Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

oil press

chevy6673

Corvette
1973 Corvette ,1966 ss impala
my oil press is 34 when i drive ,but when am at a light or stop sign it drops to 14 or lower also when i corner fast and tight or have to stop on a dime the car dies out it has a little over a 100.000 miles :beer

What viscosity oil are you using? With that many miles it might be time to step up to a thicker oil. As long as you have 7lbs of oil pressure for every 1000 RPM you should be fine.

First thing I'd do is check your oil pressure gauge accuracy by disconnecting the stock oil pressure line from the engine and temporarily connecting another, known-good gauge. If that one also shows 14 psi at idle, then I'd say you've got low oil pressure and, with over 100,000 miles on the engine, you may need to overhaul the motor.

You can try a higher viscosity oil but that's not going to solve an engine wear problem though it might add 2-5 psi oil pressure.

Cars dying under brisk cornering or heavy braking are normally associated with carb flooding , on a holley , this is often fuel sloshing out the vent tube and going into the carb and flooding the engine. Solution is to use a vent tube extension in the carb or if the air cleaner allows it to use a section of rubber hose over the vent tube to extend it.
On other carbs , you might check float levels.

I dont think 14 psi oil pressure is at idle is anything to worry about..when it drops to 0 or very low or rises very little from idle pres when accelerating than you might be concerned. If the engine is performing well , no knocking or other concerning noises and not using exessive oil or smoking , why worry?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom