Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! OK...did I do something wrong or was it Murphy's law?

Corvette
1981 coupe
I noticed that the inside hinge cover (driver's side) 81 model, was about to fall off. Sounds simple. You go to Ebay, buy a package of new acorn nuts & pop em' on. Right? Well...NOW the drivers seat back won't fold down. NOW WHAT? Thanks!:mad

My 81 seat issue......solved?

Ok, after replacing the acorn nuts on seat hinge cover, seat REFUSED to tilt forward. I started poking around inside the hinge area from the front, between the cushion & the hinge with a small flat blade screw-driver. Felt something move. Seat is operational again. I'm wondering if when I popped those acorn nuts on with a hammer, did some safety gadget activate so the seat would not tilt like in an accident? DUH! All I know is it's working now. HOO-RAH!

yes you did!!!!
glad to hear you fixed it!!!!

The hinges on the seats have an inertial" switch" that stops the seat collapsing forward in a crash. It is a simple pendulum that locks the seat from moving forward. I assume yours is a little sticky and got stuck when putting the cover back on and then freed up again. Some wd40 will probably fix the issue from ever happening again

Soooo it wasn't Murphy's ghost after all!

Thanks for the tip. I was scratching my head & kicking my own butt (mentally) neither of which worked until I started poking around in there with the screw-driver.:duh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom