Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Obsolete OnStar in the C6

lnirenberg said:
Its not that I'm getting older, which I am, as I am substantially electronic gizmoed out. But there does comes a time when a device begs the question, why? Why OnStar, what is it really for?
in case the old farts have a heart attack and crash their C-6 into a pole the air bag going off sends out a message over the on star.

motorman said:
in case the old farts have a heart attack and crash their C-6 into a pole the air bag going off sends out a message over the on star.

So for a retail price of $695 plus $16.95+/-(+tax) month you get the security of knowing that when you wrap you glass ass around a telephone pole and no one else cares enough to stop to help or call the police and all your fingers are broken making it impossible to dial 911 or worse yet you spent so much money on your beloved C6 that you had to dump the cell phone to make the monthly payments or, alternatively, you are unconcious, OnStar will always be there. Wow, that's even better than State Farm. Call me thick, but I just don't get it.

I'd be positively afraid to drive without my onstar!!!!

... and my walker won't fit in the cargo area.......

Seems to me that this fact about onstar is mentioned in the fine print in some C6 factory literature I have seen. So it serves you guys right. The TV ads for onstar just tickle the heck out of me. It seems to be for people who are weary of being responsible for themselves and /or children. I cannot believe anyone would order it on a vette. 'course I feel that way about the head UP display, xm radio, and other non performance do dads too. I guess when onstar on the '05 becomes obsolete some of you guys will just have to stop driving your cars since no one will be watching out for you. Decades ago a lean mean vette was one with radio delete and no AC , ps, or pb. Geeeeez some didn't even have power windows. Can you believe that????????????????????Today a lean mean vette is one without satellite radio, big brother watching your engine temp with onstar, or upgraded 50 CD stereo with ipod port. Good grief.

caddy said:
that means big brother can always know where you are at anytime
What makes you think big brother cares where you are? I can ask him, if you like, but I feel confident he doesn't give two hoots!! :D

There's a couple of positive aspects to OnStar... recovery of stolen vehicles, remote unlock for those blonde enough to lock themselves out, air-bag deployment notification...

Would I pay to have it installed? Not likely. If it were there standard, would I use it? Maybe... Extend the contract? Again, not likely.

-Mac

You know, that raises a good question about the success of OnStar's theft recovery. I wonder if the car thieves of today already know how to disable OnStar prior to driving the car off of somebody's driveway?
Tim

OLDGOAT said:
... I cannot believe anyone would order it on a vette. 'course I feel that way about the head UP display, xm radio, and other non performance do dads too. I guess when onstar on the '05 becomes obsolete some of you guys will just have to stop driving your cars since no one will be watching out for you. Decades ago a lean mean vette was one with radio delete and no AC , ps, or pb. Geeeeez some didn't even have power windows. Can you believe that????????????????????Today a lean mean vette is one without satellite radio, big brother watching your engine temp with onstar, or upgraded 50 CD stereo with ipod port. Good grief.

I agree with your cynical view of OnStar to a point. I think that Mac points out that conspiracy theorists need not apply. There are only a finite number of earth beings who care where any of us are at any given time and the odds are against Big Brother being counted among them.

As to the other creature comforts that are standard fare on recent examples of America’s finest, I think it just means that they are better at their split personality of pedestrian transportation and world class sports car. The world does march on, not always a good thing granted, but I hazard to guess that if you had to pick which of your Vettes you would take on a long trip it would be the ’05—comfortable seats, AC for the scorching weather, decent gas mileage, great tunes (my opinion--long journey in fast car w/o good tunes is like peanut butter w/o jelly. The drone of the exhaust gets tired at some point). The advances which help make the car more enjoyable and exhilarating to drive (the prime directive), good—the advances that add cost and complexity w/o positive contribution to the prime directive, bad. Sidebar--when I got my car, which is not optioned w/ power windows, my kids couldn't figure out how to get the windows down!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom