Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Performance Upgrade

Stommer said:
Hi Everyone, How do you get the smiles to appear??? I'm not very good with this computer stuff yet.

Hang in there on the smilies. You have to get I think at least 15 posts before they are enabled for you.

You are fortunate because you have the LT-1 engine to start with. That means that your intake manifold is very friendly to performance upgrades.

Speed costs, so nickle and dime stuff won't do much for the seat of the pants feel. These things tend to run in $1K to $2K increments before you can REALLY feel the power change.

You need to do a little research (click on the specifications page here at CACC to start with) and try to determine what rear gear you have right now. You need to build around that and the transmission if you want to stay in a low budget. Otherwise, change the rear gear to a ratio that pushes the RPM higher on the engine, then, you will really feel the punch of more fuel pressure, better intake air flow, and any ignition upgrades you do. By putting a 3:73.1 gear in that car you can shave a second of the 1/4 mile time and maybe even that much off the 0-60 which is a significant improvment.

Oh, better take out stock in the major oil companies because fuel consumption will go up as well.

Good luck and let us know what you do!

69MYWAY, Thanks for the info:D How about a good source to find these gears? What does this procedure entail?;help

You can get them lots of places. Most of the Corvette Parts retail sources have them, speed shops can get them, and Summit racing and others like that can get them.

It requires removing the rear differential from the car. It is a pretty large job for a first timer, but many have done it before, so don't let it scare you. Or, you could take to a shop and have the whole thing done. The cost will go up quite a bit. Most transmission shops can either do the gear swap or refer you to a good dealer.

I have a guy here local that calls his shop.............well you guessed it...........GEARS. He can do things mail order and or bring them straight to him. He does not work on the car, only if you bring the diff to him. He rebuilt my 69 rear and several of my friends.

Cost wise, you could be looking from $300 for a great price and do it yourself to $1,300 to have it done. I am just guessing here. Call around and get several quotes before jumping in.

Hello Stommer,
I found a excelent web site which may answer any questions you might have about modifications to your vette, it's at
http://vette.ohioracing.com. The author of this site goes through all the modifications he made on his vette and gives his opinion on after market performance parts from mild to extreme. Even if you don't agree with his assesment of the parts it's still pretty good reading. Have fun and good luck to ya!

Hey Stommer,
I'm with these guys on the K&N setup. For the cost you won't be unhappy. Either with the filter and open lid on your factory breather of aftermarket. I used the SLP setup and cut a hole in my shroud. It does breath much better. As Len put it, not conjecture, more air flow, more power. It also changed the exhaust note of my factory exhaust. That tells me more is going through the whole system. And it is after all a big air pump...
I'm with Chris on the gears. Anyone who has bumped up their gears is probably quite happy. Given I have an auto I had the pathetic 2.59 gears. Now I have 3.54. Could have done 3.73. 0-60 is much better! As Chris pointed out you are more in the LT1 power band quicker. It's a lot more fun to drive :D
If you buy the gears and install kit and have some one do it you can probably get the whole thing done for about $1,000.
Graham

Thanks

Hey guys, Thanks so much for the info :) Its people like you all that make thiis site what it is today-- AWESOME!! __John :upthumbs

Oh man I forgot I already agreed with you once cause it was your birthday. Oh well another New Years resolution gone... :grinshot
Graham

ken, when you say "open the stock air filter housing" what do you mean? I am lookin at either a vortex rammer intake or the k&n filters, which would you suggest? I want a nice intake to compliment my cat back corsa that I am dreaming about. Thanks for any imput
matt

Matt, the lid that holds the air filter element in the housing, if your '95 is anything like my '87, has a set of louvers through which the air enters the box. If you cut out those louvers, the air flow is less restricted and allows for a few more cfm of air to pass through.

_ken :w

OK, Ken, I have "searched for an hour"

And still cannot find a pic of how this is done, by your descrition, i just cut out the "outline" of all the louvers?? So that it is one big open hole?? Thanks for any replys.:confused

Idaho Slim said:
And still cannot find a pic of how this is done, by your descrition, i just cut out the "outline" of all the louvers?? So that it is one big open hole?? Thanks for any replys.:confused

Yep, so it is one big open hole. Basically, you're just going to leave the outer frame to hold the filter on the housing unit.

Thanks Edmond...............

One more question...... What is the preferred "cutting" tool?? Jig, Hack, or ???
I thought I read here somewhere that it is plastic, seems to me its aluminum/tin etc. when I was fondling it this w/e.
I got my K&N and will be dooing the "CUT" :eek sometime this week, chores allowing ;) . Thanks again.

Idaho Slim said:
One more question...... What is the preferred "cutting" tool?? Jig, Hack, or ???
I thought I read here somewhere that it is plastic, seems to me its aluminum/tin etc. when I was fondling it this w/e.
I got my K&N and will be dooing the "CUT" :eek sometime this week, chores allowing ;) . Thanks again.

It is aluminum. I will take some pictures for you. I'll post them in less than 15 minutes! :)

Here are before and after pictures...

This is what the stock filter lid looks like:

filterlid.jpg

Quite restrictive in airflow!

This is an image after:

cutfilterlid.jpg

I used a jigsaw and then a metal file to smooth out the part that I cut.

PS. I know, my filter needs to be cleaned! But I haven't brought the car out this year since the gas prices are so high! :eyerole

Edmond, Man you are fantastic!!! That clears up alot of questions!, but hehehehe.............One more :D , mine (96) has an extra sheild on the front which is riveted on, I assume :eek that i am to take that off also, which is what I am going to doo as we speak, since its all tore apart and I am getting the grinder out :eek.

If anyone has done or knows if i am to take this off also, I would appreciate a quickie answer. Thanks again.

(so glad I joined this forum, so glad I joined this forum ) :TALK :Twist

Slim,

I'm assuming that you have a K&N air filter? You will definitely be able to notice a small difference, at least I did and that was with the stock mufflers. I've switched to Flowmasters since. It's definitely louder. :)

Whew!! Well Its all done, kinda tentative taking a 5000 rpm GRINDER! to the Corvette :eek :eek ... But it looks like it all worked great, took a little longer than I anticipated, but maybe thats cause i wanted it nice and straight cuts.

Thanks Edmond and Gary;worship your tutelege and help made it very easy compared to if I had been doing it blind.

I attached pics of my final result, I took some gloss black paint and covered up the bare metal, I think it looks a tad cleaner. The K&N could have been a better fit:mad ,but I finally got it all lined up, thanks again!:upthumbs

Idaho Slim said:
Whew!! Well Its all done, kinda tentative taking a 5000 rpm GRINDER! to the Corvette :eek :eek ... But it looks like it all worked great, took a little longer than I anticipated, but maybe thats cause i wanted it nice and straight cuts.

Thanks Edmond and Gary;worship your tutelege and help made it very easy compared to if I had been doing it blind.

I attached pics of my final result, I took some gloss black paint and covered up the bare metal, I think it looks a tad cleaner. The K&N could have been a better fit:mad ,but I finally got it all lined up, thanks again!:upthumbs

Slim,

Do you feel a small difference? I'm glad that it worked out for you. Much cheaper than paying $70 for the cut lid.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom