Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Photos and Commentary on my 3-1/2 Year Restoration

Nice pics. I like your valve cover extentions. I'd like to learn more about your "hidden PCV valve". I may need some of your advice when it comes to your Hooker stainless sidepipe nightmare you went through. I'm considering the same sidepipes.

I'd like to learn more about your "hidden PCV valve".

Here is the PCV system design:
The intent was to have a functioning PCV system without cutting any holes in the original “script” aluminum valve covers. The ’64 used a PCV installed in the oil filler tube, but this could not be duplicated using the Victor intake manifold. Since valve cover spacers had to be used to clear the roller valvetrain, the spacers were drilled and tapped for PCV and breather components. Oil splash baffles were welded inside the spacers to prevent direct oil splash onto the PCV and breather tube. The system works perfectly, and is barely visible from the front and side of the engine.

Overview of PCV system from back of engine:
IMG_0420.jpg

Breather installation in passenger side valve cover spacer. The breather is pulled to fill oil using a funnel:
IMG_0421.jpg

PCV installed in driver’s side spacer. This is the mid-60’s screw-in PCV used on most small blocks:
IMG_0422.jpg

Here is the view from the front – no holes in the valve covers, and no visible PCV:
IMG_0419.jpg

Sorry for the maybe dumb question...but where is the oil fill opening? Do you have to take the valve cover off? Or is there enough size to remove that breather?

Sorry, I guess I didn't read too well....:eyerole

Excellent PCV fabrication. I always loved those scripted valve covers but never thought of a way to get them to work. I hope my sidepipe installation goes a little smoother. I always considered Hooker to be one of the best when it comes to Headers. Its a shame to see the quality of their product fall like that.

:w Lars

It seems like for a few years now I have heard much about a gentleman named Lars and his expertise with quadrajet carburetors and overall pretty good wrench around our Corvettes.

Since I don't frequent any other "Forums" (personal reasons from past experience's) I have only heard of this legend :)

I take it you are that gentleman named Lars that I speak of and have heard many things about..

It is nice to meet you, even if it is only in print and through a Corvette Forum :thumb

Your project shows the class of the man and the attention to detail. Thank you for sharing your 1964 restore and becoming a part of our Community :w

Bud Dougherty
Amarillo, TX

Hi Lars,
Been a while since we spoke, you did an exceptional job but that's not surprising. Looks great, I remember you posting a picture of that car in the snow with top down! I did the same thing with my 69 vert year ago!

Hi Gary!!! Great hearing from you! Yes, I believe if you have a Roadster and you EVER put the top up, the car should be taken away from you and you should be issued a K-Car station wagon:
driving64.jpg

Here’s my daily driver ’85 at work. We’re scheduled for snow again tomorrow, and I’m having it fitted for a plow:
85insnow.jpg

You can't see it in the photos, but your parts and advice are in my steering box - it works perfectly: the steering on the '64 is as tight as a rack-and-pinion car.

Lars

Lars,

Thanks for sharing, the car and the workmanship is fantastic. I saw your answer to my question on the suspension in the C2 section, thanks. As for the snow, I used to have a 81 as a daily driver when I lived in Denver, and as long as I kept the tank full, it did fine in the snow. That was back when I worked at Rocky Flats!!

By the way, I, like many others have also benefited from the information you've shared. Your choke adjustment proceedure on the Q-jet saved me hours of frustration, thanks again!!

Good to hear on the steering Lars, now the question, did you polish and tune the posi!

We have been snowed under since 12/27/10, so much snow roofs are collapsing all over the state, Houses,garages(my buddies 62 vette),metal buildings, Fire house,Home Depot,etc.

:w

Here are conditions today: Another 6" of snow, and I went blasting down the interstates at 65 mph, packing the tail end of the car with snow:

85inSnow2011.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom