Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

David 69

Corvette
1969 Convertable
Thanks for letting me in. New member in South west Ohio. Look forward to being part of the group. Finally got a Vette after so many years of just dreaming of owning one some day. Have wanted one since I was 10 years old. I now have a pretty nice 69 convertible. Car has the 427 with manual tranny. Never driven anything so powerful before. Im trying to confirm if engine is original if anyone has any input I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Congratulations and welcome to the Corvette Action Center!

Welcome to CAC!!!!!
Enjoy!!!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard. :w Wow, nice car to start your Corvette experience with. I remember back in the day my older brothers' buddy had a 69 427/435. That was a freaking BEAST! I'd have to go back and do some research, but there should be stampings on the block that match the VIN. Passenger side, front right in front of the head (IIRC). Of course if the block has been decked, that number might have been machined off. Casting numbers with date and engine code would be the next step and this is where I'd have to go do some checking. Which 427 is it supposed to be?

L36 390hp suffix LL for the Atuomatic LM for the Manual
L68 400hp suffix LN for the Auto LO for the manual LQ
L71 435hp suffix LR, LT
L88 430hp
L89 435hp (basically and L71 with Aluminum heads) suffix LP, LU LW
ZL1 "Special 427" Aluminum block and heads.

I probably have some of these mixed up as my "Corvette Black book" isn't that clear. But these are Engine suffix that were with 427 engines in 69:

LL, LM, LN, LO, LP, LQ, LR, LT, LU, LV, LW, LX

Even if you have one of these suffix, the engine may not be original, as then the casting date code and build date of car need to coincide. I believe they say Casting dates need to be within a month or so of build date (Obviously earlier)

Whether you have the original engine or not, you have yourself a nice piece of property. Enjoy.:thumb

Welcome

Sounds like a fun Corvette.

Tom

Thanks

Thanks Tom I did find a stamped area at front of engine with a matching Vin number but the other codes I found that are cast onto the engine are 3931063 or that first number could be an S also I found GM 3T I didnt see any of the letters you mentioned but I probably ned to take another look. The car is a beast and must be carefully driven so as to not get carried away.

Last edited:
I think kpic is right, those are the casting numbers for the heads. I don't remember where those casting numbers are on the big-block. I want to say on the drivers side. You'll have to get the car up on a lift.....maybe they are on the top back of the block too, behind the head near where the bellhousing meets the block. Anyway, if you have located the matching VIN, you know you have the correct engine. Which 427 is it supposed to be?

Totally understand! We willing and ready to help anyway we can. . . .

Welcome! I am a newbie as well. Just picked up an 85 this week. I too am in SW Ohio, up in the Wilmington area but I work down in Montgomery
IMG_1097_opt.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom