Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

oil change

jmbatt

Corvette
93 Comp. Yellow Coupe
My change oil light went on a few days ago. I've done oil changes on all my other cars but not on a Vette. Question: what is the proper way and position to place the jack ? Any thing else I should know.....it's a '93 coupe. Thanks.

jm, there are jacking points marked on each side of the car (4 total, 2 front-2 rear). You have to get down to see them but they are there. Make certain that you then place a pair of good wide based jack stands under the car before you crawl under there. We want you to stick around...not squished to a pancake. Some people prefer the car driven up on ramps. It's whatever you are comfortable with.

jmbatt-

I'm glad I only have to get under there once per year for an oil change. Here's what I do:

1. Find level, solid surface.
2. Set parking brake. Block rear wheel/s.
3. Slip OEM jack on either left or right front jacking point. I use a small rag or old sock between the jack and the narrow jacking rail to protect the surface a little.
4. Run the chassis up a couple of inches to gain clearance for your std. floor jack.
5. Slip floor jack (with hard rubber jacking pad attached) under the front center of the car.
6. Stop when you get directly under the metal cross beam.
7. Now finish lifting the front end until you feel you can slide comfortably under there from either the front end or either side behind the front tires.
8. Temporarily remove the OEM jack. It will be useless at this point.
9. Place jack stand under BOTH sides of front end. I usually place them under the jacking side rail points.
10. If the jack stands are a little short when extended, lower the car a bit with the floor jack. Until the chassis contacts both jack stands, and then some. Be careful with this; ease it down. Don't drop it down!
11. Test rock the car to make sure all is stable.
12. Turn a wrench.

You guys must be younger than me, I don't like crawling around on my back on the floor. Actually here's the way I do it. My son-in-law pictured here. I'm a "tad bit" older. ;LOL

garageremodel-fourpostliftassemb-17.jpg

Before I got my lift this spring, I would take it down the the local high school auto shop and use their lift.

corvetteradiator003.jpg

I know, I know I'm a smart @ss. :boogie

Thanks you guys. I like detailed descriptions and thats what you guys gave me. If I could get my hands on a low profile jack that would fit under the car then I wouldn't have to use the OEM jack at all correct? By the way, the car has 100k...shall I use 5w-30 as recommended or go a 10w-30 becuase of the mileage? And how about the AC Delco PF52 oil filter? Thanks again.
Do like that comp. yellow!

Tom, that is an interesting lift at the school. What keeps the arms from slipping away from the tires ?
I also noticed diff wheels.
Glenn
:w

Glen it is a standard 2 post lift with the "tire cradles" added on as an option. The cradles are rounded on the inside and as the lift raises, the tires conform (somewhat) to the shape of the cradle. It's a very good system as I cannot get the arms to swing under the car and lift it like a "normal" vehicle.

I've developed a heathy fear of jackstands and I now jack up the car and just put a couple of 2 inch think concrete blocks under each of the tires. They're dirt cheap at home depot. It puts the car up enough to slide under there and with the parking brake on and the car in gear it's not going anywhere.

Scott

Tom, that is an interesting lift at the school. What keeps the arms from slipping away from the tires ?
I also noticed diff wheels.
Glenn
:w

Different exhaust too. Stock at the school shop, Borlas in the later photo right?

Rhino ramps make changing oil very easy. The Corvette is the easiest oil I've ever changed on any car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom