Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

(newbie) I have a ? about 73 vette heater relay

M

mrrocket

Hey all, I was reffered to ya'll by a friend on another car board. Said ya'll could probably help me out, so here is my question, hope im following board "protocol".

I have a 73 COrvette, with a 4 speed in my shop right now. I have rewired the wiper motor, turn signls and headlamp switch (prior shops 'work') so far, and the last stumbling block is the heater blower motor relay. The customer brought it to me, with relay in hand, and NO connectors. I have the wiring diagram, well two actually, but it doesnt tell me the relay terminal numbers, just colors. I did wire according to another corvette persons instruction, but still it doesnt work. I can force the blower to operate at 1 speed, by applying a ground to the bottom two terminal, or by applying ground to one of the the 2 inline wires, off the relay AND to the center terminal ON the relay woth it all hooked up, but I cant make it work allone. I have power at 3 of the 4 wires, and the heater resistor SEEMS o be working. I know this is probably really vague, but if anyone has dealt with these relays and wiring on this circut wiring, I will happily get all the wire colors together and voltages, resistances, etc together.
Oh yeas, one of the diagrams that the customer gave me doesnt even show a realy, but THe other one does (Chiltons...POS). Thanks for any help you might have!

Mike

Mike,

Welcome to the CAC. You will like it here a lot. Unfortunately I sold my '72 shop manual with the car (btw... big mistake on my part) and I doubt my '81 is wired the same. However, do not worry; there are quite a few '73 experts here that I'm sure willl weigh in very soon with plenty of help.

Enjoy the site and welcome.

Regards............... Nut

Mike,
I don't know if it is what you are needing but I have the factory wiring diagrams up on my web page, The '73 Spot. www.1973-corvette.com Just select Technical Info and then wiring diagrams.

Hope they help some.

tom...

Thanks Nut, good to see car people that are helpfull!

Hey Tom73, Yeah, I have those too. Seems they are the same as mine. I think my bigest problem is this. I know i will probably sound dumb, but:
The switch in the dash. It controls batrtery voltage, right? he resistor, changes drop the current, therefore reducing he fan speed, right? there is a ground, going to the relay (black), right? then there are 3 other wires going into the relay. Do you happen to know the order, form closest to the firewall, starting on the right, byt the color of the wire, that they attach to the relay? The diagram I have has different colors, so im wondering if the harness isnt from a 72 or 74, depending on build date? I know htis sounds dumb, but im really tired of chasing wires and grounds through a fiberglass body..lol.
Thanks for your help thus far, ill go dig through your site some more...looks good by the way.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom