Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No Shift Lock Out - Auto Tranny

Nut

Corvette
Vette-less for now
After noticing some comments on a different post about shifter cables, it reminded me of an oddity on my '81. With the ignition off, locked and key removed and can shift the car out of PARK and through all the gears. (Needless to say, a nice feature if you are a car thief). I called the original owner and asked if he "disabled" the feature for any reason and he said it was always that way from Day 1. Call me sceptical, but something seems wrong with this picture. Any thoughts folks? Oh yeah, the shift indicator needle was a nice addition.

Thanks............ Nut

Just take a quick look under the car. Should be a cable coming off of the shifter and running forward to the are where the steering column comes thru the firewall. The column has a lever there. Bet the cable is not connected to that lever or the cable is broken.

tom...

Hmmmm

Must have the same problem with 78. Steering column locks the wheel, but you can shift through the gears. We'll have to check.
Sil

Tom,

My '72 locked out the shifter but I'm hearing the later year sharks lost this feature. You hear that too Sil? I'm still going to slide under this weekend and look, but the last time a changed out a speedo cable I saw nothing missing on disconnected on or around the tranny.

Thanks for the input......... Nut

I can't help you out Nut but I can't imagine that GM would have dropped that feature considering that Vettes were the car to steal back then. :( Kinda souds like one of those "yeh that broke years ago but me and maw decided to jess leave it thataway." My sister had an AMC Hornet that went one better - started without a key and can you guess who figured it out? Yep, her 12 year old (at the time) brother named Eric.:L

lock cable

Hey Nut,

The '81s don't have the gear shift lever lock. My parts book shows the cable for '69 to '76.

Tom

Unbelieveable! Wonder why? Should have asked the "experts" in BG this summer. Interesting feature to drop.

Thanks Tom.

....... Nut

Cannot speak for later sharks but my C4 has the gearshift lockout.

tom...

Perhaps this explains why so many were/are stolen. What the heck were they thinking. I guess that's just one more reason insurance is so $$$$ on these cars :t .

- Eric

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom