Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

passive key system

Chris N,
There is a procedure for interrogating the CCM, however, you are OBDII & my manual is for 95.

Its possible the FOB is inop. Before I bought a new one I would try to find someone with a working unit whose willing to let you try it. Thats probably tough to do.
If you decide to buy you can check e-bay or try Jeff Kopp at Superior Chevrolet, 800 728-8267.

Have you checked the PKE fuse? Its no. 26 on the pass/side fuse panel.
:)

keyless entry

Chris N. You can purchase a new key fob transmitter from Eckler's - on page 51 of their most recent catalog. Since the price is fairly high( $129.99,) I would suggest taking Rabbit's advice and trying another that you know works. If the '96 is "programmed" similar to my '93, and I think it is, it is pretty straightforward, and the owner's manual does an excellent job describing the procedure. By the way, the transmitter is different for the convertible as opposed to the one for the coupe'. Hope this helps.

Ron

Chris N,
Heres another source for FOB'S.

Remotes Unlimited.

1-877-719-1900
Might help with comparison shopping?

Cris N,
Try the really simple things first, they may sound "dumb" or you may have tried them already but it's worth a try.
1. If you have a volt meter, check the new FOB battery, brand new batteries have been know to be DOA. I don't know what the minimum voltage has to be for the system to work, but if the voltage is 75% or less than the stated voltage for type, you probably got a bad battery, go exchange it.

2. Check the Batt terminals to make they are clean, no finger prints allowed. Wipe with a clean paper towel just to make sure.

3. Check the transmitter contacts make sure they are clean, use a pencil eraser very lightly to clean even if they look clean. Sometimes oxidation reduces the electrical contact, especially in high humidity areas.

4. Double check to make certain the battery is installed correctly.

5. Now try to program the FOB to your car per the owners manual, if it works one of the four above solved the problem.

6. If it doesn't then see if you can try to program it to a friends Corvette, if it works start looking at the car, fuses and relays first.

7. If you are looking for a new transmitter fob, try GMpartsdirect.com they have some very good prices on genuine GM parts. Good Luck!
Vettepilot

I have been trying to get help with a similar problem. My PKE has not worked for over 1.5 years, as long as I've had my 1996 vette. What's worse, is that it spuriously opens the rear hatch, one time cycling several times until I pulled the right fuse. Usually, it is just inoperative and causes the PKE alarm light to come on solid for awhile and then turn off. I am betting that it's the receiver, since it does all this without any signal. I have the service manual, but am not eager to begin the complicated troubleshooting procedures.... Any ideas? Is this something that someone has seen before?

I'm in the same situation, solid PKE light, never goes out unless key is completely off. I tried to put it in programming mode and I can never get it to blink.

I have a 96, bought a second transmitter but let’s assume it's working at this point, I still can't get into programming mode.

The steps I take are:

1. Place transmitter over 10' away....no problem it's in the house, at least 20' away.

2. Turn key on, don't start.

3. Push Trip/ODO twice.

4. Push Fuel/Info until PKE light comes on....well it's already on so I hold it for a few seconds...could this be the problem? Hold longer?

5. Turn key off but leave key in. No blinking PKE at this point so the remaining steps are not followed.

I do not have an owners manual but I have a Chilton’s manual, and look for instructions via the web. If anyone as a troubleshooting guide to the PKE I would love to try it.

Thanks Rick

If you have a solid PKE light, I think you need to put it into the "diagnostic" mode. This is done by grounding pin 8 of the Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC) above the gas pedal. Decipering the codes it sends is all but impossible. I replaced my PKE receiver over last weekend, so I spent some time making sure everything was OK before putting the dash board on again. The best I can tell is that a code sequence is sent after a blackout of 5 seconds. Then the light is on for 2.5 seconds, off for 2.5 seconds, etc. until the code is sent. It is very difficult to be sure what it is sending. I never figured out for sure how it responds to a signal from the transmitter, but it seems to give it as the "Second" code after you transmit. It also stops any code being sent immediately.

My light would typically not stay on for very long. It turned out that the old receiver has code 12, which is bad memory.

I think the directions for entering the programming mode are "vague". I have the service manual, and it gives a slightly different method. It says to hold the Trip/ODO button down for 5 seconds on the second push. I had to hold the fuel/info button down a long time to get it into the programming mode. I was able to enter the programming mode even though my receiver was "bad". It no longer recognized my transmitter once it had been removed from the car/unplugged.

Your Dealer should be able to check your FOB and see if it is signalling. I just went thru this on my 94 and ended up buying a new FOB ($150 or so). Had to follow the directions in owners book to re-programm and had to do it three times till it finally worked. That was a couple of months ago and it has worked every since. The new Fob comes with directions to program.

1. Remove transmitter from card. Place transmitter and any optional transmitters 10 feet or more from car.

2. Turn ignition switch to the ON position.

3. Push the TRIP/ODO button on the Driver Information Center (DIC).

4. WITHIN 5 SECONDS, push and hold the FUEL/INFO button on the DIC until the PKE light on the DIC comes on and stays on.

5. Turn the ignition to the OFF position, but leave the key in the ignition. The PKE light will come on and begin flashing.

6. Bring one transmitter into range. When the system recognizes the transmitter the PKE light will stay on.

7. To program an optional transmitter, move the newly programmed trnasmitter out of range and repeat step 6.

8. Remove thew key from the ignition or turn the ignition to ON. The transmitters are now programmed to the vehicle.

Now to turn off the system:

1. Take the ignition key out of the ignition.

2. Press DOOR on the transmitter until the door locks cycle ( about 2 seconds).

To turn the system back on repeat the above steps.

To check that the system is off, turn on the ignition. The PASSIVE KEYLESS ENTRY light on the DIC should not come on.

Just so you know, each of the steps is crucial when programming. There is no room for error. I found I would screw one or the other things up so that's why it took me three times to do it right. About a 10 minute job.

Randy

Hope this helps. If you have more questions do a search under "keyless entry".:w

Thanks, I will give that a whirl.

What's the receiver cost? and based upon your comment I assume it's located behind the dash somewhere that requires the dash pad to be removed? That will give me the excuse I need to remove mine as I wanted to glue a leading edge down anyways.

PKE Won't Disable

I replaced my PKE receiver, as I've already stated, and now I can't get my PKE function to "turn off" or disable, such as you mentioned above by holding down the door button. It seemed to work the first time I tried it, but not again. Is there a switch in the door that might not be working? It only Opens the lock, but never cycles it shut.

PKE Turned off Probably

So I have read the owners manual. It says nothing of how to turn the system back on. I bought a new fob but I can't even get it to enter programming mode. Have a 96 lt4, pressed trip/odo twice and within 5 seconds press and hold fuel/info untill pke light flashes. However the pke light never comes on. And yes the fob is out of range and the ignition is on. I checked all of the fuses. The instructions that came with the fob detail the same as in the owners manual, except with the instructions included the last bullet says if auto function does not work, the receiver is disabled. Turn it on per your owners manual. I can't find anywhere in the manual where it says how to turn on the receiver. I also tried pressing and holding down the door button on the fob it does nothing. I read somewhere that the pke light flashes a code if it's broken, but I haven't seen the pke light come on yet. I'd rather not take it to a dealer to find out what's wrong. Hopefully someone has something.

This post started a few years ago. If you held down the door button on the fob for more than 10 secs. or so...it's not functioning.Thats the method for turning it on or off. When you hold down the door button, & the system is off, it shud unlock the pass/side door only.

Lock the car by using the electric lock on the drivers door. Give it a minute or so & press the door button & see if the pass/side door opens?

If it doesn't I would suspct the PKE module or fob is faulty. If you changed the fob battery recently it might be worth trying to reseat the battery.

If your familiar with retrieving codes from the dlc......you shud be able to pull the pke codes. If you don't thave the instructions I can forward them to you.

Where's vettepilot?

?

Will the activation of the system via pressing and holding the door button still work if i am using a new fob that has never been associated with the car? The fob I got with the car was busted beyond repair.

Will the activation of the system via pressing and holding the door button still work if i am using a new fob that has never been associated with the car? The fob I got with the car was busted beyond repair.

It has to be programmed, otherwise you can open anybodys car.

You say the programming procedure does not work.

This may sound funny, but check in the storage compartment behind the pass/seat under the seats & in the compartments in the doors for a fob. It happened a coupke of times before that fobs were left in the car.

If the fob won't program as per instructions then the problem has to be diagnosed, which I'm sure you already know, before you throw any money at this thing.

There is a procedure I can send you, providing you are familiar with pulling codes via the DLC. Not difficult, but like aything else can be a little confusing at first.

Let me know what your gonna do. My e-mail i lsylvestri@sbcglobal.net.

One thing I have experienced is that when you buy a brand-new FOB the battery is deliberately placed in it backwards to prevent drainage. Make sure the battery is installed correctly. I have seen this several times.

All ya gotta do is put the key in the ignition, do not even turn it on. Then press and hold the door button on the FOB, the door locks will cycle. After you get it working you never have to press the door button again, if you do all you're doing is programming it again but this time from outside the car. Like I have said many times, this was the number one reason Vette drivers took their cars to the dealer. It really is a good system once one has a clear understanding of how it works. But like Rabbit said, if you pull a PKE code then there's something else going on. Hey, good one Rabbit! I never considered that there may be a hidden FOB! :upthumbs

Paul

Another point of view

Rabbit's post struck a note; his point was that a forgotten fob 'hidden' under the seat or elsewhere will bumfuzzle attempts to program a new fob.

My '95 PKE is blinded by my cell phone. If the phone is in my pocket, the FOB range is reduced to about 6 inches. If the phone is charging in the car, the PKE is totally inoperative. If the charger is plugged in but not the phone, random failures occur.

So make sure your phone is removed and if you have a radar detector, GPS, etc, turn them off and remove the charger too. And make sure there's not a forgotten FOB in the car.

Good luck.
PS When changing from 'on' to 'off' or vice versa(key out of the ignition) or from one to two door operation or vice versa(key in the ignition) be aware that when holding down the door button ---- after a few seconds the lock will twitch, keep the button down for several more seconds then the locks will fully cycle and end up open. You must wait for the full cycle in order to change the mode.

I also noticed that at the mall where we live the FOB frequency gets stepped on BIG time by the cell phone towers. I have to practically be inches away from the door. :ugh As for my cell phone I have a Samsung but that never happens. I guess your cell phone's freq is very close to the FOB freq. And my GPS doesn't cause it any trouble either. It can be a flaky system. When I first got it I was perturbed every time I washed the car with the keys in my pocket because it would lock/unlock and beep the horn constantly. :bash So now I keep the keys away from the car when I wash it. :cool

O.k. So new problem

Well I tried everything I made sure to leave my cellphone in the house. The next day I took it to the dealer and the fob was not functional according to the tester. And I did make sure to flip the battery around, even tried it both ways just in case. So I'm guessing that's the problem. However I have a new problem that sprouted up. The starter now appears to be disabled. I drove the car home after picking up the new fob and went through everything I could think of and all the things I read on the site but never tried to start it. The next day it snowed so I didn't drive it, however the morning after that I went out and nothing. The lights are strong and everything works fine but when I try to start, nothing. I let it sit untill I got home from work and still nothing. When I was trying the steps to program the fob the pke light never came on so I assume it's still switched off. The only thing I really did to the car was pull a few fuses but I've made sure that they are all seated.
I used to have a 87 and that thing had vats problems, it was always when i was in a hurry to get somewhere it'd disable the starter for 5-30minutes. But that was a big issue with the vats back then from what I've read. Haven't found any issues regarding vats in the 96. What the heck?
On a side note, it's great to get so many responses to my questions. Thanks to everyone for the help. :w

:)
Well I tried everything I made sure to leave my cellphone in the house. The next day I took it to the dealer and the fob was not functional according to the tester. And I did make sure to flip the battery around, even tried it both ways just in case. So I'm guessing that's the problem. However I have a new problem that sprouted up. The starter now appears to be disabled. I drove the car home after picking up the new fob and went through everything I could think of and all the things I read on the site but never tried to start it. The next day it snowed so I didn't drive it, however the morning after that I went out and nothing. The lights are strong and everything works fine but when I try to start, nothing. I let it sit untill I got home from work and still nothing. When I was trying the steps to program the fob the pke light never came on so I assume it's still switched off. The only thing I really did to the car was pull a few fuses but I've made sure that they are all seated.
I used to have a 87 and that thing had vats problems, it was always when i was in a hurry to get somewhere it'd disable the starter for 5-30minutes. But that was a big issue with the vats back then from what I've read. Haven't found any issues regarding vats in the 96. What the heck?
On a side note, it's great to get so many responses to my questions. Thanks to everyone for the help. :w

When it rains it pours. I assume you checked the battery connections & will have the battery load tested? Being it's snowing you'll have time to check things out. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about all the problems, 31. I'm with Rabbit. You might want to run a trickle charger on it overnight sometime and see what happens then. I know some guys who keep a trickle charger on their Vettes, (all 16 of 'em) all the time.

For what it's worth, when I first got my car I replaced every single fuse on the car at one time. I never had the problem you're experiencing so unless someone else chimes in and has seen this, battery.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom