Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Performer RPM Cam and Manifold.... Good riddance!

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
I'm convinced that the Performer RPM cam is too much for street use. I'm gonna lift out the engine again, and replace the cam to something more "streetable".... while I'm at it, I'm also gonna lose that Performer RPM manifold to replace it with something that will fit under the darn hood!... Hind sight 20/20.

Does anyone know the camshaft specs for a stock 350 / 350hp? Also, does anyone have recommendations for a "close-to-stock" cam that will work with my 64cc Performer RPM heads (#60899)?

Thanks.

you can get a "stock replacement" cam for the 350HP Hydraulic from Speed Pro which is a division of Sealed Power they should be availabe from most speed shops.

Question what rear end gears are you running? that is a major consideration in cam choice.

The 350/350hp (L-46) cam is reproduced by Federal-Mogul/Speed-Pro as their #KC-1095R (kit with cam and lifters); 224/224 duration @ .050", .450"/.460" lift, 114*LSA, takes their #VS-739R springs. Nice street cam. :)

fine69, it's hard to recommended a cam with so little information. We know you have compression chamber volume of 64cc. Also needed would be...
Bore -
Stroke -
Compression Chamber Volume - 64cc
Head gasket thickness -
Deck height -
Piston valve pockets -

All the above numbers will equal compression ratio -

The above needs to be known to order the proper cam, but I'd think you want something with alot of duration to avoid detonation. And as stated your rear gear ratio if not stock. You can call Comp Cam at 1-800-cam-help and see what they might recommend also. Not that I'm a Comp Cam fan, I just remember their number
I'm sure the members here at CAC can help if you can supply the missing information.

bossvette said:
you can get a "stock replacement" cam for the 350HP Hydraulic from Speed Pro which is a division of Sealed Power they should be availabe from most speed shops.

Question what rear end gears are you running? that is a major consideration in cam choice.

Thanks Bossvette. I believe the rear gears are the stock ones.

fine69 said:
I'm convinced that the Performer RPM cam is too much for street use. I'm gonna lift out the engine again, and replace the cam to something more "streetable".... while I'm at it, I'm also gonna lose that Performer RPM manifold to replace it with something that will fit under the darn hood!... Hind sight 20/20. Does anyone know the camshaft specs for a stock 350 / 350hp? Also, does anyone have recommendations for a "close-to-stock" cam that will work with my 64cc Performer RPM heads (#60899Thanks.
I think you'll be happier w/ less cam ... I almost said just that a while back:
Jack said:
.510" must be Performer RPM ... not just Performer Edelbrock 7102 cam is a lot of flat tappet cam for a street 350 ... lotsa intake duration ... 'specially one so dependant upon vacuum.
valve lift .488"/.510"
duration @ 0.050" 234°/244°
ICL 107°
ECL 117°
LSA 112°
JACK
----------------------------------------------------------------
JohnZ said:
The 350/350hp (L-46) cam is reproduced by Federal-Mogul/Speed-Pro as their #KC-1095R (kit with cam and lifters); 224/224 duration @ .050", .450"/.460" lift, 114*LSA, takes their #VS-739R springs. Nice street cam.
1095R is also same cam as in L82. I think it wise to step down from the RPM cam ... but I think the L46/L82 cam is a bit small for your 64cc/4spd ... suggest another choice is Federal-Mogul/Speed-Pro KC-1062R (kit w/cam & lifters)
valve lift .468"/.480"
duration @ 0.050" 220°/231°
LSA 110°
1062R also takes their VS739R springs but the edelbrock springs should do well.
Speed-Pro tech line 1-800-325-8886 ... ask for Jim ... he's not in India ... he's right here in USA, he's been w/ the company for a long time and he's been pretty darn helpful ... he's also a real car guy ... not just a csr.
JACK:gap

I binned the Performer RPM cam in my 81, as I have said previously it pulled like a train all the way up to the rev limiter but was a dog under 3000rpm and in town it was terrible to drive. I was riding around in second gear just to keep the rpm up in the sweet spot, needless to say this was not only noisey but expensive as it guzzled petrol like you wouldn't believe around town. I opted for a CompCams XE270 which if I remember correctly was advertised as a tourqey 4x4 cam with slightly less lift but still a decent RPM range, much smoother idle and decent tourqe at lower rpm and worked well with the rest of the Performer RPM kit.

J.

I'm really confused here! I am going with a 383 stroker with 5.7" rods, 16cc dished pistons which should net 10-1 compression w/ performer rpm 64cc heads according to the block builder. It will be running through a 700R-4 into 3.08 rears. It will also have a tuned port injection system. The builder quoted me cam specs with just slightly less lift and duration as the ones Jack gave for the performer rpm cam and said it would be great for a street car. Then I read this thread and am starting to have doubts! I don't plan on racing the car, I just like the sound of a fairly radical idle. I'm not concerned about vacuum cause if there isn't enough, there is always an electric vacuum pump. I don't know enough to have an educated opinion so here I am again asking for help. Thanks, Art
I forgot to add that a 2000 stall speed converter was recommended.

Art Jett said:
I'm really confused here! I am going with a 383 stroker with 5.7" rods, 16cc dished pistons which should net 10-1 compression w/ performer rpm 64cc heads according to the block builder. It will be running through a 700R-4 into 3.08 rears. It will also have a tuned port injection system. The builder quoted me cam specs with just slightly less lift and duration as the ones Jack gave for the performer rpm cam and said it would be great for a street car. Then I read this thread and am starting to have doubts! I don't plan on racing the car, I just like the sound of a fairly radical idle. I'm not concerned about vacuum cause if there isn't enough, there is always an electric vacuum pump. I don't know enough to have an educated opinion so here I am again asking for help. Thanks, Art
I forgot to add that a 2000 stall speed converter was recommended.

well you had better be concerned about Vacuum if you are going to use a TPI. The majority of conversion TPI systems are speed density which depend on a MAP sensor (reads manifold vacuum)as one of its main triggers. If you have a constant vacuum from an electric pump it will play hell with a computer. Make sure you get a computer friendly cam.

FYI I ran a Engle 274H with numbers of 234 duration .480 lift in my 383 when it was carbed; it ran like gangbusters from just under 3000 on out with a 2400 rpm stall converter. when I put the 383 in the 76 with a TPI I used an Isky computer friendly cam with slightly more lift but with about 217 duration it pulls from off Idle and is much more smooth then the Engle was.

JohnZ said:
The 350/350hp (L-46) cam is reproduced by Federal-Mogul/Speed-Pro as their #KC-1095R (kit with cam and lifters); 224/224 duration @ .050", .450"/.460" lift, 114*LSA, takes their #VS-739R springs. Nice street cam. :)

Thanks John.

Jack said:
1095R is also same cam as in L82. I think it wise to step down from the RPM cam ... but I think the L46/L82 cam is a bit small for your 64cc/4spd ... suggest another choice is Federal-Mogul/Speed-Pro KC-1062R (kit w/cam & lifters)
valve lift .468"/.480"
duration @ 0.050" 220°/231°
LSA 110°
1062R also takes their VS739R springs but the edelbrock springs should do well.
Speed-Pro tech line 1-800-325-8886 ... ask for Jim ... he's not in India ... he's right here in USA, he's been w/ the company for a long time and he's been pretty darn helpful ... he's also a real car guy ... not just a csr.
JACK:gap

Thanks, Jack. Yes sir, you were most certainly correct about this beast of a cam... and I made the wrong decision with the setup.

How do you think the Speed-Pro KC-1062R will do for street driving -- with respect to torquw and drivable RPMs?

I called the Speed-Pro tech line, but Jim was not available. The tech was somewhat helpful.

Thanks again.

Ralph

JHL said:
I binned the Performer RPM cam in my 81, as I have said previously it pulled like a train all the way up to the rev limiter but was a dog under 3000rpm and in town it was terrible to drive. I was riding around in second gear just to keep the rpm up in the sweet spot, needless to say this was not only noisey but expensive as it guzzled petrol like you wouldn't believe around town. I opted for a CompCams XE270 which if I remember correctly was advertised as a tourqey 4x4 cam with slightly less lift but still a decent RPM range, much smoother idle and decent tourqe at lower rpm and worked well with the rest of the Performer RPM kit.

J.

JHL,

It sounds like I'm re-living your past experience, particularly the driving in 2nd gear to keep the RPMs while driving through town. Also, it's just so noisy and obnoxious.

I was not able to locate the specs for the CompCams XE270.

I am hoping that I will be able to replace the cam without having to remove the whole engine/tranny again.

Call the guys at Lunati and tell them what you want to accomplish. 662 892-1500

fine69 said:
JHL,

It sounds like I'm re-living your past experience, particularly the driving in 2nd gear to keep the RPMs while driving through town. Also, it's just so noisy and obnoxious.

I was not able to locate the specs for the CompCams XE270.

I am hoping that I will be able to replace the cam without having to remove the whole engine/tranny again.

You can change the cam with the motor in the car but you have to take the radiator out, I have done it twice now and it fairly straight forward. I hate to think what the RPM cam would be like in an auto with a 3:08 gear, mine is a manual and has a 3:70 rear end and it was hard work. First time at the strip with that combo and I had to give it about 4500 rpm from the lights, after about two races the clutch was shot. When I got it out it the flywheel was blue all in no more than 500 miles. It would be a great cam in a light weight car with some decent rear end gears but not in a Vette, just to heavy.

Then I made the second expensive mistake by putting in a $1000 twin plate Quartermaster clutch, the car was just undrivable in town, the clutch never slipped but it was fierce almost like an on off switch.

I will try and find the card for the cam and get back to you with the spec, seemed to work ok for me but maybe not everyones choice.

J.

Like I said it could pull some serious revs once it got going

:D

see_it_go_here_it_run_600x450.jpg

This is the one I used.

Com Cams Xtreme 4x4 X4270H Part # 12-243-3

Described as Strong mid range and throttle response, likes headers, gears, 2200rpm + stall.

RPM Range 1800 - 6000

Duration

Advertised
In Ex
270 278

@ .050
In Ex
226 234

Lift
In Ex
.480 .498

Lobe Seperation
111*

I think I'd better go with even a little bit milder cam than that cause you are running a 4-speed w/3.70 and I have an auto w/3.08. I don't want to have to rev it like a race car to pull away from a stoplight!
Thanks for the input.
Art

Art Jett said:
I think I'd better go with even a little bit milder cam than that cause you are running a 4-speed w/3.70 and I have an auto w/3.08. I don't want to have to rev it like a race car to pull away from a stoplight!
Thanks for the input.
Art

I am sure the smart guys here will chip in with a better explanation but one thing, I installed the RPM cam "straight up" and what I did notice was that it liked at lot of initial timing, in fact the more the better. At first I thought it maybe didn't have enough vacum so I put light springs in the HEI and that helped a little but as I retarded the initial timing more BTDC it got better eventually with a comprimise of about 16*BTDC initial timing and it was just bearable but only just, although once I bought 5 gallons of av gas just to try more octane and put another 2* in and it went like a bat of hell but I wouldn't liked to have tried that on regular petrol.

The one thing I didn't try was to mess about with the cam timing which might have helped a bit. I spoke to the Edelbrock guys a few times and in the end it seemed the car was just to heavy for the cam. It does say something to that effect on the spec sheet on The Edelbrock site. Go have a look and read the comments for their RPM cam.

Maybe I got something wrong but I have heard a few other stories about it as well. Nothing wrong with the cam it's self just not right for the application.

J.

fine69 said:
How do you think the Speed-Pro KC-1062R will do for street driving -- with respect to torquw and drivable RPMs? Ralph
1062R will work real well on street in a 4spd 350 w/ 64cc heads ... NO, not quite as smooth as 1095R ...because it's a little more cam ... a little more means just that.
SP published power range:
1095R: 2200-5500 good idle
1062R: 2200-5700 fair idle

SP's idle descriptions range from stock to rough.
SP has a few cams similar to the unwanted eb rpm and SP classifies them as:
3000-6500 rough idle.

Why wouldn't you go with a rollercam and roller rockers. Today's technology with a good torquer cam.

JHL said:
You can change the cam with the motor in the car but you have to take the radiator out, I have done it twice now and it fairly straight forward. .....

JHL,

Thanks for the cam info. Did you have to remove your damper and drop your oil pan? Were you able to maintain a good seal between your timing cover and oil pan?

Ralph

Jack said:
1062R will work real well on street in a 4spd 350 w/ 64cc heads ... NO, not quite as smooth as 1095R ...because it's a little more cam ... a little more means just that.
SP published power range:
1095R: 2200-5500 good idle
1062R: 2200-5700 fair idle

SP's idle descriptions range from stock to rough.
SP has a few cams similar to the unwanted eb rpm and SP classifies them as:
3000-6500 rough idle.

Jack,

I'm not sure if it was you, but someone here in CAC once suggested using a Summit camshaft. As I'm not getting alot of luck locating the SP camshaft, I checked out what Summit has to offer that may be similar in specs.

Here's what I found....

Summit (SUM-K1103)
Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,000-4,500 RPM
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 214 int./224 exh.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.442 int./0.465 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 112

Summit (SUM-K1104)
Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,200-5,200 RPM
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224 int./224 exh.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.465 int./0.465 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 114

and, course
Edelbrock (EDL-2102)
Basic Operating RPM Range: Idle-5,500 RPM
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 204 int./214 exh.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.420 int./0.442 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 112

Do any of these look comparable to the ones that you, John and JHL have recommended. I am very grateful for everyone's input.

Thank you.

Ralph

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom