Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

picking it up today 1973 vette

chevy6673

Corvette
1973 Corvette ,1966 ss impala
hey guys last time i was here i sold my 75 vette and 72 norton and was looking for a 73 had to have a bumper vette and i think the rearend looks great on them .. LOL got it on ebay last night i hope it is what he says it is the good part is its only 2 hours from my house so no cash till i see car took off work to pick it up around noon today , wish me luck:cool mike

Good luck and congratulations on your new vette, well hopefully.:w
post some pics if you bring her home.

Huge congrats! We want pics....still waiting:L. Enjoy your shark, I know I still miss mine.

- Eric:w

Good luck on your "73

Hope things turn out good for you. I have never purchased a car on ebay so I don't know what you should expect.The '73 I think is a great transition year Corvette with a lot of improvments over the '72 model year. I am real happy with my '73 as it is everything I was hoping for.Let us see some PICS if and when you get it home.

good news maybe some bad hope its water in gas

hey guys thanks 4 the good wishes, heres the scoop car drive good frame good drive it thursday night friday to work put in gas thursday,, tonight it would not say running ..a hour later i put some stblu in gas tank thinking maybe water in the gas.. any thouhts on that.. now its running .. on the plus side ck the numbers the guy said he did not no what motor was in it but the first 6 numbers on block match the last 6 in vin i guess its a # car if am right ..i will post some pics this weekend the motor has 97.000 miles paint job 4 years old

hey guys thanks 4 the good wishes, heres the scoop car drive good frame good drive it thursday night friday to work put in gas thursday,, tonight it would not say running ..a hour later i put some stblu in gas tank thinking maybe water in the gas.. any thouhts on that.. now its running .. on the plus side ck the numbers the guy said he did not no what motor was in it but the first 6 numbers on block match the last 6 in vin i guess its a # car if am right ..i will post some pics this weekend the motor has 97.000 miles paint job 4 years old
If thats the way it is,it sounds like a poor restamp to me!!:upthumbs

If thats the way it is,it sounds like a poor restamp to me!!:upthumbs
WHAT DOES RESTAMP MEAN U MEAN NUMBERS ON THE BLOCK HAVE BEEN GRIDED OFF THEN RESTAMPED;shrug HOW SHOULD THEY BE

WHAT DOES RESTAMP MEAN U MEAN NUMBERS ON THE BLOCK HAVE BEEN GRIDED OFF THEN RESTAMPED;shrug HOW SHOULD THEY BE

dsc00580croppedsu0.jpg

Engine Plant/ Build date/Engine Suffix/ Vin

Oh by the way this is a Poor re-stamp too!! The vin doesn't correspond with the Date!! Characters are to Striate and Organized and Stamped too deep!! ;)

Below is a known original stamp. (The last number has been blurred.):upthumbs

2.jpg

i will clean up the spot where the numbers are saturday so i can see it better and match it up to 1 or the other thanks

Good luck...

Just gotta love a '73:upthumbs

~Chas

If it's a small block, it won't look like either of the pictures above. The positions of the date and machine code will be switched to start with.

Also don't use anything abrasive to clean it, the residual broaching marks on an original pad are very easily removed or obscured. Post a picture if you can :beer

If it's a small block, it won't look like either of the pictures above. The positions of the date and machine code will be switched to start with.

Also don't use anything abrasive to clean it, the residual broaching marks on an original pad are very easily removed or obscured. Post a picture if you can :beer
OK THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IT IS A SMALL BLOCK L 48 I AM GOING TO TAKE SOME PICS OF CAR TODAY I WILL TRY TO TAKE SOME OF THE NUMBER PAD THE LAST 6 NUMBERS ON BLOCK MATCH THE VIN ON POST DOES THIS MEAN ITS A MATCH THANKS AGAIN VETTEHEAD MIKEY;shrug

THE LAST 6 NUMBERS ON BLOCK MATCH THE VIN ON POST DOES THIS MEAN ITS A MATCH

If you're asking 'Is it the original block' then possibly yes. There's three principal features to help identify this:

1) VIN derivative
2) machine code
3) broach marks

Good clear photos can help with a decision.

BTW- PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS KEY

could it be water in tank

If you're asking 'Is it the original block' then possibly yes. There's three principal features to help identify this:

1) VIN derivative
2) machine code
3) broach marks

Good clear photos can help with a decision.

BTW- PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS KEY
well took some pics today.. the ones of the number pad did not come out read able with my digital camera maybe i was to close i will try again later ,do you have any thoughts on maybe water in tank drive it to my moms so my son could cut the grass on the way back it died out it would start but when foot comes off gas it dies after 20min i rasied ideal and it stayed running and drive it home it has done this every time i take it out . guess i should pull gas line and full up a jar and look your thoughts ..thanks vettehead mikey

well took some pics today.. the ones of the number pad did not come out read able with my digital camera maybe i was to close i will try again later ,do you have any thoughts on maybe water in tank drive it to my moms so my son could cut the grass on the way back it died out it would start but when foot comes off gas it dies after 20min i rasied ideal and it stayed running and drive it home it has done this every time i take it out . guess i should pull gas line and full up a jar and look your thoughts ..thanks vettehead mikey

Check the fuel filter? Drain, clean and refill gas tank.

Check the fuel filter? Drain, clean and refill gas tank.
want to ck filter today it has a edelbrock carb it looks new but theres no filter in it.... but i seen some little black spots could the inside of a rubber gas hose be coming apart so i put a clear in line filter on to see if i can catch anything i think my next step is to take carb apart maybe theres some rubber in there looks like the top lifts off but i have never done carb work your thoughts

Never took a carb apart, neither have a lot of people. I think, I would take to a pro for carb work if needed.

Carb apart?

I have taken a Q-Jet apart before when I was a much younger man in high school auto shop. I do remember there were alot of small parts internally. I leave carb rebuilds to the pros and I am not one of them.To be a mechanic.....anyone can takes things apart or take parts off a car, but the real mechanic is one who can put them all back together again correctly.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom