of the chip, is there anything that'll let me put data back into it? changing the fuel mixture and what not?

I use the factory manual for the year of my car, its in 2 parts and has a red cover. There is a “condensed” version with the white cover, but it leaves a lot out and says to refer to the 94 manual for many things.

“Pleasantly surprised” may be semantically incorrect but I am sure you get the intended meaning. I used that term based on your statement concerning not knowing where the thermostat is.

Some OBD1 computers are sealed and do not allow access to the PROM. The are some devices that allow you to write a blank E-PROM with known “performance” curves, however I am not familiar with them. I also have never heard about much success on a totally stock engine.

If I only change the therm, do the fans not kick on 'til 200+ degrees?

I heard somewhere it was (close to) 220, but that seems crazy.

Thanks for all the info so far guys!

It's my understanding the fans don't kick on until the 220 point or there about, regardless of what therm is installed. I just bought a chip and a 160 therm on the net that's programmed to kick them on sooner.

Since it's going to be traffic driving, i'm going to need to get the chip for the fans.

The fan chip has nothing to do with the ECM reprogramming, right?

Is it best to have a chip that turns the fans on at the same temp as when the therm is wide open, or sooner?

If the air conditioner is on the fans are forced on. I can not imagine anybody driving in D.C. with the windows down so just turning the fans on at a lower temp is a bit useless.:confused

Pop in a lower temp thermo and turn the AC on, the coolant shove hover around the opening temp of the thermo. :cool

If you do not want to fool around with the chip all of the major auto-parts shops sell after-market fan switches that will turn the fans on and off at any temp you desire. These switches range from $10 - $50. If you go for one do not say the word CORVETTE, tell them it’s for your 1977 Blazer.:D

Forget any of the ¨off the shelf¨ performance chips. For the same money you can get a custom chip burnt for your car.:bash

The AC is a good idea.

I only go about 4 blocks in DC though, most of the horrible traffic is interstate jam-ups, and I'm a guy who likes fresh air.

I'm going to have to run the AC for an entire tank of gas to see how much it changes the mileage.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom