Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! paint stripper for my C1

smiley

Corvette
vette
hi , guys , I am new to the forum, I am seeking a paint stripper that will remove paint from my 1961 corvettee , any ideas ?? what works for you ??
many thanks, smiley

Welcome to the CAC

Also welcome to the C1 Forums.

There are several choices if you are looking for a chemical stripper. Some are hard on the glass surface and others don't remove anything but the paint. In my opinion always use a water soluble stripper and not a mineral based product. In my younger days we stripped many a Corvette, even some that had metalflake paint on them. Our stripper of choice was a product called "Zip Strip" available in hardware stores. It was a semi gel that brushed on and would stay soft for a good long time offering plenty of time to scrape off the goo. Being water soluble it was easy to clean off the residue with a pressure washer and water neutralized it so anything missed in crevices didn't come back to haunt you through your new paint.

It's a messy job and be careful not to get stripper on any plastic trim that you want to re-use. We stripped a '55 Ford 2 door in a quarter car wash one Sunday afternoon in 1967. The car came out great in just a couple of hours. The car wash, not so much.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom