Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Oil Pan Blues

C3alex

Corvette
1978 L-82 Silver anniversary
Need to remove oil pan on my 78 Automatic...clean, repaint and install new gaskets. Looks like i'm gonna have to remove the P.S. cylinder and related rods to get it out. I removed the trans underpan and dropped the rear of oil pan down but only so far,, the front half hit the top of the steering cylinder and wouldn't drop down any further. Does anyone out there have a secret passageway to sidestep all the additional work.:confused.....and NO, i'm not interested in pulling the engine:D....Thanks Alex

Disconnect the power steering ram from the left frame rail.

Remove the idler arm bolts.

Pull the entire steering linkage downward enough to clear the pan.

Remove the pan.

All i did was unbolt the idler arm(the one on the right frame rail) and lowered the linkage, that gave me enough room to replace the pan. did mine on my garage floor, boy was that fun.

Thanks abunch guys....

I've never "dropped" the pan before and surely appreciate the info.:upthumbs

Yep, just unbolt the idler arm and pull down on steering linkage to remove oild pan. You may have to fiddle with the torque converter cover as well.

Also helps to turn the crank so the timing index line on the balancer is at 5 o'clock (as viewed from the front); that will get the front counterweight on the crank up out of the way and give you more clearance to get the pan clear.

:beer

Nice one John. I forgot all about that. This was definitely important.

Also, buy the one piece (blue) Felpro oilpan gasket as it comes with some nifty little plastic clips that hold it on and locates the pan while you are trying to get the pan back in place.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom