Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil fill tube with "breather"?

Blu ByU

Corvette
'04 CE LeMans Blue Coupe, 1978 Pace Car
Pardon my ignorance, but what does the Breather do? It's a replacement for the stock oil cap on the valve cover, i'm just not familar with what the breather is for... Any help appreciated!

Well, I kind of answered my own question... I called Mid America and asked them what it does. They said it allows more air into your system, which in turn gives you an increase in HP. Is anybody familiar with this at all? They look cool, but I really question the effectiveness...

If your engine is stock and you add an opening to the crankcase such as you would if you utilize a breather, the ECM will see it as a vacuum leak and the engine isn't going to run right. ;)

Well that takes the cake! Why in the world would Mid America make the darn thing, then? (Can you tell I already ordered one :) ) Maybe for an engine that is not stock? It's in their catalog under the "Looking Good" page, so I just figured it was some bling....

Ken said:
If your engine is stock and you add an opening to the crankcase such as you would if you utilize a breather, the ECM will see it as a vacuum leak and the engine isn't going to run right. ;)

Never mind. I called Mid America again and got a totally different story, basically exactly what Ken said above. Needless to say, I canceled my order. Ken, thanks for saving me the headache & money!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom