Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Old School A/C versus conversion

nashville68bird

Corvette
1982 Collector
My 1982 Collector has a good running A/C system but its starting to blow cool air, not cold. Would like to hear from any of you in the same boat and if you converted to the new refrigerant, or payed some local shop to refill the old style.

Three years ago we had a leak in one of the hoses. We have a close friend that does all our Corvette work at an area Chevy dealer that I don't do myself. He changed the hose and did the R34 conversion. Can't tell by looking at it that it has been converted. It's been fine ever since. I had it out last Saturday on a very hot day The car has always been hot inside with the glass tops but it's as good as it ever was.

Tom

I had mine converted 10 years ago,still work great!!!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ouch. Just talked to two local shops on recharging the old stuff......way too expensive. I'd better start researching the conversion kits.

I have a '69 that will be getting converted to R34, due to it's going to need new hoses and a condenser. With my two '72's, I'll continue to paddle the R12 canoe, thanks to a R12 donation by good friend. If one of those need new components, then I'll go R34 with them.

Picked up the 60 dollar "conversion kit" from Oriellys. The video CD that came with it appears to be an easy job. Only concern is how do you know the old R gas/freon is completely gone and the system is empty?

How do you know the old R gas/freon is completely gone and the system is empty?

Do you have a set of charging gauges? With the engine off, if you hook a set of gauges to the system, it will show if there is any pressure on the system. If you don't have a set of gauges, with the engine off, and wearing eye protection, long sleeves & gloves, you can push down briefly on the schrader valve in the charging port to see if there is pressure in the system.

Sermon mode on. The eye protection, long sleeves & gloves may sound like overkill, but a good friend of mine received a nasty frostbite burn to his hand and arm from momentary contact with freon when removing a charging hose from a system and a piece of trash got under the seat of the schrader valve. If you are not sure of what you are doing, it's really best to pay someone to do the conversion. We all like to save money, but it's not worth getting hurt. Sermon mode off.

134a

There is more to a good comprehensive conversion than what the kit might let on. The old oil is not compatible with the new and it is recommended that the "O" rings be changed to the green ones. If you do it yourself, at least take it to a shop so they can evacuate the system by vacuum rather than just taking the pressure off the system. Hopefully the kit has a flush capability.

What about the o rings inside the compressor? I still have some R12 at home and as long as I can get my hands on it for a good price I'll use it. The mechanic that put the R12 and new oil into the system said that the R12 will cool better then the R134 but on the other hand, will you notice it?

Greetings Peter

SUCCESS! Had the system professionally purged on the way home last night (no charge to me and he checked for leaks) and then I successfully converted the system to R-134a. At first I thought it was a lost cause because the empty compressor was heaving and hissing, fluctuating between 25-45 PSI through the first two cans of air/oil.....thought I had component failure somewhere in the system and almost gave up.....then with the third can the compressor suddenly quieted down, relaxed and the PSI began moving up to where I needed it to get to (about 90% capacity). Blowing very cold air now and no longer making any noises at all. Thanks to all for the advice and info.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom