Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Obtaining Certificates of Origin from U.S. Customs?

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
I recently received this email below and I was wondering if anyone here had any detailed information on this? I've been asked this question before, but don't have the answers. I'd like to put together a small tech. article outlinging this information and necessary procedures since it seems to be a popular question.

COMMENTS: We have purchased a 1960 vette in conneticut we need
information on how to obtain a certificate of origin US customs suggested Gmc
might be able to provide one from the Vin number. Can you help us.

Rob, When I tried to find the history of my 66 ( Build sheet, cert. of origin, dealership delivery manifest etc. ) I was informed by GM, the Corvette Museum and the NCRS that ALL corvette records prior to 1982 have been purged,lost,deleted, destroyed and can not be located. The only way to obtain that kind of information for corvettes prior to 1982 would be the prior owners and whatever records they have. Steve

• Admin
srthom13 said:
Rob, When I tried to find the history of my 66 ( Build sheet, cert. of origin, dealership delivery manifest etc. ) I was informed by GM, the Corvette Museum and the NCRS that ALL corvette records prior to 1982 have been purged,lost,deleted, destroyed and can not be located. The only way to obtain that kind of information for corvettes prior to 1982 would be the prior owners and whatever records they have. Steve
If someone who lives in Canada buys a Corvette in the States, and has to have it shipped, how do they obtain the correct documentation then? What are other acceptable forms of documentation that can be used in place of a Cert. of Origin?

The "Certificate of Origin" is the original MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin" - pic below of a Corvette MSO), which was surrendered by the dealer to the DMV when the car was registered/titled/licensed to the original retail purchaser; it was the car's legal "birth certificate", and they still are today. They're only issued once, are surrendered to the DMV, and duplicates are not available.

I can't imagine any Customs officer requiring one, as you can't get one; the only legal paperwork for any car is its title and registration. I've brought several cars into the U.S. from Canada, and all U.S. Customs required was the Canadian registration (which is the same as a title in Canada) and the Bill of Sale; they then issue an "Informal Entry Certificate" (for $5.00), which you need for any U.S. DMV to title/register the car.

I'd suggest the Canadian buyer you referred to in the original post to contact Canada Customs at the port of entry where they plan to bring the car across the border and find out what they require - it WON'T include any kind of "Certificate of Origin" other than the U.S. title, as there is no such document for any U.S.-titled car.
:beer

In the US, the proof of ownership for a new vehicle is the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) or the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) and used when creating an original title.

I think a statement of origin for importation is a different document than that provided by the manufacturer in the USA and has a different meaning.

Check these sites for Canadian imports.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/mj/import.htm

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/faq/menu-e.html

Google will undoubtably provide more.

Rob, i've re-imported my 82CE from Germany, but did not need any Statement of Origin to do so. The "title" (KFZ Brief) in Germany was invalidated when i gave the registration back (with plates) and when it arrived here, i had to get a dupe US-title from the original to get it registered (oh and of course pay taxes on a sales estimate.. :mad). At the time, they (Customs) said that because the car was only built in the US and never intended for Export, it was considered a re-import, ie. lowered the tax bill and didnt need a boat load of other certificates.. Hope this helps.
:w

PS: Oh: She was originally exported in '91 to Germany by someone else..

MSO was included in title search

Before I bought a used 97 GMC pickup about 2 years back ... I had my South Carolina DMV run a title search ... they returned to me (for about $40) a complete title history including crappy quality photocopies ... including a crappy photocopy of the original MSO. I had to go to main DMV in capital city Columbia to get it over the counter in real time ... Shazam, I got it in less than 2 hours ... complete with MSO.
JACK:gap

Here's a link to the website of Transport Canada which should give all the details necessary. There's a few funky regulations but most of them are geared toward safety standard on newer vehicles. Vintage or antique vehicles aren't subjected to the same standards.

-Mac

Also try www.riv.ca which is the website for the Registrar of Imported Vehicles. It provides the most detailed instructions for importing vehicles into Canada.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom