Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Opinions please! Where to start.

kridgley

Corvette
1975 Corvette, White T-Top
Dear Experts;

I have finally graduated and landed a great job - and in turn making more money. Which now mwans i want to spend it all on my baby ... no not the wife, the corvette!

Here are all of my pictures : http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb193/kridgleyud/

My task now is ... where to start! I do not think it is numbers matching - where are the important numbers to find out if it is - the carb, intake, and air cleaner aare obviously not stock.

I am thinking of keeping it stock if it is numbers matching, or if it already a mix-matched car then leave it looking stock but wake it up and turn it into a weekend warrior sports car (crate motor,etc.)

last season I had the trans rebuilt, But for now, what would you all do to it?

Open to opinions, criticism, and of course encouragement and advice!

Thank you all.

...where to start! I do not think it is numbers matching...

First thing is to determine just how original she is. Check the numbers on the pad on the engine block at the front of the right head. Jot down the two numbers you will find stamped there. These will be the engine identification number and a VIN derivative. Check the VIN derivative against your VIN. Jot down the codes on the trim tag attached to the driver's door hinge post.

Purchase the 1975 assembly instruction manual (AIM) and the GM chassis and services manuals. A copy of The Corvette Black Book is a handy item to have. Order a reproduction owner's manual if you don't have an original.

Drive and enjoy the car for a while (through summer, maybe). Make a list of things she needs. Hold off on jumping in to a frame off restoration.

Once you know what you have, you can make a better determination of where you want to go.

Looks like a nice '75.

Remember: C3 driver's WAVE!!

:w

Thanks Mike,

I bought the car 4-5 years ago and just kept up with the maintenance and kept it running. Like i said, trans rebuilt - because it really needed it, and the brakes replaced (master, booster, lines, calipers, hoses, rotors, and pads!). Now I want to start tackling it the right way!

Going to look tonight after work at the numbers and see - its sad i never thought to check numbers matching before ....

And we cant forget the wave!! Thats one of the best parts of driving her, that and the looks i get from envious drivers, admirers, and the long face when i smack the p**s out of a ricer ....

Too bad the C-5 owners (for the majority) dont wave.

Your car is a doppleganger of our 75!
the fun part of this hobby is that you can go any way that you want. If you want to do a full restore, you can, if you want to go full custom you can. Either way you are doing it right.
With ours, we have the stock L48 but when we got the car, it was missing all the emissions equipment and had a straightpipes and dual mufflers replacing the exhaust. It has a ton of miles and has hit a few deer in its lifetime and pretty much everything is worn out. Our goal is to keep it drivable and be able to enjoy the car without having to worry about keeping it pristine (aka garage/trailer queen).
Our plan is to keep the L48 until it bites the dust, then replace it with a crate motor. Since the car's a cruiser versus a performer we can live with the anemic power but with the new straightpipe/Flowmaster exhaust it sounds the part :) We just got some aluminum wheels to replace the rallies and I got them all polished up and can't wait to get tires on them. Again, not original to the 75 but it's what we wanted. Eventually it will be repainted (once the wife can decide on a color) since the current white paint is tired and oxidized in some areas and bright and shiny in others (thanks to the Alabama wildlife).
Whatever you decide, have fun with it, keep the smiles of everyone you meet going and save the wave!!!!
Thanks Mike,

I bought the car 4-5 years ago and just kept up with the maintenance and kept it running. Like i said, trans rebuilt - because it really needed it, and the brakes replaced (master, booster, lines, calipers, hoses, rotors, and pads!). Now I want to start tackling it the right way!

Going to look tonight after work at the numbers and see - its sad i never thought to check numbers matching before ....

And we cant forget the wave!! Thats one of the best parts of driving her, that and the looks i get from envious drivers, admirers, and the long face when i smack the p**s out of a ricer ....

Too bad the C-5 owners (for the majority) dont wave.

You should build the car the way you want. No offense but a 75 isn't going to be a high collectible so drive it, spend all your new found cash on gas and see what you want to do after you get some miles on it.
I have a totally original 75 L-82 4 spd, gymkana coupe. I gave it to my son and he pulled the eng, replaced it with another and we went through the car.
He's going to build one of my custom diff's with 411's next and use it as a track and around town car. Do it while you can.
Whatever that is, good luck with it and enjoy:upthumbs

Jeff, great looking car.

Based on the pictures, how bad is the surface rust situation on my frame and what should be done address this ... short of a frame-off resto.

More bad news ... I was looking for the trim tag - in the driver door jam, near hinges under windsheild pillar ... i found two rivet holes and no tag!!! That is where it used to be? or could it maybe be in another location? I would like to paint it the original color, I KNOW WHITE IS NOT, the area around my VIN plate are green as well as evidence in other areas, bit how to tell original interior color?

... I was looking for the trim tag - in the driver door jam, near hinges under windsheild pillar ... i found two rivet holes and no tag!!! That is where it used to be?... or could it maybe be in another location?...

Yep. That's where it used to be. There would have been no other factory installation location.

.. I would like to paint it the original color, I KNOW WHITE IS NOT, the area around my VIN plate are green as well as evidence in other areas...

Go with the green since you've found evidence of green in places a repaint usually misses. The green around the VIN on the windshield post might be zinc chromate primer on the birdcage. VIN tag and immediate area around it should be semi-flat black.

...bit how to tell original interior color?...

A complete interior color change is a big task and most folks don't do it. Go with what you have. Pull up a small area of carpet near the doors behind the seats or under the sills and see if you find evidence of original interior paint. Some of these areas were painted interior color. The Black Book lists black, medium saddle, neutral (light tan, if memory serves), and silver as possible stock colors with factory green.

:)

Cool,

I think since there is no trim tag left on the car, Im going to the factory green, and keeping the (mostly) tan/md saddle interior.

One longshot option is to drop the tank and hope there is a build sheet on it - wouldnt that include original set-up?

She runs good and I'd have no issues driving her through the summer. Id like to do something to it - maybe tackle the interior one weekend - at least carpet, door panals, dash pad (get rid of that plastic cap).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom