Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil change! How hard can it be?

C4Paul

Corvette
1980 coupe / 1994 LT1 coupe
I have changed the oil in my Z16 today and can not believe how hard this is.
1, Filled up oil filter with fresh oil and screwed it back in.
2, filled the engine with 6 quarts of oil and started up the engine. Almost immediately I had a message on the DIC LOW ENGINE OIL! Topped up a bit more and the message is gone.
Do not get me wrong this is easy; however with fresh, clean, brand new oil it is almost impossible to check the oil level on the dip stick. I just can not see the line.
How much oil should 2004 Z06 take for oil change including oil filter?
:eyerole

I have changed the oil in my Z16 today and can not believe how hard this is.
1, Filled up oil filter with fresh oil and screwed it back in.
2, filled the engine with 6 quarts of oil and started up the engine. Almost immediately I had a message on the DIC LOW ENGINE OIL! Topped up a bit more and the message is gone.
Do not get me wrong this is easy; however with fresh, clean, brand new oil it is almost impossible to check the oil level on the dip stick. I just can not see the line.
How much oil should 2004 Z06 take for oil change including oil filter?
:eyerole

6.5 qts. per owner's manual ...Mo1 5w30 IMHO

BTW, I admire your "hands-on"! I went to Mister Oil Change and I had to tell 'em how many quarts she took and even then, I had to insist that I was right ...they wanted to put in five! I showed 'em the manual.

I let them talk me into changing the differential fluid as well. I used to change all this stuff, but I'm getting old and it's real hot here! And the damn car is too low for me.

Cheers!

BTW, I admire your "hands-on"! I went to Mister Oil Change and I had to tell 'em how many quarts she took and even then, I had to insist that I was right ...they wanted to put in five! I showed 'em the manual.

I let them talk me into changing the differential fluid as well. I used to change all this stuff, but I'm getting old and it's real hot here! And the damn car is too low for me.

Wow, keep bringing it there and you're just asking for something major to go wrong. :ugh

"1, Filled up oil filter with fresh oil and screwed it back in."

I'm not knocking the way some change their oil/filter but is this a new procedure? I usually just drain the oil, remove/replace filter, replace drain plug, then fill it up with oil. If I'm doing it incorrectly let me know.

I'm not knocking the way some change their oil/filter but is this a new procedure? I usually just drain the oil, remove/replace filter, replace drain plug, then fill it up with oil. If I'm doing it incorrectly let me know.

some people think that helps get oil moving quicker through the system i guess, i have never done it... seems to me knowing how i get i would just end up wearing it somehow;LOL....

and as far as taking your car to one of the quick change places ehhhhhh i completly understand not wanting to crawl under your car but before i would take my car to one of those places ever again i would try to find a regular garage maybe even running a special to do my service.....

heres a true story about a guy who now runs a jiffy lube somewhere in florida...

my former nephew in law calls me up one night and asks me where he has to go to get a new tire for his girl friends car cause they got a flat.. so i send him to my friends shop the next day... he calls me after visiting asking where he can get a wheel... i figured they hit something and bent the wheel.... uhhh uhhh ... he jacked up the car, took off the damaged wheel and rolled it over to the closest dumpster and threw it away caus ehe thought they were one whole unit!!;LOL swear to god and now he has his own jiffy lube down in florida someplace.....

most garages run specials once in a while for an oil change and filter, fined someone you like and bring your own oil and filter if you like most dont mind ecspecially with high end cars

"some people think that helps get oil moving quicker through the system i guess, i have never done it... seems to me knowing how i get i would just end up wearing it somehow"

Heck, I wind up wearing it now! ;LOL

I have always pre-oiled my oil filters. It is not incorrect not to do it, but it is always better to have some oil in the filter before start up if it is at all possible.

"some people think that helps get oil moving quicker through the system i guess, i have never done it... seems to me knowing how i get i would just end up wearing it somehow"

Heck, I wind up wearing it now! ;LOL

yup.... running down my arm dripping and splashing in the drain pan..... but my skin feels so good after:rotfl my favorite was my isuzu pick up, the filter was right above the fram so it hit it and ran along it, needed to lay a tarp down to keep from having a dozen little puddles all over the place....

needed to lay a tarp down to keep from having a dozen little puddles all over the place....

Spray some WD-40 on those little puddles and then rub 'em out with a rag. Works like a charm.:upthumbs

The owners manual says 6.5 quarts and also references, if using your car for racing it is recommended to add an additional quart (total 7.5 quarts). I have changed the oil on my 2004 Z06 Z16 from day one and have always put in 7 quarts, no problems.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom