Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Parking brake question

Dood1

Just replaced the upper spring on the right side parking brake shoes. I noticed that the top of the shoes don't sit against the brake bolt in the middle, are they supposed to? As you can see in this picture, the shoe on the right isn't making contact with the bolt, if I tap on it I can get it closer, then the one on the left doesn't make contact. Does it matter?
Also, I noticed that if I put on the parking brake, then release it, then rotate the rotor backwards, it seems to hang up, until I rotate it forwards, then it's free and stays free.

If I remember right, the adjustment bolt is on the bottom. There should be a pivot bar that has slots in it that the shoes fit in. That should be right below the spring in the picture. If the shoes are not in the slots correctly, then that would explain why when you move one of the shoes closer to the bolt, the other moves away. See if you can get both shoes as far in the slots of the pivot bar as possible.

Hopefully this will help!

Bill

Yes it does make a difference, even with the bottom ajustment all the out the top should still sit flush in the grove, sothing is hanging you up, make sure your cable is loose enought to allow the brake to return to a closed possition, most likely the piece that pushes the shoes apart when the lever is pulled is not sitting in the right place on the shoe.

clar2001 said:
most likely the piece that pushes the shoes apart when the lever is pulled is not sitting in the right place on the shoe.

That's what I was thinking, but it looks like it's where it's supposed to be. Kind of hard to see with the wheel hub in the way :( But it looks as if the lever is in the grooves in the shoes. Maybe it is the cable that's hanging up, but as I remember it felt loose. I'll have to double check it today.

If the cable is too tight or not filly released (is the handle all the way down?) it will hold the shoes apart.
Scott

Cable was too tight. I remember tightening the cable adjuster a while back, trying to take up the slack, and I guess I over did it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom