Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Tires

Bonnell

Corvette
2008 Convertible
I always love it when I get new tires. I don't know why but it is like Christmas.

I have Goodyear GS-D3s on it now. These were on it when I purchased the car. I don't know if they were brand new or not but I have gotten 28K miles out of them. They would probably go another 4k or so but I am traveling next week to see my family and I don't want to make a trip on marginal tires.

I really considered a lot a tires. I have been researching for months now. I like the safety of runflats but I don't like the expense and the limited service facilities.

I love the GS-D3s and I have a ContiComfortKit (I hope it works as advertised) so that is what I am going with GS-D3.

There are lots of tire threads over time so I thought I'd share my thoughts and maybe it will help the next guy.:beer

BTW: I purchased from my local GY dealer for $1,188.93 installed and balanced. If I purchased through Tire Rack the total cost would have been $1,089.00 including shipping and local installation charges. I like my local GY dealer and I am willing to spend $100 extra to support a local business - and - it is a lot less hassel than ordering and having them shipped, etc.

Planning on going with GS D3's this spring. Would like to hear your opinion after the "trip"

I have driven 28K miles on teh GS-D3 already. This is my DD and I add most of my miles driving between Conway and Little Rock (~75 round trip). I love to take it out on our curvy roads and have fun.

These tire stick like you are on rails. They are great in wet driving as well. Check out Hib's review of these tires on this site.

The only drawback (and the reason I even considered anything else) is that they are summaer tires and are "not recommended for freezing or near freezing weather". In central Arkansas there are many freezing or near freezing mornings and some like last week where the weather is REALLY freezing. The tires are hard in this weather and I have to be careful.

I just drive carefully. I love these tires.

BF Goodrich T/A KDW-2's

Here's another non-runflat alternative made by BF Goodrich that have become very to be popular with the C5 crowd. I've had them on mine for about 6k miles and so far I'm pretty happy. Great dry traction, superior in the rain, super quiet and many choices in sizes. Of coarse they too are not designed for temperatures below 32 degrees.
Remo:cool

bfg_gforce_ta_kdw2_ci2_l.jpg

Of coarse they too are not designed for temperatures below 32 degrees.

Wow, Remo, I learn something new every day from you. ;) I had no idea they were capable of making temperature-discriminating rubber.
:chuckle

So, out of curiosity, let's say I get a set of these, and head up over Vail Pass on I-70 one day. Let's say it's September, and even though it's in the 70's on the front range, and the weather is clear, at the top of Vail Pass, the outside temperature drops to 31-degrees. What would happen to these tires?
;shrug

-Patrick

So, out of curiosity, let's say I get a set of these, and head up over Vail Pass on I-70 one day. Let's say it's September, and even though it's in the 70's on the front range, and the weather is clear, at the top of Vail Pass, the outside temperature drops to 31-degrees. What would happen to these tires?
;shrug

-Patrick
Well on your car we don't know,but on Remo's they'd be spining him around heading back to MA before any frost formed on the road!!:boogie:boogie:boogie

Wow, Remo, I learn something new every day from you. ;) I had no idea they were capable of making temperature-discriminating rubber.
:chuckle

;shrug

-Patrick

Patrick - since I'm familiar with your driving capabilities I'd recommend you keep "traction control" fully engaged - no matter what the temperature is.:L

2003889437856052509_rs.jpg

Ok, the new GS-D3s are on. What a difference. News tires ride soooo well!

KDW's are awsome, my favorite. Got'em on two cars, but remo's right , adhesion to the road drops as the temp drops.

My problem now is that they are so smooth I am at 90 before I realize it.:ugh

Tires

I got Michellin Run Flats for my black 01 Coupe--bought car in Jan 07 w/13,650 miles. It was owned by a 69 year old woman--as you can guess it was/is in showroom condition. I'm 64 and I don't "burn rubber." At 19,000 miles the original tires were shot. A good thing as they were rock hard. Car has 20,200 miles and is a joy to drive. Love the Michelins I put on--SOOOO much more quiet than the Goodyear's!! Other Vette owners who've driven the car are amazed at the difference they afford from their Goodyear's. And, the price was real nice--$1,223 less a $50 rebate and since I've bought 3 sets of tires from my local dealer, I got a free alignment and no cost lifetime balancing. Had to replace driver side lower control arm. Nothing like the "thrill" of driving a Vette! It must be experienced to know the feeling!
Bob

I always love it when I get new tires. I don't know why but it is like Christmas.

I have Goodyear GS-D3s on it now. These were on it when I purchased the car. I don't know if they were brand new or not but I have gotten 28K miles out of them. They would probably go another 4k or so but I am traveling next week to see my family and I don't want to make a trip on marginal tires.

I really considered a lot a tires. I have been researching for months now. I like the safety of runflats but I don't like the expense and the limited service facilities.

I love the GS-D3s and I have a ContiComfortKit (I hope it works as advertised) so that is what I am going with GS-D3.

There are lots of tire threads over time so I thought I'd share my thoughts and maybe it will help the next guy.:beer

BTW: I purchased from my local GY dealer for $1,188.93 installed and balanced. If I purchased through Tire Rack the total cost would have been $1,089.00 including shipping and local installation charges. I like my local GY dealer and I am willing to spend $100 extra to support a local business - and - it is a lot less hassel than ordering and having them shipped, etc.

I got Michellin Run Flats for my black 01 Coupe--bought car in Jan 07 w/13,650 miles. It was owned by a 69 year old woman--as you can guess it was/is in showroom condition. I'm 64 and I don't "burn rubber." At 19,000 miles the original tires were shot. A good thing as they were rock hard. Car has 20,200 miles and is a joy to drive. Love the Michelins I put on--SOOOO much more quiet than the Goodyear's!! Other Vette owners who've driven the car are amazed at the difference they afford from their Goodyear's. And, the price was real nice--$1,223 less a $50 rebate and since I've bought 3 sets of tires from my local dealer, I got a free alignment and no cost lifetime balancing. Had to replace driver side lower control arm. Nothing like the "thrill" of driving a Vette! It must be experienced to know the feeling!
Bob

I like the Michellins too. They were more expensive than the GSD3s but not by much. My final decision was made based on my experience with the D3s, Hib's review here on the CAC and, finally, I love the way the D3s look.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.:beer

Bob
My Y2K had Michellins on it when I bought, so I have nothing to compare them to, but I like the ride and the grip that they have. I am missing the "thrill" right now until it warms up a bit. And you are right it must be experienced, but I think I am preaching to the choir.:L

Love the GS-D3s but unfortunately dusted the rears after only 15k miles. Doesn't help that I autocrossed on them either. Fronts look good for another 10k or so. Just about to replace the rears when a friend offered me Z06 repro chrome wheels with almost new Kumho (SPs front, MXs rear) tires on them for $600. Had to upgrade the TPMS to new style 2001 (his were 1999 style), re-trained them and good to go. I'll save the '01 chrome OEM thin spokes for shows.

Speaking of getting new tires, I'm about to replace mine. I have the orignal runflats and was thinking of sticking with those. But I'm still researching and you guys have a lot of great ideas.

But as I've been looking, my local Corvette mechanic is telling me that instead of a front-end alignment, I need an all-wheel alignment.

Is that true? An all-wheel alignment?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom