Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: OEM Alarm

R

rfhall50

Love my '80 C3. It is one I drive, not hide in the garage. I am sure it has been through several out-in-the-sun mechanics (one step worse than shade tree mechanics).

I used it to jump the battery on my lawn mower the other day and it seems to have set off the alarm. (????) I should have flipped the knife-switch on my battey disconnect but didn't.

The alarm has not worked in the year 2 years I have had it, but if you do the "turn the driver side door key" thing, I can hear something click behind the radio in the console area. When I drove it just after using it to jump the mower, the radio and the overhead light would come on for a few minutes then cut off for a while, then on, then off, etc. After a couple of days not driving it, I found that the square metal 20 amp fuse (slow blow maybe) in the fuse box is blown. Trying to put in another fuse but continues to blow it. Simply resetting the alarm using the driver door key does not resolve it.

Any ideas ????? I would really like to disconnect the OEM alarm. Can't find any doc and how to do it. I understand why anybody that knows the answer is gun shy about letting it out.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Bob :hb

I don't know about the '80's but in the '81's,there is a relay that can be pulled under the center console,it is near the ash tray,on the driver side of the console.This relay will disable our alarms.

good luck

Sounds like you have a short circuit somewhere??? Even if you disable the alarm, I would still be concerned for obvious reasons like fire, etc. Do you have a shop manual to troubleshoot?

Thank you to Vette79 and bill81vette for the replies.

First off, I definitely agree with you concerning the shorts. Regardless of whether or not I want to use the alarm, the short must be located. I don't have the shop manual ....... yet ! I did however see a reference to a web site that has some color coded charts that show how different components are tied together.

As much as I hate to get beat, I have turned it over to my local "60's style" SERVICE station that I trust. WIll keep the info on the alarm console relay. After I can get it back to standard running condition, will look for that relay.

Again, thanks to both. Will let you now what happens.....

Bob :thumb

Purchase the 1980 assembly instruction manual (AIM). AIM shows the installation of the factory alarm. Order a reproduction owner's manual. It has a blurb about arming and disarming the system. Remember: doors and t-tops are included in the 1980 factory alarm system.

:)

Once again, thank y'all for the input. I appreciate everyones help.

Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom