Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

OK!Help again Please, "Certified Vette Mechanic" ??

Idaho Slim

Corvette
1996 LT1- Blk/Blk. 1996 LT4 - White/Blk
I thought i had read here and elsewhere, that a Chevrolet dealer have "Certified" Corvette Mechanics, that get specialized training to work on our vettes? However, I just called the local chevrolet dealer and the service writer said "No" such designation, soooo, what is the story?? I need to get my Vette manifold oil leak fixed and I am leary of anyone not famailar with the complicated corvette motor taking it apart:eek . Anyone?? thankyou.

It just means that they, the ASE Certified Mechanics or Technicans as they prefer to be called nowadays, are supposed to have some additional training specific to the Corvette. Not always are they so trained. ;)

Some dealerships that do a lot of Corvette sales, should have at least one tech that will be the primary person to work on Vettes. The "Factory-trained" tech is long gone. Most dealership techs receive video training or on-line training in-house in addition to being able to look up repair procedures on terminals located around the shop or by grabbing a service manual.

Get the manuals, I did this job on my 95. It was not a very complicated task.

I was way to affraid to let anyone at the local GM dealers work on my car. I took lots of pictures and was going to review them if I forgot where things went. Didnt need to.

I no longer trust any "mechanic" to work on my vette, let alone those monkeys that work at the dealerships who couldn't care less about our vehicles. If I don't have the right tool for the job I go get it, if I'm not sure about the repair procedure I ask someone. Can't wait untill I have to buy a lift.

:_rock Same here...I do it myself. But if you are planning it, by all means get a manual.
The intake manifold isn't difficult. I just did mine, and the front cover, and the transmission, and the oil pan...etc.

Slim,

I would also suggest trying to track down the local Corvette guys and see where they take their cars to. I think the majority of us in here do our own cars. You can do it yourself too. You did the air filter lid with our help and you can do the manifold with our help.

Snap us some pictures and ask questions. The answers will start pouring in. :upthumbs

whooo EE! I'd be a tad scaredy kat tearing this manifold apart, altho I have done 4 or 5 others, couple 72 chevy trucks, old 76 bronco, my street racer 70 Nova, but the engine of my C4 makes me a tad apprehensive, i usually doo most of my work, except for the big stuff, rear-ends, trannys, etc., and all the new crap in my Powerstroke F-250. I sure would not want to make a mistake, specially since this is the wifes daily driver. What kind of things would I have to look out for that is different??

You know, just because someone has had lots of training on a particular vehicle, they could still be a "flake." I would take the suggestion of one of the previous posters and get some referrals.

You don't have to be "trained" to do this job. You have to be competent, trustworthy and experienced. I would rather have an experienced guy that I trust even if he has never seen one before, as opposed to someone with skads of training that I know nothing about.

This goes for any car work. If you can't do it yourself, ask around and find someone who is competent and trustworthy. Odds are that this person won't be working at a dealership. That's a good thing, since the dealership shop rate is probably double everyone elses.

Good luck,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom