Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New C4 Owner W/ Tech Questions

CarolinaC4

Corvette
71 Silver BB Coupe; 79 Red L-82, 89 Blue convertib
Greetings all from sunny NC.
I've been into Corvettes since my first one in 74, a Silver 73 SB 4-speed convertible. I currently own a 79 L-82 and a 71 BB Coupe; now a 89 C4 Convertible also.
I do like the C4 alot. I am most interested in what the other members have to recomend to as what type of test equipment I will need to keep up this car. Scan tools, digital test meter, shop manuals, ect. I have most of the basic hand tools ,timing light, vacume guage, battery charger & most anything to work on a C3. Ever though this car is 21 years old it's all new technology to me. All comments appreciated.:)

Thanks,
"I'm just an analog guy stuck in a digital world"
Looking forward to tinkering on the 89, just need some guidance as to where to start.

welcome to CAC!!!!
enjoy!!!!!

Thanks,
"I'm just an analog guy stuck in a digital world"

I know what you mean. I listen to 33 1/3 records and the boy has some newfangled gadget called an I-Pod. How do they get so many songs on what has to be the worlds smallest record player?:upthumbs

I've been into Corvettes since my first one in 74, a Silver 73 SB 4-speed convertible. I currently own a 79 L-82 and a 71 BB Coupe; now a 89 C4 Convertible also.
I do like the C4 alot. I am most interested in what the other members have to recomend to as what type of test equipment I will need to keep up this car. Scan tools, digital test meter, shop manuals, ect. I have most of the basic hand tools ,timing light, vacume guage, battery charger & most anything to work on a C3. Ever though this car is 21 years old it's all new technology to me. All comments appreciated.:)

I would start by getting the factory service manual.

A lot of the work on the C4 can be done with basic electrical troubleshooting tools - assuming that you have a reasonable background with electrical things.

With respect to the mechanical components, I think you'll find them mostly very robust - but also straitforward. I had a '65 for ten years, and the mechanics of my '95 are similar enough that I know what's going on. The electrical part is much more complex, but also seems much more reliable.

Enjoy the '89!

Steven

(snip)
I am most interested in what the other members have to recomend to as what type of test equipment I will need to keep up this car. Scan tools, digital test meter, shop manuals, ect. I have most of the basic hand tools ,timing light, vacume guage, battery charger & most anything to work on a C3. Ever though this car is 21 years old it's all new technology to me. All comments appreciated.:)

Other than what you already own, you need a digital multimeter (DMM) whch has input impeadance of at least 10 meg ohm.

You need the Factory Service Manual.

You need a scan tester which supports 1989.

Enjoy your C4.:beer

Welcome to the :CAC CarolinaC4!!

Your thread is of a more technical nature than a simple introduction thread. Would you like me to move it to the C4 Tech Forum? Let me know.

:wJane Ann

Welcome to the CAC Forum, CarolinaC4. :w
Greetings to a fellow TarHeel.

Don't forget to check out the C4 section for answers to your questions.

welcome

not much onthe techside, but still want to say glad to have you in the cac...................................Billy:w:w:w:w:w:w:w

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. :w

I'm going to move your thread into the C4 Tech forum for greater exposure.

Welcome to Corvette Action Center.

Bill

I'm going to move your thread into the C4 Tech forum for greater exposure.
Ahh. That's why there are two so similar! :w

You might want to make sure you have a good selection of metric sockets and wrenches in addition to the standard ones you've been using on your C3s. Also a good assortment of Torx drivers. (You'll be surprised at how many of these you'll come across).

Factory service manual
Ohm meter for checking fuel injectors
DC volt meter for adjusting the TPS
Fuel pressure gauge that will screw on the schrader valve to check fuel pressure.

Tool for pushing belt tensioner down too remove serpentine belt.
A good set of torex bit sockets.

Jack a Vette for floor jack to raise rear of car to put on jack stands.

(snip)

Other than what you already own, you need a digital multimeter (DMM) whch has input impeadance of at least 10 meg ohm.

You need the Factory Service Manual.

You need a scan tester which supports 1989.

Enjoy your C4.:beer
Hib sums it up for ya.
I believe most of us old timers had the same fears as you when we moved into the "computer era" cars. I know I was scared when I made the move but with all the info on the internet you can't find a better source of knowledge. Once you start replacing and fixing you will see that it is still a motor with some more gadgets. Remember, remove the computer and all the sensors and you still have the same combustable engine that was made in the 60's muscle era.

Thanks Guys!
I've got to find me a FSM, is there a site where I can buy one?
I'll pick up the tools soon. I'm sure I'll have LOTS of questions.
Appreciate all the responses. Just got back from Knoxville, I didn't find a FSM there, most didn't know what I was talking about.

Thanks Guys!
I've got to find me a FSM, is there a site where I can buy one?
I'll pick up the tools soon. I'm sure I'll have LOTS of questions.
Appreciate all the responses. Just got back from Knoxville, I didn't find a FSM there, most didn't know what I was talking about.

The Factory Service Manual (FSM) is published by Helms, They are usually a two volume set and is model year specific. There are two versions; a white cover, which is a preliminary version, and the red cover.
Your best bet is to look on Ebay or the Parts for sale section of this and other Corvette forums. Expect to pay about $80 or more for a set.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=19..._odkw=corvette+service+manual&_osacat=0&bkBtn=

I just purchased an EZ Scan 3000 last week and already I'm wondering how I got along without it. They work on all OBD 1 and can be upgraded to OBD11. It gives real time data and is easy to use. I too am an old school guy in a techie world. Found it on Ebay and only cost $80, brand new in the box with all the cables. :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom