Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Clutch

malc350

Corvette
1996 LT-4 Z51 CE
Hi guys, I think my clutch is starting to slip. Any recommendations as to a make of clutch? Canterforce?

Is a stock clutch good enough for a B2K or do I need something a bit beefier (560 ft/lbs of torque to handle!!!)

Also I see a lot of mention about number of splines and clutch diameter. How would I know what mine is before dropping the gearbox?

I have a 1990 Twin Turbo with ZF 6 speed. Did Twin Turbos come with stock clutches originally or something better.

Thanks, folks

If you approach the search for a new clutch it's probably best to ask around like it's a standard ZF-6 car. I'm not sure if Callaway had a standard type of clutch in there or not with their conversion to the TT, but the aftermarket clutch potential is out there from almost every manufacturer (Hays, Centerforce, Spec). Any one of those manufacturers has a disc/pressure plate assembly available for the dual mass flywheel. I've had a fair amount of experience with Spec on a non-Callaway ZF-6 car and I can honestly say that I like it a lot. I've run both versions (dual mass & single mass) and they've both been fine. Spec has had some quality issues in the past, but trust me, their customer support is phenomenal. I had one issue with a clutch disc and it was taken care of in a matter of days, no questions asked... they covered shipping too.

If you're burning off the rear tires every 5-10k miles, I'd go aftermarket. The carbon kevlar materials that are used for the clutch disc padding withstand much more heat and abuse than a factory type of disc. Good luck with it and if you need any help with the install, send me a plane ticket!

I've had pretty good luck with the Center Force Dual Friction. It works with the stock dual mass flywheel and will hold better than stock. Callaway either used stock or this clutch, I'm not sure. It will be fine for a stock TT. Mine has about 15,000 miles on it and it does slip occassionally at full boost in fourth and fifth gear but my car is not stock.

If you want to go exotic there is the McLeod Steet Twin with dual disks or the Spec as Eric mentioned. The Spec Stage II with a Fidanza aluminum flywheel is a nice way to go. (They go all the way to Stage 4 but that's for 650+ rwhp. This is what Matt in Dallas is running in his car. I've asked but never gotten any feedback from him on how he likes it. But I've heard good things about it from others.)

If I recall, Matt hated his SPEC V clutch...he has serious fitment issues when installing. But he did say it held pretty good in 5th and 6th, with only occasional slippage. If you do a search on CF in the ZR1 section you can probably find the thread.

Callaway clutch

An update to my clutch story: I contacted Callaway who recommended a part number that coincidentally was the same number as Centerforce's clutch so I ordered the Centerforce which has just been delivered to me in the UK.

Next week I'm having it fitted by a trusted mechanic (I do all the work myself usually but I'm not risking dropping the transmission in my garage - leave it to the guy with the ramp!

In case anyone was wondering Callaway told me they found the stock clutch to be unable to cope with the extra power - understandable really.

I'll let you know what it goes like when it's fitted - I'm looking for a BIG improvement because I have a feeeling it's been playing up for a while...

Malc

I have the Centerforce Dual-Friction on my LT1 based Callaway. It's a great clutch and really grips. I do a fair amount of drag racing and there is no comparison between the Centerforce and the stock unit............. after a few runs on the stock clutch, it would slip and burn.... the Centerforce holds like a magnet!

Centerforce Part Number

Malc350,

Can you share the Centerforce clutch part number with the group? Was that unit hard to obtain in the UK? If you bought it in the UK, I suspect the normal cost conversion bit you -- just take the US price in dollars and convert it to pounds, for about a 50% price increase.

thanks,

Steve

Centerforce clutch

Mangusta it's part number

DF000100 - Centerforce dual friction

and was $619 from Ecklers. Look on the www.zr1.net site and do a search for Centerforce. You'll find a dealer that has it cheaper but they're in CA and the shipping would be a lot dearer for me than Florida wher Ecklers are situated. C4 folks tell me it's a real good clutch for high HP and torque. Also Callaway recommend the same part number (but don't say it's Centerforce)

P.S Callaway and Centerforce direct quote $780

Regards, Malc.

Re: Centerforce clutch

malc350 said:
C4 folks tell me it's a real good clutch for high HP and torque. Also Callaway recommend the same part number (but don't say it's Centerforce)

Really... You don't say! Did anyone else tell you it's a good clutch? ;)

Thanks!

Malc350/Others,

Thanks for the part number and pricing info on the Centerforce clutch and the experience statements that it holds up pretty well with the extra torque of the TT.

I have a Centerforce unit in my 1969 Mangusta (Ford 302), with good results there, too. The Centerforce unit had a significant reduction in clutch pedal effort, which that car definitely needed. At $750 for that clutch, I had always thought that I had been cheated a bit, but I feel a little better now...

Steve

Clutch recommendations

Thanks again 90 Callaway!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom