Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil drain plug leak

spiral gray

Corvette
2004 Spiral Gray Metallic
I'm new to the forum and would like some input to my problem. I have a 2004 corvette which is 6 months old that has developed an oil leak at the oil drain plug. Has anyone had this problem on a C5? Thanks.

Spiral Gray,

Welcome aboard. I don't remember hearing about that problem. Did you develop a leak after having the oil changed? I believe the oil pan is aluminum, so you don't want to over tighten the drain plug to the point that it strips the threads.

I did a search and didn't turn up anything. Maybe some other members will come along with some info.

Tammy :w

Oil Leak

Spiral Gray,
I changed my oil at 1000 miles and didn't see any oil leak. I can't remember if there was a washer on my drain plug but I think there has to be so you might want to check to make sure it is there.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I do like your choice in colors! I have an 04 Vert Spiral Gray and I get a lot of complements on the color.
Stosh

spiral gray said:
I'm new to the forum and would like some input to my problem. I have a 2004 corvette which is 6 months old that has developed an oil leak at the oil drain plug. Has anyone had this problem on a C5? Thanks.

Congrads on the '04...I have one also and when I changed my oil for the first time I bought a magnetic oil plug from GM(just a few bucks) and it has a built in black rubber gasket just like the original plug did but there is a small magnet at the end of the plug that catches any metal shavings that may have slipped by the oil filter or that didn't go through the oil filter...buy one..the rubber gasket on the original plug may have been defective...so it didn't seal....:)

BTW...I just looked at 2 spare magnetic plugs I bought and the rubber gasket seems to stick out just a bit more than the original...so that may be your problem...:upthumbs

Thanks to all for the input. I have under 3000 miles and I have not changed the original oil, but plan to do so soon.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom