Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

O2 Sensor Information

the silicon in the sealer contaminats the sensors and renders it inoperative or unresponsive Steve

So,,,,, I used some silicone on my intake manifold at both ends.. will this then destroy my oxygen sensor?

So,,,,, I used some silicone on my intake manifold at both ends.. will this then destroy my oxygen sensor?

Hard to say, I'm not sure if it would be destroyed, seems far fetched for sure. We make parts for Lasers for a local company and they will not allow silicone materials anywhere. The slightest bit anywhere around gives the things problems. Silicone is pretty widely used as a sealant in engines...............I've never seen sealers that say "safe for 02 sensors". ;shrug

Too much silicone isn't good. A friend of mine worked at a popular, local engine building shop. He told me that many times he would find ribbons of cured silicone in the oil passages/ oil pick up. Excessive silicone squeezes to the inside, cures and drops off as the oil gets to it. Happened to an old ford Ranger I had, the oil pick up looked like a can of black worms...........

there ars sealants that are o2 friendly and do say so on the package I suppose it depends on how much is used but if it is not the right stuff you could have problems over the long hall Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom