Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Parking Brake Adjustment

Vette79

Corvette
1979 L-48 Black Coupe
So, I'm in the process of replacing rotors, brake pads, and rear parking brake assembly. I managed to reinstall most of the parking brake assembly last night. I replaced most of the pieces and parts such as the shoes, springs, adjuster, with Stainless Steel. My question is, other then following the shop manual and using the AIM, are there any tricks or tips to follow in adjusting the Parking Brake that the documentation may not cover? Any info on adjusting the Parking Brake would be helpful. :)

Always adjust the parking brake shoes first through the adjustment hole in the rotor, then adjust the cables.

Always adjust the parking brake shoes first through the adjustment hole in the rotor, then adjust the cables.

Hib, I am installing the adjuster sprockets soon and then the rotors. I have directions on adjusting the parking brake and it seems a bit easy....hope I didn't jinx myself! Then checking for rotor runout. Should finish up this weekend.

Don't forget to perform the burnishing procedure as shown in the Chassis Service Manual - it will knock off the high points on the new shoes and provide more contact surface between the shoes and the drum surface inside the rotor. You may need to re-adjust the cable afterwards.

:beer

Don't forget to perform the burnishing procedure as shown in the Chassis Service Manual - it will knock off the high points on the new shoes and provide more contact surface between the shoes and the drum surface inside the rotor. You may need to re-adjust the cable afterwards.

Hi John,

I must have missed this procedure. Please explain.

You mean bedding in the brake shoes and pads?

OK, so everything is back together and the new primary brake system functions very well. New rotors and Hawk Performance Brake Pads made a hell of a difference. The Parking Brake has been difficult to adjust. Followed the procedure several times. Followed proper bedding in of brakes but can't seem to get the parking brake to hold the car. At 40 mph when I engage the parking brake fully it slows the car gradually. If we adjust the parking brake at the shoes through the hole any further then we can't turn the rotor by hand. I don't have much more room at the equalizer on the cable to adjust. Could use some imput as to why the parking brake will not engage properly?

Jeff,

Did you replace the cable going from the e-brakes to the equilizer. I replaced my e-brakes early this spring on my 79 and had the same problem. Turns out that cable was streched out so far there was no more adjustment. I changed out that cable and had e-brakes and plenty of adjustment left.

Jeff,

Did you replace the cable going from the e-brakes to the equilizer. I replaced my e-brakes early this spring on my 79 and had the same problem. Turns out that cable was streched out so far there was no more adjustment. I changed out that cable and had e-brakes and plenty of adjustment left.
Nope, I sure didn't replace any of the cabling. It's a thought.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom