Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

[News] Police seek car in abduction attempt

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Police seek car in abduction attempt

By STEPHEN GURR
The Gainesville Times
1-20-07

A man who authorities say tried to abduct two 11-year-old girls from a park may have been driving a sports car with a rare paint job.

On Friday, Hall County Sheriff's officials issued a lookout for a Chevrolet Corvette from 2000 to 2003 with a "limited edition" medium blue paint job, chrome spoke wheels and round chrome exhaust pipes.

Maj. Jeff Strickland said that several witnesses spotted a car with that description around the time of the Jan. 3 attempted abduction at the Four Seasons on Lanier subdivision.

Sheriff's officials said two girls were in the park when they were approached by a man who appeared to be holding a handgun. The man grabbed one of the girls, but she was able to wrest free. Both girls ran away and were uninjured.

A composite sketch of the assailant has been widely distributed since the incident.

The car lookout came out of leads generated by investigators, Strickland said Friday.

"We had leads where a number of people indicated seeing a blue Corvette in the area at the time of the attempted abduction," Strickland said, adding that witnesses were shown photographs of various year models and picked the 2000-03 Corvette with the limited edition paint job as the closest to what they saw.

Hall County investigators have combed through vehicle registration records of more than 200 Corvettes registered in the county, but so far, "none have matched that description," Strickland said.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Hall County Sheriff's Office at (770) 531-6879.

Originally published Saturday, January 20, 2007
<!-- bodytext -->

attachment.php

attachment.php

Source: http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/news/stories/20070120/localnews/151041.shtml

Abduction Attempt was in Georgia

It will be useful to readers of the post to know that the location was Gainesville, Georgia which is about 30 miles northeast of Atlanta. Accordingly this vehicle is likely in the Atlanta vicinity.

Abduction Attempt

I know I'm in Virginia, but it might be helpful to our more southern membership if someone could post an image of the paint scheme mentioned in the attempt. I'm not familiar with it, so maybe others are not. It could be useful. You just never know...

I don't recall a special edition blue Corvette for that time period. What are they talking about? The 2004 ZO6 with stripes?

I hope they catch this guy; it couldn't be too hard, he's driving a very conspicuous car.

I am so glad those girls got away. How frightening. As a parent of a 9yr old I worry all the time and drill into him what to do and how to stay with a buddy and not go anywhere alone etc. Its a scary world for sure esp in light of the recent news events.
There was just another abduction of a girl who got away 160 miles from home. I think she is from OK.
We can Lojack our cars, but what about our kids?

Maybe an implant type chip. I'm sure there would be some crying about civil liberties be violated from the wack jobs.

What's interesting is that there was no limited edition Corvette built between 2000 and 2003....at least not in that color.

The only thing I can think of is that it's a 2003, 50th Anniversary Corvette, but not not in the dark red metallic paint.

Given the picture provided, it's also not a Z06, so it can't be the 2004 Commemorative Edition Z06 either...

The car in the picture is Nassau Blue.

In the 2000-2003 span, the Corvette was offered in only 3 shades of blue. From our own production number pages on the CAC:

2000 23U Nassau Blue Metallic
28U Navy Blue Metallic

2001 28U Navy Blue Metallic

2002 21U Electron BlueMetallic

2003 21U Electron Blue Metallic

However the owner of that Blue Vette, may have had some Custom Paint Shop do the Stripe's to possibly "Resemble" some particular "Special Edition" Vette,
or they may just be a "One-Off" custom stripe job!

Actually I did some research here on the CAC. That photo looks like it's Nassau Blue.

Nassau Blue is a rare color, and was only in production from 1997 to 2000.

I've already been in touch with the reporter who wrote the article and I've passed on the information to him.

Hopefully it will help in some small way in the investigation.

Unless I haven't seen the actual photo you are referring to, here is a quote from the Gainsville newspaper:
Hall County sheriff's officials have issued a lookout for a Chevrolet Corvette, similar to the one pictured above, that may be driven by the man who reportedly attempted to kidnap two girls in a South Hall subdivision.
There's a good chance that they just found the first blue Corvette picture they could find for that article. It's not the actual vehicle. That isn't to say the pervert's car isn't Nassau Blue, but it also doesn't 100% say it either.

The difference between a coupe and a Z06 is easy for us Corvette fanatics to discern. However, to normal people they look the same.

In any event, a Corvette in any color is still a fairly conspicuous car so hopefully they will find the guy.

Police seek car in abduction attempt

By STEPHEN GURR
The Gainesville Times
1-20-07

A man who authorities say tried to abduct two 11-year-old girls from a park may have been driving a sports car with a rare paint job.

On Friday, Hall County Sheriff's officials issued a lookout for a Chevrolet Corvette from 2000 to 2003 with a "limited edition" medium blue paint job, chrome spoke wheels and round chrome exhaust pipes.

Maj. Jeff Strickland said that several witnesses spotted a car with that description around the time of the Jan. 3 attempted abduction at the Four Seasons on Lanier subdivision.

Sheriff's officials said two girls were in the park when they were approached by a man who appeared to be holding a handgun. The man grabbed one of the girls, but she was able to wrest free. Both girls ran away and were uninjured.

A composite sketch of the assailant has been widely distributed since the incident.

The car lookout came out of leads generated by investigators, Strickland said Friday.

"We had leads where a number of people indicated seeing a blue Corvette in the area at the time of the attempted abduction," Strickland said, adding that witnesses were shown photographs of various year models and picked the 2000-03 Corvette with the limited edition paint job as the closest to what they saw.

Hall County investigators have combed through vehicle registration records of more than 200 Corvettes registered in the county, but so far, "none have matched that description," Strickland said.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Hall County Sheriff's Office at (770) 531-6879.

Originally published Saturday, January 20, 2007
<!-- bodytext -->

attachment.php

attachment.php

Source: http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/news/stories/20070120/localnews/151041.shtml

An armed ped in a Vette!!! A 3-fer bit of horror. Too bad an Amber Alert didn't go out for the car and driver as soon as law enforcement got descriptions.

The description of the Vette sounds close Nassau Blue, but it's not a medium color blue-it's more like a dark baby blue. Could be the 50th Anny LeMans Blue w/the faux C5R decals.

Kudos to the witnesses--pretty precise description of the Vette. Thank God they even noticed the ped.

Round tailpipes ? Check Flowmaster registrations....custom exhaust vendors? Ez-Pass records show any registered vette toll crossings in the previous two hours in the vicinity? Not in law enforcement.(so very likely all this is either "not checkable" like 14,000 places you could get an exhaust modified in the area or .....already checked)..just thinking out loud.

flows

Ummm.. Flowmasters for C5's aren't round. They are more like two sideways semi-circles next to each other for each side of the exhaust. They definately look like four tailpipes rather than two. Borla on the other hand makes a Stinger exhaust that is two round output pipes about 4 inches in diameter.

Back to the subject- witness testimony is rarely reliable. The car may have been any number of colors, and the newspaper reporter always try to sensationalize things so that picture, IMHO, probably isn't the same color as whatever color they saw. I wonder why they didn't use the Amber alert system?

-Stan

EDIT to keep it relevant.

Can't put out an amber alert for the suspect and car if he didn't kidnap anybody, only an attempt.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom