Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Newbie here! Help

M

Mr. Munson

Hello all,
I had a leased 1998 C5 that was turned in last July. I am looking to buy a 1982 collectors edition. The one that I am going to look at has 60,000 miles. The owner says it is in great condition and he has been the same owner for the last 15 years. I am going to look at it this Sunday. He is asking $12,900. Any tips or help would be appreciated in what to look for when inspecting it.

Thanks.

The list of things to look for is long. I couldn't get the Corvette Fever links to work above so here are some links to discussions here on the topic. If at all possible, take someone with you who owns a shark and knows them very well.

Here are the links, hope it helps.
Frame Rust
75 Corvette

Best of luck and be careful. Knowledge is the best tool when looking at an old Vette.

One more thing, has the car been driven much in the last few years? If not, you will most likely be dealing with brake problems and rotted rubber all over (not the tires but the PITA stuff in the suspension) unless it has poly bushings. Pop the cap on the master cylinder and inspect the fluid after you've applied heavy pressure to the brakes; look for dark specs and air bubbles. Brake problems shouldn't necessarily scare you away from an otherwise nice car as brakes aren't too difficult.

Again, good luck!

- Eric :w

Mr. Munson,
Click on the tab at the top of the page called "Tools" go down to the misc. section. You'll find a form that will provide you with a excellent check list of items to look at when you go to inspect your new ride :)

BudD
:w

C5 to C3....

I definitely interested in knowing why you want to go backwards! I have my own reasons for wanting my C3 over a C5. I'm curious as to what yours are.

Also, are you getting the 82CE due to it's looks? From what I've been able to grasp over the years, The CrossFire injection on those cars (commonly referred to by other names :D) was could be very problematic compared to the standard L48/L82 in the '80 model.

But, it was the 82 that I first fell in love with and that's when I decided that I would own a vette. I still think it's one of the most pleasingly aesthetic vettes. In fact, I went so far as to have my '80 painted using the same scheme, just different colors. (Check my profile for a pic)

I think you'll find that the C3 waters are inhibited by much more friendly sharks than those you might find drivign C5's :D (flame suit on!)

I have a CE and love it. See how many miles it was driven yearly and when was the last time it was driven/how often. Also, if he owned it for 15 years, ask to see service records for it. My crossfire runs great, all i had to do was balance the injectors and no problems.

not what expected

I went to look at the '82 CE today. What some people consider as exceptional condition, I consider a POS. It drives me crazy when people consider restoring a car is just new tires and a new muffler. I'll keep on looking, I suppose it pays to spend a little more on a better quality car.

You probably aware of this, but most restorers will tell you if you're interested in restoring a Corvette (or any old car for that matter) it's best to buy it completed, rather than attempt a restoration from scratch.

I know you might not be interested in a numbers-matching original, but the same rule-of-thumb still applies. ;)

_ken :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom