Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ok? Gas tank door locking problems

Adding to this old thread. I ended up at the dealer and bought a new actuator and installed it myself. I think I paid around $79.00 dollars for the stupid thing. I was going to buy the spring kit, but my pin was pretty worn. Ya my spring on the old one disinigrated inside, so the pin would get lodged. Bit the bullet on this one.

Adding to this old thread. I ended up at the dealer and bought a new actuator and installed it myself. I think I paid around $79.00 dollars for the stupid thing. I was going to buy the spring kit, but my pin was pretty worn. Ya my spring on the old one disinigrated inside, so the pin would get lodged. Bit the bullet on this one.

At first my gas cap light came on DIC and cap would not seal so dealer replaced gas cap under warranty. Then gas door stayed open wouldn't shut so again under warranty dealer replaced the whole cable and actuator to gas door.
:Twist :r :_rock

At first my gas cap light came on DIC and cap would not seal so dealer replaced gas cap under warranty. Then gas door stayed open wouldn't shut so again under warranty dealer replaced the whole cable and actuator to gas door.
:Twist :r :_rock
I can't believe the price on that thing. I could understand $30.00 at the most. They see you coming.

I started this post to gain some answers about the fuel door actuator assembly, which I did. This especially true as the dealership wanted me to schedule a 15 minute appointment with a tech for $85.00, then if it was discovered that a part would be needed, I could order the part. When the part came in, I could schedule another appointment at some high labor rate to have it installed.

At least now if someone has the same problem they should be able to search the Internet, and get a link to CAC, where they will find all kinds of information about the fuel door actuator, including pictures and the procedures to either replace the assembly or rebuild the assembly.

I for one hope this is what Rob is looking for with the possible start of a how to section.

I also paid just under $80.00 including taxes for the complete assembly.

Fuel cap replaced and fuel door actuator cable replaced 3 visits total

I started this post to gain some answers about the fuel door actuator assembly, which I did. This especially true as the dealership wanted me to schedule a 15 minute appointment with a tech for $85.00, then if it was discovered that a part would be needed, I could order the part. When the part came in, I could schedule another appointment at some high labor rate to have it installed.

At least now if someone has the same problem they should be able to search the Internet, and get a link to CAC, where they will find all kinds of information about the fuel door actuator, including pictures and the procedures to either replace the assembly or rebuild the assembly.

I for one hope this is what Rob is looking for with the possible start of a how to section.

I also paid just under $80.00 including taxes for the complete assembly.

My gas cap message came up to check gas cap and I discovered it wouldn't lock so in one vist I took it to dealership and they had a gas cap in stock to replace my original under warranty. Shortly after that my gas door would not stay shut. After 2 visits they replaced the actuator cable to the fuel door releasee as they first had to find problem and then order part. I can't imagine what this would have cost me besides 3 visits in time if I had no warranty. Yes they can see you coming it is called "Corvette Tax" and for those of you with aftermarket non stock exhaust they can hear and see you coming to pay the Corvette tax.:crazy :r :duh :( :puke

It sounds like the door lanyard may be binding slightly because of a pinch in the sheath around the cable. There may also e a slight bit of dirt in the sheath that is slightly binding it. - Ron

It sounds like the door lanyard may be binding slightly because of a pinch in the sheath around the cable. There may also e a slight bit of dirt in the sheath that is slightly binding it. - Ron

Just had dealer fix it under a warranty repair.

I swapped mine out a few months back. Expensive part alone from the dealer. The install was fairly easy with the info. posted here on the CAC that gives you a good look at the access to remove it.

I swapped mine out a few months back. Expensive part alone from the dealer. The install was fairly easy with the info. posted here on the CAC that gives you a good look at the access to remove it.

Dealer will not charge you as it is a factory covered part under warranty.

Dealer will not charge you as it is a factory covered part under warranty.
I bought the part directly from GM +/- $79.00 if I recall, and replaced it myself. You were covered under your own warranty.

I bought the part directly from GM +/- $79.00 if I recall, and replaced it myself. You were covered under your own warranty.

The C-6 is covered under the 36 mo./36,000 miles warranty that comes with the car and that covered it all. I wouldn't spend extra money for a part that I get free and free installation.:crazy

The C-6 is covered under the 36 mo./36,000 miles warranty that comes with the car and that covered it all. I wouldn't spend extra money for a part that I get free and free installation.:crazy
Me = 2003 zo6 (not under warranty) Not too crazy is it?

The whole electric fuel door mechanism to release the fuel door, or keeps it locked costs $79.00 at the dealer. Access to it is through the driver's side rear wheelwell, and behind the left rear trunk panel on the C5's. You must remove the brake duct also on the zo6. The spring that keeps the pin out to latch the fuel door gets corroded and disinergrates inside it's housing. This results in a latch pin that stays retracted within the housing, not allowing the fuel door to latch, so the fuel door is always open.

Thank You!!!

Hi Folks -

I had the same problem with my Z06 - but I did not buy the whole actuator.

The problem (at least with mine) is that whenever the car gets wet, at the car wash, in the rain etc, the release plunger guide can fill with water, leaving the spring to rust and deteriorate.

Eventually, the spring will break and or gum up the plunger with rust debris.

I bought a spring assortment at Lowes and repaired mine for $4.90.

If you could buy just the one spring it took, it would be under a buck.

Here are some pics of what I did to my Z06.

mqqn's C5 Technical Information Pages - Fuel Filler Door Release.

best regards -

mqqn

mqqn - I have a 2007 XLR V with the same issue. I followed your instructions and made the repair. The only variation was that I had to purchase my spring assortment from Home Depot. I appreciate your taking the time to share your knowledge and experience...

Derrick109

mqqn - I have a 2007 XLR V with the same issue. I followed your instructions and made the repair. The only variation was that I had to purchase my spring assortment from Home Depot. I appreciate your taking the time to share your knowledge and experience...

Derrick109

Good to know - you are welcome, sir!

best

mqqn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom