Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New to the CAC planning on buying a C-3

F1ashman

Greetings. Just joined CAC to try and get smart on C-3 (1969 - 1972) Corvettes. Lots of hard to find knowledge here. Have had numerous Chevies all with small blocks. Planning on buying a C-3 (1969 - 1972) small block coupe with an automatic so the wife can drive occasionally. Question is - did C-3 Corvettes have both Turbo 350's standard and Turbo 400's available as an option (M40). Reason I ask is that I have a built 350 engine and GER brand rebuilt Turbo 350 sitting in my garage that I plan on swapping into the C-3 that I buy. I will keep the numbers matching engine and transmission. I see C-3's for sale but always seem to have Turbo 400's listed as the automatic. I know that if I buy a C-3 with a Turbo 400 I would have to swap the yoke and install a manual kickdown cable on the carb. Any clarification regarding Turbo 350's in 1969 -1972 and suggestions regarding the engine/ transmission swap would be appreciated. Thanx in advance. Respectfully.
:beer

welcome

welcome to the cac, wish i could help with the techenicals but not that well versed, i drive them not fix them. if were the 50's/60's we were talking about i would be more able help, thats what great obout the cac there are many people willing to help.:) :) :) :) :) :) :) Billy

welcome to CAC!!!
Good luck in your search for a vette...
Hope you find the vette of your dreams and enjoy the forums...
Sorry,I'm not able to answer your questions,I'm partial to the '81's
Some one will be along to answer them!!!!!!!

smilies-42650.png

F1ashman - glad you joined us!!

I can't help you with your technical questions but maybe I can give you links to some useful information to look over until a more knowledgeable member chimes in.

The Tech Center drop down menu has links to both the CAC Knowledgebase Page and the CAC Model Center Index Page.

Happy searching!!
:w Jane Ann

Greetings. Just joined CAC to try and get smart on C-3 (1969 - 1972) Corvettes. Lots of hard to find knowledge here. Have had numerous Chevies all with small blocks. Planning on buying a C-3 (1969 - 1972) small block coupe with an automatic so the wife can drive occasionally. Question is - did C-3 Corvettes have both Turbo 350's standard and Turbo 400's available as an option (M40). Reason I ask is that I have a built 350 engine and GER brand rebuilt Turbo 350 sitting in my garage that I plan on swapping into the C-3 that I buy. I will keep the numbers matching engine and transmission. I see C-3's for sale but always seem to have Turbo 400's listed as the automatic. I know that if I buy a C-3 with a Turbo 400 I would have to swap the yoke and install a manual kickdown cable on the carb. Any clarification regarding Turbo 350's in 1969 -1972 and suggestions regarding the engine/ transmission swap would be appreciated. Thanx in advance. Respectfully.
In 1968-1969 3sp manual was Base Transmission!!(Very Rare 326 made in 69,I have one!!) And there were 3/ 4 sp Options M20,M21,M22 Plus Automatic Option M40!! In 1970-1977 M21 4 sp and M40 Automatic were Standard Equipment you could get witch ever you wanted,But the M22 was extra as a Option!!!! As far as turbo 350 or 400 it depended as to which engine it had in it I believe the base engine cars had Turbo 350's and Higher HP had 400's!! But "JohnZ" would know for sure :upthumbs :Steer :lou :bu :pat

Flashman, welcome to the :CAC . Lots of good advice from the guys (and gals). Enjoy the site. Dave :w
ACORVETTE81REDCORVETTE81REDCORVE-2.jpg

:bar

All 1968-1975 Corvette automatic transmissions were Turbo 400's; in 1976-77, the base engine (L48) automatics used the Turbo 350, and the optional (L82) cars used the Turbo 400. From 1978-81, all automatics were Turbo 350's, and in 1982 all automatics were 700R-4's.

Thanx

Appreciate the greetings and help sorting out the transmission question. Guess I will wait and see what shape my hopefully soon (C-3 1968 - 1972's) to be purchased Vette's transmission is in and go from there. Once again thanx for the greetings and tech help especially JohnZ. Respectfully

F1ash,
The Illustrated Corvette Buyer's Guide will be a big help before you start your search. The Corvette aftermarket providers carrry the book and they occasionally pop up on ebay.

Makes good reading.

:)

F1ashman, welcome to the :CAC

Be sure to check out the Tech Center link above this thread. If you roll over it with your mouse, you'll be presented with a plethora of good references. You'll can find a check list to take with you when looking at a potential Corvette. You can go into the Model Center and see all the options available for each year, as well as little notes about that specific year. (It's our own little Corvette Black Book online!) All kinds of stuff can be found in the Tech Center, so be sure to give it a look!

Be sure to visit often and never hesitate to ask a question. These cars are over 30 years old. More than likely someone else has already dealt with whatever problem you may come across and can tell you how to fix it and/or where to find the parts necessary.
Along those same lines, if you do have a question, you can always first go up to the Search function and do an Advanced Search. Put in a couple of key words and select the C3 forums as where to perform the search. You'll likely generate a couple of threads in which someone may have already asked the same questions and thus already have the answers posted as well!

Again, Welcome! :w

F1ash,
The Illustrated Corvette Buyer's Guide will be a big help before you start your search. The Corvette aftermarket providers carrry the book and they occasionally pop up on ebay.

Makes good reading.

:)

welcome to CAC. in addition to the above, you might want to invest in the 1953-2007 corvette blackbook. it lists production figures, trim codes, options by code number, etc. they're pretty reasonavle, pocket sized and a great reference source.

F1ash,

You will likely find C3 'Vettes in all types of condition and degrees of originality at prices ranging from seeming bargains to astronomically outrageous. Look for a nice one in good condition with almost all the necessary items in good working order, it means someone else has preserved the car well or already spent the time and money to get it there. The extra dough you spend will be well spent.

I bought my '78 SA ride in '02 for $6,500.00 in fair basic condition with a 3/4-assed amature respray job on it and a non-matching powerplant. I have since spent another 10 plus grand on it and am not finished yet. Among other things, I just replaced the driver's door hinges, fixed the turn signal and light dimmer, got the door locks and interior lights in working order, replaced all 13 of the dash lights, got the horn working, etc. at a cost of another 2 plus grand (I don't DARE keep track of the actual expenditures.) It still needs a new dashpad which is a pain-in-the-butt to replace.

In addition to the necessary stuff I have also dropped in a GMPP ZZ4 crate motor hooked up to a TH700-R4 OD trans, and installed re-man '82 seats. It will forever be an unfinished project, but I'll likely die with the old rattletrap.

To me, the C3s are the last REAL Corvette, most of 'em are raw and uncivilized compared to C4 and later. My wife's '86 Pace Car convertible is a luxury ride compared to my '78 with the gymkhana suspension.

Another great source for C3 knowledge is http://www.C3VR.com, the C3 'Vette Registry.

Welcome aboard and good luck in your search.

Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom