Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil leak

cstarr89

Corvette
1981 charcoal grey coupe auto
Well, last weekend I pulled her out of the garage and parked her out on the street for about 15 minutes so that I could clean the garage. I left her running while I was cleaning and then pulled her back in. Come to find out a day later she leaked about a half a quart of oil onto the garage floor. I have since checked the oil level and it was full and right where it should be. There has been very little leaking since the first day maybe a few drops. I have not started it since so I don't know if the oil pressure is down. I have been thinking that it could be the oil pan gasket considering it probably hasn't been changed in oh 15 years or maybe more (before I got the car). But I am concerned as to what this could be it has never leaked before this. Do you think it is safe enough to start and check oil pressure? I'm not sure as to where I should begin any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

p.s. something slightly scrapes as I pull her out of the garage but i'm fairly sure its the exhaust so never really thought to much of it. Maybe it was the oil pan after all?

Check your oil level again. If it's OK, then the leak is a slow one. Before you start it, I would jack the front up and put some jackstands under the frame and look to see where the oil is dripping from. It may be a loose oil filter, or a pan gasket that is leaking. You can check for low hanging objects while you're under there.
Check all of your pan bolts to make sure they haven't loosened up and caused your pan to drop.
The most prevalant places for oil to leak are from the filter, the pan, the dipstick seal, the intake manifold gaskets, the timing chain cover, the rear main shaft seal, or from the pressure sender.
You should be able to see an oil trail from the source once you get underneath.

If you have a good pan seal, and the oil level is good, then if you start it, watch your oil pressure gauge carefully. If you have no pressure or hear your lifters clicking, shut it down. You have bigger problems to tackle.

Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it. After a start up and making sure the oil pressure was ok I went for a very very short ( barely out of the driveway) drive around the block. I immediately realized what the problem had been. Power steering was completely out. I pulled back into the garage and checked under the car sure enough the power steering control valve looked like it just took a bath in fluid. I looked under ecklers magazine and they have a rebuild kit that includes four hoses and the control valve. I believe this is all I would need for the job but seeing how i've never replaced this unit before I thought i would ask and see if this is a pretty easy job for a DYI garage guy or should I look to my friendly mechanic?

again thanks

Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it. After a start up and making sure the oil pressure was ok I went for a very very short ( barely out of the driveway) drive around the block. I immediately realized what the problem had been. Power steering was completely out. I pulled back into the garage and checked under the car sure enough the power steering control valve looked like it just took a bath in fluid. I looked under ecklers magazine and they have a rebuild kit that includes four hoses and the control valve. I believe this is all I would need for the job but seeing how i've never replaced this unit before I thought i would ask and see if this is a pretty easy job for a DYI garage guy or should I look to my friendly mechanic?

again thanks
A bunch of us have done them recently.
Sometimes it's easy, sometimes there are problems.
If you are good with a wrench, then it is a pretty simple task.
Sometimes the pittman arm joint doesn't like to come loose, sometimes the valve is stuck on the end of the relay rod.
There is a bolt you have to take out of the valve that clamps it onto the end of the relay rod, then you unscrew the valve off the rod after removing the hoses.

You can do the whole job through the wheelwell after you remove the tire.
Here's some links to prepare you.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...100512&highlight=power+steering+control+valve

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...=67524&highlight=power+steering+control+valve

Try to get all the old power streeing fluid out of the pump, any old fluid might have small pieces of old seals or other foreign material , in it. This will probably void any warranty on the rebuilt control valve.

It is actually a pretty simple job. You will need a pitman arm puller, not a pickle fork.

A good one will look like this:

http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip...ail/initialR,NONAPP302/shopping/selectZip.htm

You may come across a large and a small puller. Go with the smaller. The pitman on the corvette is pretty narrow, so the large puller is too big.

Another tip, before you take of the wheel, turn the steering wheel to the right. That will move the control valve to the driver's side and make it easier to reach.

And make sure to thread the new control valve all the way on, or else you're steering wheel will not be aligned with the wheels (trust me).

If you get stuck, ask questions. Plenty of us have experience.

Good LUCK!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom