Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint Stripping vs. Sanding

greenstingray

Corvette
1985 z51 coupe, 1969 green convertible
After spending the winter fixing up the 85, I am a point now that I want the car repainted. I have a couple of questions for any who has some experience with this. 1) Should the car be sanded down. 2) What about media blasting 3) Is a chemical strip the way to go.

The car has been repainted before but its not good paint. I was thinking of using Dupont Chroma Base with Clear Coat.

Lastly who ever painted the car before hit the hood with a "DA" so there are some bulls eyes on the hood. Can this be fixed someone told that the hood can be gellcoated. What is gellcoat and is it spayed on? Thanks in advance.

From what I've heard keep the stripper off the vette. If it gets down the matt it will keep bleeding through.
Sanding it slow and labor intensive but the safest in the long run.
Media blasting will eat the thing up unless the people doing it have lots of experience on fiberglass.

JS

I own a body shop, I wont touch a car thats been stripped. Sand it. You will only end up with a non repairable mess. Dont believe anyone that tells you that they sell the right stripper that wont ruin fiberglass.

Paint

I am sanding on my 86 and I am taking my time and doing it right.(it's my baby)
It is time consuming but well worth it. It will be done right and if it isn't I will only blame myself.
Listen to the radio and enjoy it. You will be more satisfied with the job knowing you did it.
Have fun with it.......

I stripped my '59 in '71 using Zip Strip. It is water soluable and a pressure washer will get the residue out of the crevouses. As soon as you hit it with water it's done working. The main reason I stripped it was because it had been painted 5 or 6 times in it's first 10 years of life. If it had been never repainted or just one repaint I would have sanded it. I sanded the last 2 coats off the way it was. If you strip any part of the car NEVER use a stripper that is not water soluable. A solvent based stripper wil activate when any new solvents , like new paint, come in contact with it. Any residue in any crack will lift the new paint.

The DuPont Chroma system is an excellent choice.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom