Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

On the Road Again, and Stinkin

H

Hijinx

Well, finally got the '73 back together and on the road again. Even got to drive her to work a few days this week. Runnin great and with some exhaust changes sounding better than ever. Only problem I still have is that she stinks of gas fumes every time I drive her and gas milage has dropped even further. I guess I am going to have to break down and get another carb to see if that's my problem. Could also have some evap canister issues, have not checked that yet. I have another Q-Jet, but have been considering getting a Street Demon. I am more concerned about the smell than the milage (not expecting great milage). Do not have any fuel leaks, but the garage reaks (and so do I) after a drive. Any thoughts. I looked through the threads, but mainly only found info on actual fuel leaks.

Rod,
Double check the fuel pump or fuel lines for leaks. My pump leaked at the bottom weep hole and I never noticed it until I felt around the bottom of pump.

Roy

Hmmmmmm

All my smog stuff is gone from my 73. Lines plugged etc & etc and I get no smell what so ever.. can you see fuel leaking or sweating from the carb area?

After you run.. is the oil thin..like the diaphram in the fuel pump leaking into the engine oil?

My big smell is oil leaking & burning off the block and I'm missing a firewall gromett so ANY under the hood stink comes thru RIGHT NOW.

Mike

Checked everything over a couple of times and cant find any leaks. Its not a leak down type of smell (ie..not raw fuel). Its more of a burnt fuel smell, like its running too rich. I have leaned it down though. I think it could use some rejetting. This is not my forte, so I want to find a local guy to help me out. Hope to go to a local club meeting soon. I will check with some of the guys there. If anyone has any other suggestions, please post them. Thanks

I would think about checking the float level in the carb. If the level is too high, or if the needle and seat are sticking or are just plain shot, the carb will percolate. Just a thought . . .

Hijinx

Before I put my Q-jet on the shelf I discovered a real stinker of a leak. Fuel was dripping, very very slowly, from around the throttle shaft on the carb. It evaporated quickly because the intake was hot. The only clue I had was a green/blue stain on the intake, directly below the throttle shaft on the drivers side of the engine. Another notorious place is the S hose on the fuel pump. If you think it may be a very rich condition, you could verify it by pulling a spark plug. If your running that rich the plug should be quite black.

carb

Hijinx,
If you are going to rebuild the Q-jet send me an E-mail i have a very long attachment for you.
tom

Siphon

Dunno if this applies here ... but here goes. A couple years back, my Qjet float stuck down. To add insult to injury, the 71 vette was parked nose-down on about a 30 degree grade ...with FULL gas tank. With engine off (it would not crank) it was steadily pouring gas through the carb and into the manifold. Apparently (guessing here), while needle-seat was stuck open, the carb was siphoning gas through the return line from the "uphill" fuel tank.
JACK:gap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom