Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

The vette doesn't qualify for cash for clunkers. It gets more tham 18MPG on average. Wonder why he fried the engine.

Yep, might as well fry the engine in my truck because it does not get 18 mpg!!

Two dumb bastard's, I'd like to know what GM dealership that was (the guy filming with his camera had on a GM Goodwrench shirt on) some one there(at the dealership) could have figured out a way to make that car disappear and come back as a beautiful restored vette. there's loopholes everywhere!!! :confused And to top it off the guy filming with his phone asked the dope that trashed the engine Why'd you do that? Dope's reply...I don't know. WTF :rotfl

The car look to be in decent shape. One of the things I remember and first noticed was the condition of the wheels. They looked very nice. The engine compartment looked good as well. What a bunch of idiots. I too would like to know what dealership that was.

I too would like to know what dealership that was.[/QUOTE said:
I realy don't think a dealer was involved. The government plan will not give them any cash for a car that gets more than 18MPG. Just a hoax on utube.

Cars that qualify for cash for clunkers

As curiousity I went on line and check the qualifing page for cash for clunkers -- results My wife's 86 Buick Electra 3.8L would not qualify, my daugther's 94 Grand Prix 3.1L would not qualify BUT my '86 Corvette coupe DID.

Don't worry I will never get rid of my Vettes

Per the CARS website... a 1995 Vette w/ 6spd manual qualifies.
:ugh

CARS - Car Allowance Rebate System

-But a 1997 C5 does not.
How bout a 1993 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 5sp 4X4??:confused

Img101.jpg

What is a 1988 Vette with 175K miles on it, fair condition worth? (Light blue, automatic)

Here is the story. Neighbor has the car, needs lots of TLC and rubber - from tires to gaskets but runs OK. No one over 20 years old who ever heard the phrase "L4 and L5" would want to spend more than a few minutes in it but its Ok on perfectly flat ground.

Best offer so far was around $2500. Local dealer offered the clunker deal and another $300 (sales tax break on the $3500) for a total of $3800. He brough the car to Kerbecks a few months ago. No joy there.

I can see the motivation for trashing it in the clunkers program, but he didnt go that route.

Dead-end program

Very disturbing to see such a waste, Then you have the ignorent fools laughing about it...... No horse here, it's the Corvette owner :BDH

First, of all what kind of evil misguided soul would trade in a corvette for cash for clunkers?

Second, just another example of how the Gov't is WAY beyond its limits outlined in the Constitution. Bush started burning it and Obama finished it off.

I hope the idiots burn in ****. :mad:mad:mad

ON a positive note hard to kill a Small Block Chevy even with sustained revs and NO oil...Gotta love that. Long live the Pushrod...:thumb

One last note, they will bury me in my Corvette, along with my guns and my Bible. Outta my cold, dead hands you will:finger!!!

As curiousity I went on line and check the qualifing page for cash for clunkers -- results My wife's 86 Buick Electra 3.8L would not qualify, my daugther's 94 Grand Prix 3.1L would not qualify BUT my '86 Corvette coupe DID.

Don't worry I will never get rid of my Vettes

I must be looking in the wrong place. I don't sere any corvettes qualifying.

CARS.gov - Car Allowance Rebate System - Home - Formerly Referred to as “Cash for Clunkers”

and nothing pre 1987.

I'm so glad to see how our taxpayers dollars are spent. How enlightening.:ugh
I know that not all corvettes are cream puffs, but Dang that was pitiful. And they jailed Michael Vick.

Further...You don't get a car for free after you trade in the clunker. It will likely cost another $25000 - $30000 for the foreign replacement. The people who trade the clunkers most likely dont have the money in the first place. NOW they are back in debt which started the thing in the first place. As was noted above there are so many who could have used a good $4000 car.

But feel secure the planet is now saved!! :grouphug:

BTW this program was so widely heralded in Germany where the news said it got great accolades. I would like to hear the real story and see the German Klunkers that were "glassed". I would suspect that they were not nearly as good as most of ours, and would have been junked anyhow. :duh

...where the news said... :chuckle

Right.. After the program ran for a while, most everyone figured out it was to support the car dealers. And yes, the new, small size cars, sold like hotcakes. Trouble is, people who had junked their old car (different rules then you guys' program) were the ones shopping for a new one in the first place. :eyerole

And yes, the old ones had to be junked, title detroyed and all. Some still went to Africa, like before, this time without a title. :ugh

A lot of cars on the crushing block were really good cars. :eyerole:thumb:eyerole Dummies.

Here is a pretty good article:
Der Spiegel said:
CASH FOR CLUNKERS

Car-Scrapping Plans -- Germany's Lessons

By Jack Ewing
German Chancellor Angela Merkel's cash-for-clunkers scheme has boosted auto sales, saved factory jobs, and rid the roads of gas guzzlers. But the costs are high.

The global auto industry may be facing its worst crisis ever, but you'd never know it at Ford Motor's factory in Cologne. There, workers are putting in extra shifts on weekends to cope with demand for the compact Fiesta. In fact, Ford sales have been booming in Germany. Customers have placed orders for 68,500 Fiestas, Ka subcompacts, and midsize Fusions in the four months to April, more than triple the year-earlier figure

more here.

These 'programs', whereever they are, are moving tax money from 1 side to the other 'schemes'. Simple as that. They dont do anything for anyone, except the taxpayer get's rooked. As usual.

:w
-Stefan

First, of all what kind of evil misguided soul would trade in a corvette for cash for clunkers?

Second, just another example of how the Gov't is WAY beyond its limits outlined in the Constitution. Bush started burning it and Obama finished it off.

I hope the idiots burn in ****. :mad:mad:mad

ON a positive note hard to kill a Small Block Chevy even with sustained revs and NO oil...Gotta love that. Long live the Pushrod...:thumb

One last note, they will bury me in my Corvette, along with my guns and my Bible. Outta my cold, dead hands you will:finger!!!
;LOL;LOLPlease send ;help

Dunno I would have fought hard to keep that from happening if I worked at that dealership. Hell I would have offered up another car in its place!

Rumors fly that some salesmen have been fired for placing a very good/valuable car into the clunkers program. When a customer comes in looking to gov't clunker a car, the dealer doesn't have to put it into the program, but rather trade it in at the clunker price. They can sell it later. BUT once in the system, it can't come out. :nono
As things are going they aren't getting paid anyhow. Obviously the sales force is too used to sleeping/eating doughnuts. You snooze.......

When following the links previously posted....an 84 Vette MAY qualify!
Stupid and moronic! I suppose my 2005 Element that gets LOUSY mileage despite EPA estimates doesnt qualify because it can seat 4 people. Lucky if I get 20 mpg in my "greener Honda". This week when it was hot and I used a/c it was pitiful 16mpg)
My vette that gets EPA 17-24 (and in SAME loop as Honda gets 22 or 21 with A/C) does qualify as clunker because it only holds 2 people?
Yet I can commute by myself in either car!?!?!? WTF?;shrug

Worst Fear

This is pretty much what I was afraid was going to happen - morons throwing away good cars because they're too stupid to realize the reality of the situation. I can't imagine all the good rides being sacrificed at the halls of ignorance, but leave it to the gv't to get the sheep to do what they're told.
That Vette can be saved if it can be found, unlike the a$$holes who wrecked the engine. I certainly noticed a long time before it burned up.

>> We should start a national VetteActionCtr Corvette Preservation Patrol: All Vette owners are asked to call in wayward and unloved Vettes that they see, then the Vette Patrol aquires the car, rebuilds it or just reconditions it and sells it to the Vette community for a life of unconditional love. I can see it now - thousands of jobs created, lots of economic activity IN THE U.S. and the feeling of love and respect throughout the land ( add verse of "We Are The World" here ).

Just thinkin' outta the box here :rotfl

I went to the clunker website and checked on my '96 LT1 and I read that it may qualify.. Not that I would ever consider it!!! Obama and his crony czars would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands first!!!! :finger What a waste and the f?cktard who let that happen to that '86! :r I just hope someone rescues that vette and replaces the engine.. :_rock

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom