Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

[News] Corvette catches fire in Tampa storage unit

Red Vette,

You're welcome. I used the bypass harness (with inline fuse) until I forgot that the knob wasn't tightened, one time, and I turned the ignition switch. The starter tried to suck power through that little ol' skinny harness and fuse. The fuse didn't last long. :rotfl

I removed the bypass harness and now just reset the clock each time without any apparent problems.

As for your computers............... ;shrug Sorry. Don't know.

There has been enough reporting in the past of issues with the Green Knob style of battery disconnect. Some report that you really need to crank the knob down to get a good connection for electrical connections. I had similar issues when i bought my first battery disconnect. Because of these reports and my personal experience, I went with the knife blade style. Copper blade fitting into copper connectors. Good connections EVERY time.

Gary
ps, ok, now you have a battery disconnect. do you have a $15 fire extinguisher? I have needed one of those too, when working on my carb.

Have the blade type disconnect and love it..simple flip over and you have full power..and keeps the battery life much longer than without one..love it! ;)

I've experienced no connection problems with the knob-type disconnect. They have an additional advantage, over the blade type disconnect. By completely removing and taking the knob with you, that's one more problem for the thief/joy rider to overcome. ;)

So If it still has a wire that is hot, what keeps that from stil causing a fire and if I bring my own knob can I drive your car?

I have the knob on mine. The previous owner must have installed it, and I know they take it off when my car gets stored for the winter. A couple of years ago I picked the car up out of storage and brought it in for a sticker. The kid (and I didn't want this ~18 year old anywhere near my car...he was REALLY cocky...but then he couldn't figure out how to open the door) gets in and all of a sudden the car doesn't start. I get in, and no go......and by now I was ready to pop. I checked the battery compartment, and sure enough the knob was loose.

The problem I find with the knob is, you just can't see in the battery compartment. At least in my car. I have a black interior, and if the car is in the garage - or even when it's outside for that matter, you need a flash light to see what you're doing. It's a real pita.

I know this but have not done anything about it. Thanks to all for motivating me to get off my duff and protect my babies!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom